News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Looking for a good Tiger Shark and Orca

Started by Loon, December 31, 2020, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I recommend the MBA tiger shark, it's rather spectacular.

Isidro

I don't know if has been mentioned because when I found this thread it already have tons of replies and is tirying to read all, but for my wishlist I've chosen long time ago the CollectA's tiger shark for my collection. From promo image is perfect. I only need to know if the real figure is like the promo image.

I dislike Safari LTD's tiger shark because the markings are too bold and too striped-pattern.

Schleich would be very perfect if was not because the markings are printed and clearly pixelated.

Loon

All great suggestions guys! Thanks!

I really like the Papo orca, but the seam around the jaw is just too noticeable and ugly for my tastes. I may also check out the Schleich version, as it looks fairly good.

Does anyone know which ecotypes those two are based on? Or are they just generic? Because I'm thinking of getting whichever I get customized with the appropriate saddle.

Also, the MBA tiger shark is probably the best looking version of that species I've seen. The larger size is alright, as my sharks aren't really to scale.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2021, 09:45:47 PM
All great suggestions guys! Thanks!

I really like the Papo orca, but the seam around the jaw is just too noticeable and ugly for my tastes. I may also check out the Schleich version, as it looks fairly good.

Does anyone know which ecotypes those two are based on? Or are they just generic? Because I'm thinking of getting whichever I get customized with the appropriate saddle.

Also, the MBA tiger shark is probably the best looking version of that species I've seen. The larger size is alright, as my sharks aren't really to scale.

Neither figures nor almost any killer whale figure for that matter is based on any particular ecotype. By rule of exclusion, the Schleich and Papo figures don't represent the Type B (small and large), Type C, and Type D ecotypes of Antarctica because they have very distinct saddle-patch phenotypes that deviate from the ''generic orca'' look. Otherwise, pretty much every other ecotype looks very close to the stereotypical orca look with only minor nuances in size, saddle-patch shape, and dorsal fin morphology in males that isn't effectively captured in most figures.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isidro on January 05, 2021, 06:54:26 PM
I don't know if has been mentioned because when I found this thread it already have tons of replies and is tirying to read all, but for my wishlist I've chosen long time ago the CollectA's tiger shark for my collection. From promo image is perfect. I only need to know if the real figure is like the promo image.

I dislike Safari LTD's tiger shark because the markings are too bold and too striped-pattern.

Schleich would be very perfect if was not because the markings are printed and clearly pixelated.

The CollectA tiger shark looks very nice but it, unfortunately, has the same mistake as the wild safari version for having 4 gill slits instead of 5.

Cachalot

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 31, 2020, 03:45:30 PMTook a photo for size comparison. Here.

The Maia Borges dwarfs the Safari figure.  I have the Safari figure.  It is about 9 inches.  I have a Mojo figure on order from Amazon.  A set like this could work as a mother and calf.
Thar She Blows!

EpicRaptorMan

I have the Papo Orca and I think the Safari Ltd. Tiger Shark (iirc).