News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best orca figure 20cm and above

Started by JimoAi, December 16, 2020, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Best orca figure that is 20cm and above?
Looking for a sizable orca figure recommendation for my collection. Criteria: must at least get anatomy right

callmejoe3

2008 Papo figure.

Strictly speaking, it's more so about 19.3 cm, but at the same time, I don't think there are too many quality orca figures beyond 20cm anyway. The only drawback is the lack of a saddle patch and the seams at the jaw are pretty obvious.

The 2012 Mojo figure is of similar length, but the Papo figure is more accurate.

The current Schleich orca should be around the same length, and is a nice example for a female.

sirenia

AAA version is quite large, tough may want to check accuracy yourself, as it is quite old now.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 16, 2020, 10:17:31 PM
2008 Papo figure.

Strictly speaking, it's more so about 19.3 cm, but at the same time, I don't think there are too many quality orca figures beyond 20cm anyway. The only drawback is the lack of a saddle patch and the seams at the jaw are pretty obvious.

The 2012 Mojo figure is of similar length, but the Papo figure is more accurate.

The current Schleich orca should be around the same length, and is a nice example for a female.
The schleich one may be a very good candidate though

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 16, 2020, 10:17:31 PM
2008 Papo figure.

By 30cm I mean it has to be 2cm and above when measured with a curved rule and accounting  for the curve in the figure. By the way, how big are female orcas?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on December 17, 2020, 12:15:51 PM

By 30cm I mean it has to be 2cm and above when measured with a curved rule and accounting  for the curve in the figure. By the way, how big are female orcas?

The measurements I gave before are accounting for curves. So far it seems they're just below what you're looking for. I don't own the schleich one, but I read it's about 7.68 inches, so it's also about 19.5 cm.

Killer whales exhibit notable sexual dimorphism compared to other dolphins. Across the different ecotypes, physically mature females typically range from 15-25 feet and 1.5-3-tons. Males are, on average 17 percent longer and 40 heavier, ranging from 18-30 ft and 4-6.6 tons across all ecotypes. Bigg's/Transients and Type A killer whales are the ones that normally reach the upper ends of those extremes. The largest male was 9.8 meters and 10 tons.

callmejoe3

@JimoAi

One thing I should clarify is that my measurements of these figures are employing the scientific standard of measuring towards the notch within the whale's flukes rather than towards the tips of the flukes.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 17, 2020, 01:31:40 PM
@JimoAi

One thing I should clarify is that my measurements of these figures are employing the scientific standard of measuring towards the notch within the whale's flukes rather than towards the tips of the flukes.
That's what I do as well

JimoAi

Quote from: JimoAi on December 17, 2020, 01:33:27 PM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 17, 2020, 01:31:40 PM
@JimoAi

That's what I do as well. Do you measure from the side or the top?

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 17, 2020, 01:29:03 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on December 17, 2020, 12:15:51 PM

The measurements I gave before are accounting for curves. So far it seems they're just below what you're looking for. I don't own the schleich one, but I read it's about 7.68 inches, so it's also about 19.5 cm.

Killer whales exhibit notable sexual dimorphism compared to other dolphins. Across the different ecotypes, physically mature females typically range from 15-25 feet and 1.5-3-tons. Males are, on average 17 percent longer and 40 heavier, ranging from 18-30 ft and 4-6.6 tons across all ecotypes. Bigg's/Transients and Type A killer whales are the ones that normally reach the upper ends of those extremes. The largest male was 9.8 meters and 10 tons.
Regarding the Papo orca, I'm planning to use mine as a 20ft male so which ecotype is best for it to be like in the upper end size for the particular ecotype? And also, do you plan to acquire the schleich 2018 orca?

callmejoe3

@JimoAi

As for which side I measure from. It depends on how the whale is posed. If the whale is straight or in an ''S'' shaped pose. Either side will measure the same. If it's curved one way, I measure whichever side forms the inside of the curve, where it measures shorter. For example, with the way my Kaiyodo Blue whale is posed, it measures 780mm when measuring along the bottom and about 810mm when measuring from the top. I went with 780.

If you want a 20 ft male as a representative of you're upper end of the body length, I would say the Offshore ecotype would be your safest bet.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 17, 2020, 03:41:28 PM
@JimoAi

As for which side I measure from. It depends on how the whale is posed. If the whale is straight or in an ''S'' shaped pose. Either side will measure the same. If it's curved one way, I measure whichever side forms the inside of the curve, where it measures shorter. For example, with the way my Kaiyodo Blue whale is posed, it measures 780mm when measuring along the bottom and about 810mm when measuring from the top. I went with 780.

If you want a 20 ft male as a representative of you're upper end of the body length, I would say the Offshore ecotype would be your safest bet.
I'll purchase the Papo orca later. Thanks so much for your useful tips

callmejoe3

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 18, 2020, 08:21:59 AM
@JimoAi

You're welcome.
IMO I prefer the 2018 schleich. The Papo is slightly smaller in length but heavier. Got the Papo and I'm waiting for the schleich. How big do Offshore males get?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on December 18, 2020, 10:08:00 AM
IMO I prefer the 2018 Schleich. The Papo is slightly smaller in length but heavier. Got the Papo and I'm waiting for the schleich. How big do Offshore males get?

Offshore orcas are the smallest in the Eastern North Pacific. Offshore Males average at around 21.3 feet with a maximum of about 22 feet. By comparison, Resident males average at about 22.6 feet with a maximum of 23.6 feet, Bigg's males average at 23.9 feet with a maximum of 27.3 feet.

The herring and mackerel-feeding whales in the Northeast Atlantic are also a decent contender for the Papo orca. They're basically the same size as the Offshore killer whales at about 20.6 feet on average and 21.6 feet on average.

JimoAi

Which types of orcas are found around Japan?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on December 18, 2020, 11:54:29 AM

Pretty much all three of the ecotypes found in the Eastern North Pacific.

Offshores should definitely be there. In addition, offshoot populations of resident and Bigg's orcas also exist in the Russian Far East. The residents are known as Type R and the Bigg's/Transients are called Type T. Type R orcas are known to hang around the Kuril Islands and Type T's have been spotted in the Sea of Okhotsk.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 18, 2020, 12:41:32 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on December 18, 2020, 11:54:29 AM

Pretty much all three of the ecotypes found in the Eastern North Pacific.

Offshores should definitely be there. In addition, offshoot populations of resident and Bigg's orcas also exist in the Russian Far East. The residents are known as Type R and the Bigg's/Transients are called Type T. Type R orcas are known to hang around the Kuril Islands and Type T's have been spotted in the Sea of Okhotsk.
Hi, are you able to provide me with a picture of the Papo orca and the monterey bay orca side by side form the top view?

callmejoe3

Arctinus

I currently have the Schleich orca (which seems to be based on a female orca), but am still waiting for a better version because this one lacks a saddle patch.

The only two other good versions I can think of are the Papo one, but I'm really bothered by the lower jaw seam. It's not so visible on promo photos, but I've seen photos from other users and it's blindingly obvious. And it lacks a saddle patch. The other one is the new Safari Ltd. orca, but it's way too small and it doesn't seem to have a blow hole.

I mean, is it really that difficult to make a great orca figure in 2020 that would have accurate proportions and a realistic saddle patch?  ??? ::)
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France