News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Homemade Kagu

Started by Isidro, May 01, 2021, 07:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

Since I've reached 100 homemade models with the Argus pheasant, the thread "My first homemade model" went too long for be comfortable to read, so from now I will post each model in a new thread. I think that is better, if admins think that for functionality of the forum should be in the reverse way, please tell me.

This time a very mighty bird: the Kagu (Rhynochetos jubatus). Sole member of it's entire family, this bird, unable to fly and endangered, it's endemic to New Caledonia island (I think is the biggest endemic animal of that island). New Caledonia is an island that looks like extracted directly from Jurassic period. Notable vegetation are very primitive kind of conifers (many endemic species of Araucaria, podocarps, cycadas) and the most primitive angiosperm of the world, Amborella trichopoda. The kagu is a bird of the size of a hen or very slightly bigger. It shows its emotions (anger, fear, excitement) by opening the distinctively patterned wings and raising the ginormous crest on the head. So in this position I showed it. In 2009, I traveled to Paris with the main, almost only, objetive of see the Kagus at la Menagérie du Jardin des Plantes. At this time I was much more obsessed with birds than now, and I was into collecting feathers (now ceased). At this enclosure I got a fantastifabulous wing primary of the kagus, probably one of the most valuable and beautiful of all the many species that I got in my feather collection. Since then I've seen kagus at some other zoos, such as Berlin and Wuppertal, but it's a rarity in captivity.

kagu1.jpg
kagu2.jpg
kagu3.jpg

Since I don't have, and probably will never have, a figurine of other New Caledonian species, I only can compare it with the closest cousins I have.
Good sized when compared with whooping crane...
kagu4.jpg

but as you know, my Great Bustard turned to be rather a Giant Bustard... :(  (I love it anyway!)
kagu5.jpg

Lanthanotus

Great work, Isidro. How do you manage to sculpt both sides of those delicate feathers? When I try to do same, the material bends away...

The bustrads paint job looks great.

Isidro

Wings are made with Fimo Air, that is more likely to break than to bend when I sculpt the other side. Sculpt the first side is easy as the flat piece of paste remains adhered to work surface, but turning it and do the texture in the other side without damaging the texture of the first side is a bit of challenge. But with patience, everything is possible :)

bmathison1972

very nice; curious how it scales with the Yowie Group figure.

Isidro

No idea, since I don't have the Yowie one. Mine measures 4 cm tall, 3 cm without the crest.

bmathison1972

the Yowie Group figure is 5.3 cm tall (crest not on display)

Advicot

Wonderful, wonderful kagu!  :D
Don't I take long uploading photos!