News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anything a figure company has done that has irked you

Started by JimoAi, February 26, 2021, 02:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Sharing our experience on what figure decision has left you being confused.

I'll start:
Why doesn't the Colorata coral reef fish set include a Paracanthurus hepatus aka the blue hippo tang. This set was released in 2004, a year after finding nemo was released and it would make logical sense for Colorata to include the second most popular reef fish in the set. I mean, they did not release a Surgeonfish ,unless you count the Moorish idol as a Surgeonfish 51HL6il2M3L._AC_ (1).jpg

bmathison1972

I can't say for sure. Every now and then there is an anatomical error that could have been easily remedied had a company done proper research, but I am grateful for the variety of species and figures available and having had a career that allows me to purchase them. As such, I try to stay positive on what companies do!

Arctinus

What Blaine wrote. Sometimes this really bugs me because extant animals are... Well that, they exist right now and there are plenty of photos and lots of research on their appearance, so making a hyper-realistic animal figure should be a piece of cake, right?  ::)

Plus sometimes it feels like companies are competing against one another (well, I guess they do in a way, but still) by making/releasing pretty much the same figures/species another company already has. I know some species are really popular, but why not make at least half or a quarter of your figures of more obscure species (and keep them in circulation).  :D Or maybe at least make them limited edition.

And then there's the deteriorating paintjob with some brands, like Papo, for example.  :(
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

stargatedalek

Just speculating, but Colorata probably produce their figures more than a year ahead of release. Especially in the early 2000's as prototyping has seen rapid advances in technology within the last few years alone allowing for faster releases.

For me the biggest pet peeve would be when companies claim to be "educational" or "scientific" or "museum quality", but release stuff that is poorly researched or often even flagrantly acting against what was already common knowledge to play up pop culture tropes or make it "cooler". This is a bigger issue with dinosaurs but there some notable examples with modern animals too.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 26, 2021, 04:30:21 PM
Just speculating, but Colorata probably produce their figures more than a year ahead of release. Especially in the early 2000's as prototyping has seen rapid advances in technology within the last few years alone allowing for faster releases.

For me the biggest pet peeve would be when companies claim to be "educational" or "scientific" or "museum quality", but release stuff that is poorly researched or often even flagrantly acting against what was already common knowledge to play up pop culture tropes or make it "cooler". This is a bigger issue with dinosaurs but there some notable examples with modern animals too.

For example...

callmejoe3

The PNSO sperm whale. The eye-placement and the truncated head were way off.

JimoAi

Another one: small animals being made bigger than big animals by companies. Also, no great orca figures are above 20cm yet

JimoAi

Quote from: Gwangi on February 26, 2021, 05:45:16 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 26, 2021, 04:30:21 PM

For example...

What seems to be the issue about it?

Gwangi

The overall proportions are all off, with the head being much too small. The texturing is off, the toy's skin is too heavily detailed whereas actual alligator snappers have smoother, wrinkled skin with fleshy tubercles. There's a weird notch in the upper jaw that shouldn't be there. The scutes on the carapace are way too exaggerated, it looks like the turtle has gone Super Saiyan. The eyes have a heavy brow that make it look angry, and the overall posture is dramatic in an unrealistic way. The bridge between the plastron and carapace is too wide and thick. It's just a complete mess, I can't see where it gets anything right.

My daughter's plush alligator snapper does a better job.

JimoAi

I also dislike when animal figures are sculpted with incomplete bodies or just heads. For example, the Eikoh Dragon moray

Screenshot_20210303_002115.jpg