News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animals that you believed ''Peaked'' with their figures?

Started by callmejoe3, December 21, 2020, 06:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

By this question I mean, do you think there's an animal that's been depicted by a figure or multiple figures that's so high quality and accessible at a decent scale that you think the animal can afford to not get any new representation for a while? For me, I can only speak confidently in regards to whales, since this is the only area I trust myself to be critical.

For me, the first one that comes to mind is the gray whale. I felt the Maia and Borges figure that's currently in-production through Mojo Fun is so realistic-looking, that I feel there isn't much point in releasing any more figures until these have become scarce.

Ironically, even though the orca has too many figures, I don't think it exactly ''peaked'' in terms of having a really high-quality figure. Most orca figures have their own issues minor and drastic that prevent them from being perfectly realistic.

I'd say the Humpback whale is getting there. Between the MBA Humpback and the 2012 Mojo Fun, sculpt-wise, I felt the Humpback was near-perfectly captured between these two figures.

I actually don't have too many Bottlenosed dolphins from different brands, but I'd say it's probably either peaked or in a similar spot as the orca.

The Beluga has definitely peaked, between the Papo, CollectA, and Safari Ltd releases.

Narwhal, I believed peaked with the MBA and Papo figures.

Blue whale has yet to peak as its best figures are super expensive

I'd say the sperm whale had peaked if the MBA figure wasn't retired.

Minke peaked on one of its few tries with the CollectA figure.

EDIT: Just adding this to emphasize that the figures must be accessible along with being high-quality. ''Accessible'' in this context means that it costs less than $100 and it's not difficult to find in a retailer. Generally, most retired figures don't count unless they're in high circulation in the 2nd-hand market.

bmathison1972

I'd have to ponder on this. Could be said for many of CollectA's ungulates.

Maybe the leopard seal with the CollectA, Safari, and Papo of 2017-2019

stargatedalek

It's not an animal I have a personal interest in, but between the large PNSO and Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi I think the African Elephant has earned a spot on this list.

callmejoe3

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 21, 2020, 08:18:18 PM
It's not an animal I have a personal interest in, but between the large PNSO and Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi I think the African Elephant has earned a spot on this list.

I'd say more so the PNSO model, when taking into account both the quality and accessibility price-wise.

Isidro

I think that the unbeatable beluga is the PNSO one rather than the ones you mention. As for narwhal, none have peaked in my opinion, in fact I have not any narwhal on my wishlist (nor collection) because all are too bad. The only good one is Kaiyodo but not at my scale tastes.

I think Ikimon-Kitan Club has peaked in most of the figures they made. Their Deep Sea sets and the Salamander set are both so realistic that the animals looks alive. Southland Replicas also reached perfection in many of the marsupials, namely the male red kangaroo.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isidro on December 22, 2020, 05:54:22 AM
I think that the unbeatable beluga is the PNSO one rather than the ones you mention. As for narwhal, none have peaked in my opinion, in fact I have not any narwhal on my wishlist (nor collection) because all are too bad. The only good one is Kaiyodo but not at my scale tastes.

I think Ikimon-Kitan Club has peaked in most of the figures they made. Their Deep Sea sets and the Salamander set are both so realistic that the animals looks alive. Southland Replicas also reached perfection in many of the marsupials, namely the male red kangaroo.

What are your issues with the current Narwhal figures? I don't care much for the CollectA figure, and upon closer inspection, the Papo narwhal doesn't look much better. However, after looking at the Kaiyodo Wild Rush Narwhal, I'm noticing that much of a difference in accuracy from the Monterey Bay Figure, which I own.

callmejoe3

@Isidro

The PNSO Beluga has its advantages, but when looking over it, the head seems to be a bit too large compared to the overall body when compared to most photos and diagrams I have in front of me. That's why I didn't list it along with the others.

EDIT: The retail images on stores and the box weren't reliable. Looking at the figure through a video, the head looks noticeably closer to the right size. I rescind my judgment on the PNSO beluga.

Lanthanotus

Interesting question.... for me it is somewhat difficult to answer though, as even if a figure is perfect in terms of accuracy
its pose or "style" may be not the very best in my personal opinion. An example would be the Kaiyodo Conolophus
which is basically perfect, but the pose obscures its face, which is a shame. Also, some of the AAA models are as good as
it can get, being casts of the real animals....

Anyway, to name a few truely sculpted and widely available.....

CollectA Shoebill
CollectA Turkey
Schleich Indian Rhino
Bullyland Great Toucan
Rebor Komodo Dragon (not perfect, but it won`t get better for years to come and anyway, there`s way too many
figures of this species, somone really should give some love to the others...)

Isidro

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 22, 2020, 07:47:27 AM
What are your issues with the current Narwhal figures? I don't care much for the CollectA figure, and upon closer inspection, the Papo narwhal doesn't look much better. However, after looking at the Kaiyodo Wild Rush Narwhal, I'm noticing that much of a difference in accuracy from the Monterey Bay Figure, which I own.

Well, CollectA narwhal have weird eyes, a bendy and too thick tusk, and a too fine speckling. Papo narwhal have those unpleasant white rings on eyes, a very thick and short tusk. But it have the best paintjob. Safari LTD narwhal is the most decent one in sculpt, but it needs an entirely new paintjob both in body and tusk.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isidro on December 23, 2020, 09:42:07 AM
Well, CollectA narwhal have weird eyes, a bendy and too thick tusk, and a too fine speckling. Papo narwhal have those unpleasant white rings on eyes, a very thick and short tusk. But it have the best paintjob. Safari LTD narwhal is the most decent one in sculpt, but it needs an entirely new paintjob both in body and tusk.

A newer paint job would probably do the MBA figure a lot of good. I've personally never had a particularly high bar for the body paint job for the narwhal figures because of the variance between individuals. You are right though that the tusk should be much closer to brown rather than off-white.

JimoAi

For me, there is no perfect figures, due to scale and minor inaccuracies

Physeter macrocephalus

I think we don't need any other african elephant bull and calf the new schleich ones are very good the only thing that I don't like is the paint aplication in the mouth of the bull elephant or the retired vanishing wild one is better than schleich but it's retired.

Advicot

I've only realised the Schleich have had their African elephants released for 5 years, I wonder how long they'll be in production
Don't I take long uploading photos!

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on December 23, 2020, 09:42:07 AM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 22, 2020, 07:47:27 AM

did CollectA change the narwhal colors?

Gwangi

Having recently reviewed the Papo bull shark I feel like it is a good enough figure that we really don't need another bull shark. I couldn't find a single thing about it that bothered me, it's about as close to a perfect figure that I own. I feel the same way about the MBA blue shark. I don't have it in hand yet but I suspect I'll feel the same about the CollectA basking shark too.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Gwangi on April 01, 2021, 04:58:16 PM
Having recently reviewed the Papo bull shark I feel like it is a good enough figure that we really don't need another bull shark. I couldn't find a single thing about it that bothered me, it's about as close to a perfect figure that I own. I feel the same way about the MBA blue shark. I don't have it in hand yet but I suspect I'll feel the same about the CollectA basking shark too.

Just got the CollectA Basking Shark yesterday, it's great.