News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Looking for a good Tiger Shark and Orca

Started by Loon, December 31, 2020, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Well, I'm on another quest. This time I'm looking for a good Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) figure. I've seen Safari's 2015 figure, but I just wanted to make sure I've explored all options.

Also, I'm looking for a decent, hopefully 1/35 Killer Whale. I think my number one choice rn is this Safari figure, but again, I'm open to suggestions.

callmejoe3

Hello, I'm the user who reviewed the Maia and Borges sperm whale on the Animal Toy Blog.

I don't have a photo comparing it to the recent Safari figure directly, but I will tell you that if you want a  ''good'' 1:40 scale sperm whale, you really have only two options. There's the M&B figure and there's the retired Monterey Bay Aquarium figure, which I do offer a size comparison on my review. In the review, I said the Maia and Borges figure was about 32.5cm, but that was a mistake in measuring, I was measuring along the dorsal side of the animal, when I should have measured the ventral side. When curved in that position, the ''outside'' of a curve overestimates the length of the figure if it were in a straight line. The Maia and Borges figure is 29cm while the Monterey Bay Aquarium figure is 28.5cm. Both would represent a whale about 37-38ft in length at 1:40. The Monterey Bay figure has mammary slits, so it would serve as a female while M&B is sex-neutral. Both figures are pretty good in my opinion, with the MBA figure being better for overall accuracy.

There's also the Recur sperm whale, though the eye positioning is really off and you might be put off because it's a hollow-plastic figure filled with stuffing. It's about a full 12 inches.

Currently, there's no 1/40 scale option if you're looking for a specimen that truly represents a mature bull of 14 meters or longer. All of these figures better represent mature females and physically immature males. The only other what is to take a nautical sculpture and repaint it like how I did.

callmejoe3

Took a photo for size comparison. Here.

Loon

Thanks @callmejoe3 , I've been a big fan of your reviews, they're very thorough, and have shown me some great info about these figures.

I think I'll try to get a hold of the MBA figure. The overall shape just looks more correct to me, especially the head and tail.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2020, 08:19:39 PM
Thanks @callmejoe3 , I've been a big fan of your reviews, they're very thorough, and have shown me some great info about these figures.

I think I'll try to get a hold of the MBA figure. The overall shape just looks more correct to me, especially the head and tail.

I believe now on eBay is a good time. I believe there are 1 or 2 listings right now.

Loon

@callmejoe3 yeah, I've been following them. Unless I'm mistaken, they seem to be two color variants, with one being a lighter grey and the other one very dark. The light one looks a little nicer, but would be nearly $50 shipped. So, I think I'll get the darker one, which strikes me as more accurate anyway and also comes with the baby Humpback I've been looking for.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2020, 09:00:42 PM
@callmejoe3 yeah, I've been following them. Unless I'm mistaken, they seem to be two color variants, with one being a lighter grey and the other one very dark. The light one looks a little nicer, but would be nearly $50 shipped. So, I think I'll get the darker one, which strikes me as more accurate anyway and also comes with the baby Humpback I've been looking for.

Yeah. I own both and the one bundled with the humpback adult and calf is the older cast that's darker. Even if the lighting is misleading, I can tell by the way the white accents are painted around the mouth. The one being bundled with the giant squid and sawfish on auction is also the older cast. The one simply listed as ''Vintage 1992 Safari Ltd'' is the one that's the newer cast. I'd definitely go for the humpback bundle, calves are definitely rare items.

Loon

@callmejoe3 if it's possible, would you be able to post a pic of the darker variant? Maybe also with the lighter one?

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2020, 09:55:34 PM
@callmejoe3 if it's possible, would you be able to post a pic of the darker variant? Maybe also with the lighter one?

I did so in this thread
http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2750.msg26814#msg26814

Loon

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 31, 2020, 10:47:38 PM
Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2020, 09:55:34 PM

I did so in this thread
http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2750.msg26814#msg26814

Wow, thanks. That was a great help. The older does seem superior in a few ways.

callmejoe3

Yeah, I personally prefer the darker color, and the paint job inside and around the mouth is a little more refined. Though one advantage I've noticed with the newer cast is that it does a better job of masking one of the seams behind the mouth.

Loon

Another search begins...

Physeter macrocephalus

Schleich killer whales are great but not in scale but the older one is 1:32 close to 1.35.

callmejoe3

For my recommendation for a 1/35 scale orca, I'd give it to the Papo 2008 orca. The 2019 Safari figure is pretty nice except for two things: no sculpted blowhole, it's pretty small if you're going for the 1/35 scale, it's about 150mm. The average physically mature male orca, depending on the ecotype, is usually well above 6 meters. At the 1/35 scale, the Safari figure corresponds to 5.25 meters, which is below average, even for the smallest ecotypes. The Papo figure is a better size, corresponding to a 6.76-meter individual, perfectly average for most ecotypes except some of the largest such as Bigg's and Type A's.

Tiger sharks are tricky. The MBA figure is better than the Safari Sea life version, but a bit big. Tiger sharks are in need of a quality figure.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Physeter macrocephalus on January 05, 2021, 07:10:25 AM
Schleich killer whales are great but not in scale but the older one is 1:32 close to 1.35.

The newest female by Schleich can work. It corresponds to a 6.8-meter individual. It's above average, but well within the recorded range of lengths for female Bigg's or Type A ecotypes, which can surpass 7 meters in length.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:11:39 AM
For my recommendation for a 1/35 scale orca, I'd give it to the Papo 2008 orca. The 2019 Safari figure is pretty nice except for two things: no sculpted blowhole, it's pretty small if you're going for the 1/35 scale, it's about 150mm. The average physically mature male orca, depending on the ecotype, is usually well above 6 meters. At the 1/35 scale, the Safari figure corresponds to 5.25 meters, which is below average, even for the smallest ecotypes. The Papo figure is a better size, corresponding to a 6.76-meter individual, perfectly average for most ecotypes except some of the largest such as Bigg's and Type A's.

Tiger sharks are tricky. The MBA figure is better than the Safari Sea life version, but a bit big. Tiger sharks are in need of a quality figure.
The schleich tiger shark is decent, if you can get pass the printing and the colorata one is nice too and is about 1/35 as it is a male individual

Loon

Wow, that was quick. Thanks guys.

Just wanted to make, sure this is the recent female Schleich whale?

JimoAi

Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2021, 07:25:03 AM

That's the one! For that and the Papo one, you have to add the saddle yourself so feel free to choose the ecotype you want with the saddle patch

Physeter macrocephalus

No its the first one but its common the product number is 16071.

callmejoe3

Yes, that was the one I was referring to.