News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Thoughts if keeping figures in scale

Started by JimoAi, January 15, 2022, 12:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Since animals come in a variety of sizes and the same species exhibits sexual dimorphism and size differences, it's almost impossible to get everything on scale. Scale conscious people, me included must compromise and for my case as long as it doesn't look jarringly out of the ordinary, is fine

EpicRaptorMan

Honestly it's iffy. If I buy some bears, I would like for their sizes to be consistent with one another at least.

Had a similar issues with ostriches. Many Ostrich figures are 3"–3.5" which is fine. But most all other flightless birds are the same height.
At this point I'm trying to be less conscious about it and with how my setup is it's not too noticeable.

callmejoe3

Sometimes I care less as long as its not optically distracting. For example, my SSS Maui dolphin is in the 1:20-1:23 range, but it overall doesn't appear distracting large at all when pared with the larger figures in my 1:30-1:40 scale collection,  like my blue whale or humpback. Only when next to the other dolphins or the human diver does the scale discrepancy become apparent.

Gecko08

I'm just starting to broaden my range from dinosaurs to modern species, so when i tackle a group like the cetaceans it's almost impossible to keep them all in the same scale. Even with sharks i have some figures in 1:7 all the way to 1:35

bmathison1972

Always fascinated to read about other peoples' scale preferences.

First thing, scale is out the window for arthropods and other select inverts (esp. freshwater and terrestrial) and microorganisms.

For other animals, scale is relative within the taxonomic group. For example, I like my elephants in relative scale to one another, or about the same size or so, and I like my rodents all about the same size or within a similar scale, but I don't need my elephants in scale with my rodents.

Generally speaking, 'large' animals (ungulates, cetaceans, dinosaurs, large birds, sharks and rays, large carnivores, etc.) are 'standard-sized' figures, whereas 'small animals' (small birds, rodents and lagomorphs, most reptiles and amphibians, bats, small fish, etc.) are TOOB/tube figures, Japanese gashapon-style figures, Yowies, etc.

Of course at any time, exceptions can be made for unique figures of rare and interesting taxa.