News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REAL CollectA Zebra Shark vs. FAKE

Started by EpicRaptorMan, December 02, 2021, 10:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

Real CollectA: $6.49 (via HappyHenToys)
Fake CollectA: $1.98 (via AliExpress)

So I bought a real CollectA Zebra Shark from HappyHenToys.com for $6.49...but then I saw a fake rip-off version of the same toy on AliExpress so I bought both to compare the differences and post about it.

Difference #1: The Color
The color is the most distinctive difference. The CollectA is a sandy lemon-lime color while the fake is green.

Difference #2: The Eyes
The official CollectA figure has small eyes while the imposter has much larger sclera (the white part of your eye).

Difference #3: The Underside
The fake version has a less refined underside, not as smooth or glossy and obviously doesn't have the "CollectA Zebra Shark © 2013 Made in China" and lacks the Conformité Européen (CE) logo on the right pectoral fin.
The fake also appears to be used as there are paint marks and small scuffs on the underside despite allegedly being new.

Difference #4: Final Build Quality
I'm surprised the size and shape of the fake figure is spot on! Every fin, every gill, and every nostril/mouth/tooth indentions are present. However, on the fake one there is a somewhat noticeable seam that's carved into the Right side of the body. May have been damaged, but allegedly the item is "new". All in all it's not noticeable and could easily pass as a scar.

Also it's worth mentioning the Fake does feel more like hard plastic and when both  figures are gently dropped on a tabletop the Fake has a louder clank (like a pen dropping) while CollectA's is a softer more rubbery sound (like an eraser dropping).

stargatedalek

No way it's used. Re-selling is more than it costs those companies to make new ones. That's just the paint being so cheap it rubs off on others as they are stored or shipped.

EpicRaptorMan

Plus it's a misrepresentation of the item being sold @stargatedalek which will lead to problems.

But all in all, given that CollectA is over x3 expensive the imposter doesn't look bad.