News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal figures based on characters in mainstream media

Started by JimoAi, December 13, 2020, 07:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Going to start a thread based on animals seen in cartoons, video games, anime and movies (eg. Jurassic park, Animal Crossing, Spongebob Squarepants, The Lion King, etc), might be helpful for children or collectors wanting to collect the real life versions of their favourite fictional characters. Feel free to contribute

We will start with the 1993 Nickelodeon Series, Rocko's modern life

Main character Rocko Rama is a wallaby whom immigrated from Australia to America. Though never specified, so I'm going with safari ltd's 2016 figure. Other wallabies like colorata and Science and nature may work too IMG_20201214_025701.jpg

Next up is Rocko's dimwitted but loyal pet dog, Spunky (yes, that's his name). He is confirmed to be a miniature bull terrier. As he has a unique pattering, there is no way a toy company would replicate such patterning, besides, I doubt any bull terriers have Spunky's pattering. I'll go with the most readily available of all: Papo, though other companies may have made their own.   IMG_20201214_030424.jpg

Isidro

Really interesting thread! I wonder how nobody posted a reply yet. I like cartoons and of course I like animal cartoons more than others.
Here are some that come to my mind:

Let's start with a rather obscure movie but very underrated and one that I liked extremely much: the Guardians of Ga'Hoole. My favourite character is an echidna wizard with no name (called just The Echidna):

That fits perfectly with the Southland Replicas echidna:

Two things the next character have in common with the previous, is being formicivore and having no name, being called just Aardvark as nickname. The famous Aardvark from Pink Panther:

With Safari LTD aardvark:

This panther is not pink, but everybody knows Bagheera, the black panther from the most famous version of the several animated versions of the Jungle Book, the old Disney one:

Schleich black panther:

How to forget Woody Woodpecker, a very classic character that, I believe, was in part created for helping people taking knowledge of the wild animal is modelled after, and help in saving it from extinction. Well, it didn't worked...

..as the Ivory-billed woodpecker is now gone from Earth. CollectA did a good job in memory of it:

Manfred, the grumpy mammoth that is the main character from Ice Age movie and sequels:

Bullyland woolly mamooth:

Destiny, the whale shark from Finding Dory movie. Unbelievably, this tropical shark shares same water than the antarctic beluga Bailey, her best friend.

Papo whale shark:

Rafael, the toco toucan that helps the blue macaws to adapt to the jungle in Rio movie. Strangely enough, he finally marry with a keel-billed toucan!!!

With Schleich toco toucan:

And finally, as we're in Christmas time, we cannot forget Sven, the intelligent reindeer owned by the cute Christoff in the modern and very famous movie Frozen:

With Papo caribou:

JimoAi

Next up, is Rocko's next door neighbour, Mr and Mrs Bighead. Mr Bighead has a deep hatred for Rocko and his friends while Ms Bighead enjoys their company and are more welcoming of them. They are based of Cane toads as the creator stated that there was a Cane toad problem in Australia at the time Rocko's modern life was made. The safari ltd venomous creatures toob Cane toad is the best candidate to represent their species as it is accurate and readily available IMG_20201215_122646.jpg

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on December 14, 2020, 06:41:06 PM
Really interesting thread! I wonder how nobody posted a reply yet. I like cartoons and of course I like animal cartoons more than others.
Here are some that come to my mind:

Let's start with a rather obscure movie but very underrated and one that I liked extremely much: the Guardians of Ga'Hoole. My favourite character is an echidna wizard with no name (called just The Echidna):

That fits perfectly with the Southland Replicas echidna:

Two things the next character have in common with the previous, is being formicivore and having no name, being called just Aardvark as nickname. The famous Aardvark from Pink Panther:

With Safari LTD aardvark:

This panther is not pink, but everybody knows Bagheera, the black panther from the most famous version of the several animated versions of the Jungle Book, the old Disney one:

Schleich black panther:

How to forget Woody Woodpecker, a very classic character that, I believe, was in part created for helping people taking knowledge of the wild animal is modelled after, and help in saving it from extinction. Well, it didn't worked...

..as the Ivory-billed woodpecker is now gone from Earth. CollectA did a good job in memory of it:

Manfred, the grumpy mammoth that is the main character from Ice Age movie and sequels:

Bullyland woolly mamooth:

Destiny, the whale shark from Finding Dory movie. Unbelievably, this tropical shark shares same water than the antarctic beluga Bailey, her best friend.

Papo whale shark:

Rafael, the toco toucan that helps the blue macaws to adapt to the jungle in Rio movie. Strangely enough, he finally marry with a keel-billed toucan!!!

With Schleich toco toucan:

And finally, as we're in Christmas time, we cannot forget Sven, the intelligent reindeer owned by the cute Christoff in the modern and very famous movie Frozen:

With Papo caribou:

Any suggestions for steers?

Gwangi

What makes Woody Woodpecker an ivory-billed woodpecker and not the far more familiar pileated woodpecker?

Isidro

I had to search the meaning of "steers". So you're talking about a young cattle bull, right? Well, then I'm not into domestics very much, but it come to my mind Ferdinand the Bull in his early age:
(there is also a more classic movie of it)

Ferdinand is a Spanish Fighting Bull, but all figures made of this breed are adults, so we can have instead the Schleich Black Angus calf as an ideal representative of this character:

Isidro

I never heard that Woody was designed after a pileated woodpeker.

JimoAi

Looking for a steer to base off Heffer from Rocko's modern life. Haven't add him, Filburt or doctor Hutchinson as they look like generic animals.Heffer_Wolfe.png
Quote from: Isidro on December 15, 2020, 04:13:19 PM
I had to search the meaning of "steers". So you're talking about a young cattle bull, right? Well, then I'm not into domestics very much, but it come to my mind Ferdinand the Bull in his early age:
(there is also a more classic movie of it)

Ferdinand is a Spanish Fighting Bull, but all figures made of this breed are adults, so we can have instead the Schleich Black Angus calf as an ideal representative of this character:

JimoAi

Squidward tentacles is the grouchy and to us, relatable neighbour to main character Spongebob Squarepants and his best friend, Patrick Star (PS: Squidward is my favourite spongebob character). As revealed in the episode 'Feral Friends', he is a giant pacific octopus. The best figure I can think off is the safari ltd incredible creatures Giant pacific octopus. Do note that there are 2 versions of this figure: one with 1 siphon and another with 2. The 1997 sculpt is very likely a giant pacific octopus too and the 2016 repaint has something like Squidward's colour scheme
IMG_20201216_002425.jpg

JimoAi

Just found out that there is a tylosaurus in spongebob but it only appeared in 1 episode. So for it, I'll recommend the safari ltd tylosaurus IMG_20201216_004003.jpg

Gwangi

Quote from: Isidro on December 15, 2020, 04:14:11 PM
I never heard that Woody was designed after a pileated woodpeker.

I've never heard that he was designed after an ivory billed. But Wikipedia offers this...

The inspiration for the character came during the producer's honeymoon with his wife, Grace, in June Lake, California in 1941.[7] A noisy acorn woodpecker[8] outside their cabin kept the couple awake at night, and when a heavy rain started, they learned that the bird had bored holes in their cabin's roof. As both Walter and Gracie told Dallas attorney Rod Phelps during a visit, Walter wanted to shoot the bird, but Gracie suggested that her husband make a cartoon about the bird, and thus Woody was born.[9] Woody shares many characteristics in common with the pileated woodpecker in terms of both physical appearance as well as his characteristic laugh, which resembles the call of the pileated woodpecker. These similarities are apparently the result of the artistic license of the creators, and have caused much confusion within the birding community among those who have attempted to classify Woody's species.

callmejoe3

Spongebob's Pearl Krabs and the Sperm Whale

She is canonically the biological daughter of Eugene Krabs, but her mother is confirmed to be another sperm whale just like Pearl. Outside of this detail, Pearl's mother remains a mystery, which was an intentional gag by Stephen Hillenburg, as Pearl's name is based on the phrase ''Mother of Pearl!''. Despite technically being half-crab, Pearl is rationalized to simply ''take more from her mother's side.''.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 15, 2020, 10:02:54 PM
Spongebob's Pearl Krabs and the Sperm Whale

She is canonically the biological daughter of Eugene Krabs, but her mother is confirmed to be another sperm whale just like Pearl. Outside of this detail, Pearl's mother remains a mystery, which was an intentional gag by Stephen Hillenburg, as Pearl's name is based on the phrase ''Mother of Pearl!''. Despite technically being half-crab, Pearl is rationalized to simply ''take more from her mother's side.''.
As one of the golden rule is to never have Pearl's mother be revealled

JimoAi

From the animal crossing series, the infamous Tom Nook, who is actually a good guy and twins Timmy and Tommy. They are Tanukis or Raccoon Dogs and the best and probably cheapest figure for them is the Eikoh Miniatureplanet Tanukis
IMG_20201216_135502.jpg

JimoAi

IMG_20201216_204611.jpg
Crush and squirt are easy going green sea turtles from Finding nemo and it's sequel, Finding dory. The colorata sea turtles Green sea turtle is the best in my opinion as it also come with a hatchling. Other good alternatives are the safari ltd 2017 and Takara tomy Ania which also comes with a hatching

JimoAi

IMG_20201216_225947.jpg
Filburt Shellbach is a hard one. He shares traits of a generic turtle and is shown to live in America, so there are many possible candidates for him like the red eared slider. However, a dead giveaway was that it stated he was born in the Galapagos islands. This narrows choices down to the Galapagos tortoises and the green sea turtle and since he doesn't have any marine turtle traits, I'm going for Galapagos tortoises. The new 2020 Schleich Galapagos tortoises is a good choice

Isidro

Flash, from the amazing movie Zootopia. He's one of my most favourite characters of the movie.

CollectA's brown-throated sloth:

Melman, the male giraffe from Madagascar movie that is in love with the hippo Gloria

CollectA reticulated giraffe male:

Rafiki, one of the main characters of the Lion King:

Papo mandrill:

Dory, the blue tang characterized by a constant loss of memory in Finding Nemo and the sequel Finding Dory:

Papo surgeonfish:

Dragon, the lizard from the Secret Life of Pets that forms part of the animal villain group leaded by the human-hater white rabbit:

CollectA's bearded dragon:

Francis, the ladybug from A Bug's Life, that as we can see in this image have a very strong character and don't admit offences about his sexuality, but it's a good guy and very kind with the children.

CollectA's seven-spot ladybird:

A lesser known but great movie that I liked a lot is Khumba, about a stripeless zebra that is margined by his herd. A secondary character of this movie is and old lady gemsbok and her robust male gemsbok helpers.

Scheich gemsbok:

Master Splinter, the old wise rat that cared the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles since they were newborn, and still guide them once grown:

Bullyland rat:

Perry the Platypus, the mascot of Phineas and Pherb, that have a secret life as detective:

Papo platypus:

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on December 16, 2020, 07:28:35 PM
Flash, from the amazing movie Zootopia. He's one of my most favourite characters of the movie.

CollectA's brown-throated sloth:

Melman, the male giraffe from Madagascar movie that is in love with the hippo Gloria

CollectA reticulated giraffe male:

Rafiki, one of the main characters of the Lion King:

Papo mandrill:

Dory, the blue tang characterized by a constant loss of memory in Finding Nemo and the sequel Finding Dory:

Papo surgeonfish:

Dragon, the lizard from the Secret Life of Pets that forms part of the animal villain group leaded by the human-hater white rabbit:

CollectA's bearded dragon:

Francis, the ladybug from A Bug's Life, that as we can see in this image have a very strong character and don't admit offences about his sexuality, but it's a good guy and very kind with the children.

CollectA's seven-spot ladybird:

A lesser known but great movie that I liked a lot is Khumba, about a stripeless zebra that is margined by his herd. A secondary character of this movie is and old lady gemsbok and her robust male gemsbok helpers.

Scheich gemsbok:

Master Splinter, the old wise rat that cared the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles since they were newborn, and still guide them once grown:

Bullyland rat:

Perry the Platypus, the mascot of Phineas and Pherb, that have a secret life as detective:

Papo platypus:

Thanks so much for the contribution though I would prefer the Yujin blue tang over the Papo one

JimoAi

Gladys Hippo is the most reccuring background character in Rocko's modern life. She's famous for shouting "How dare you!" when Rocko unintentionally bumps into her, often in questionable ways. The collectA 2018 Hippo fits her well but be careful.  IMG_20201219_005410.jpg

Isidro

Rufus is probably the only cartoon naked mole rat in mainstream media. He's the mascot of Ronn Unstoppable in Kim Possible.

Kaiyodo naked mole rat with movable jaw:

Bernard, the unlucky and selfish polar bear that is always annoyed by a penguin and an unfair lizard.

Papo polar bear is in my opinion the best available polar bear easily available (and the one I have in my collection):