News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal figures you consider your ''White Whale?''

Started by callmejoe3, November 24, 2020, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advicot

My white whales would probably be any of the PV primates  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Isidro

Are they difficult to get, Adam? I ask because I would like the PV slow loris...

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on January 04, 2021, 06:15:22 PM
Are they difficult to get, Adam? I ask because I would like the PV slow loris...

Did PV make a slow loris?

The PV Lemur (=prosimian) collection, and the figures contained therein, is among the rarest animal figures ever! I just won a lot on eBay that includes the potto (!!!!) and at least one lemur.  But generally they are very hard to find.

Loon

I suppose this is a super basic answer, but I'm still restively new to collecting modern animals, so, my "white whale" would be Kaiyodo's Mega Sofubi Advance Blue Whale. Though, I technically have procured one thanks to @brettnj; I just don't have it yet.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2021, 06:20:13 AM
I suppose this is a super basic answer, but I'm still restively new to collecting modern animals, so, my "white whale" would be Kaiyodo's Mega Sofubi Advance Blue Whale. Though, I technically have procured one thanks to @brettnj; I just don't have it yet.

Congrats.

Loon

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:16:42 AM
Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2021, 06:20:13 AM

Congrats.

Thanks, I'm super excited.

Advicot

I don't think a slow loris was released by PV but Isidro, you may be getting confused with the Eikoh one?
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Isidro

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 04, 2021, 06:19:15 PM
Quote from: Isidro on January 04, 2021, 06:15:22 PM

Did PV make a slow loris?

The PV Lemur (=prosimian) collection, and the figures contained therein, is among the rarest animal figures ever! I just won a lot on eBay that includes the potto (!!!!) and at least one lemur.  But generally they are very hard to find.

Sorry! I mistook with the Eikoh one!!! :(

Sable Antelope

The wire haired pointer from Schelich. I was delighted to find one years ago at a favorite toy shop but didn't have the money at the time due to a massive tuition payment. I vowed to return to buy it along with a Great Dane and Doberman. I was upset to find them all sold when I returned, after presumably sitting unsold in the cabinet for years if not decades! I later found one for sale on eBay only for it to be sold before I could place an offer (I literally went to shower and when logged back in saw it sold!) After a massive internet source I found one but the seller didn't ship to my country! I consider it my "white whale" as just when I think I got a hold of one it gets away and it's driving me mad like a Captain Ahab😆!

Asides from the pointer and the other two dogs I mentioned I am on the look out for the Bullyland malamute, the Safari Incredible Creatures green tree monitor and any of the Colorata figures especially the thylacine, flying lemur, aye aye, orangutan and platypus. However I think all focus on one "white whale" for now! I used to consider the Papo ocelot a grail too but I wasn't impressed with the paint job on walk arounds and found a figure made by a private artist I like far better. Also Colorata has one.

callmejoe3

What luck! The Kaiyodo Sperm whale model kit is actually on eBay, but it's selling for over $1000! Glad I went with the nautical sculpture.

sirenia

Mine is most the Noah's Pals figures. Started, on a slippery slope, and they are hard to find.

NSD Bashe

Well for a time my "white whale" figures were the toy major flashlight fish and pinecone fish and the Bio Beams anglerfish, but now I have obtained those.  There are still some figures I am on the lookout for, such as the remaining Discovery Channel/Bio Beams deep sea fish (I think I have all but the 4 keychain figures), several of the K&M jellyfish, the Play Visions sea slug set and a few other odd figures, mostly obscure ones that aren't talked about much.

Shane

Some Safari Ltd white whales of mine:
- Vanishing Wild Adult Gemsbok (this is always at the top of my list, any time they show up on eBay I miss them)
- Wild Safari Sea Life Crocodile Shark
- Tennessee Aquarium Mud Puppy
- Incredible Creatures Rhinoceros Viper

EpicRaptorMan

All of my white whales I managed to find or find alternatives for. Took sometime.

Currently ISO:
Safari Ltd Opossum
Papo Dodo
Colorata Spiderfish

@Shane I found a Crocodile shark semi recently on Mercari. Glad I stumbled across it as I turned down my first chance at it (bmathison1972 got it instead lol)

Shane

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on April 06, 2023, 06:32:16 AM@Shane I found a Crocodile shark semi recently on Mercari. Glad I stumbled across it as I turned down my first chance at it (bmathison1972 got it instead lol)

I have a saved Mercari search for "Safari Ltd Retired" but it hasn't produced much in the way of quality results. But also, I don't check it nearly as much as I should.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on April 06, 2023, 06:59:53 PM
Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on April 06, 2023, 06:32:16 AM@Shane I found a Crocodile shark semi recently on Mercari. Glad I stumbled across it as I turned down my first chance at it (bmathison1972 got it instead lol)

I have a saved Mercari search for "Safari Ltd Retired" but it hasn't produced much in the way of quality results. But also, I don't check it nearly as much as I should.

I got mine in an eBay lot

GojiraGuy1954

Safari Nasutoceratops, Einiosaurus & Pachyrhinosaurus

bmathison1972

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 06, 2023, 07:48:28 PMSafari Nasutoceratops, Einiosaurus & Pachyrhinosaurus

wow are those hard to find already? I think I bought mine from Happy Hen in 2019-2020

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 06, 2023, 07:08:38 PMI got mine in an eBay lot

I think I actually just found one in an eBay lot!

It was $20 for the lot, which also included an original Safari Mako Shark and Leopard Shark. Which aren't grails for me, but I don't have them so it made it worth it.

Tough to gauge condition from the pics, but hopefully once it arrives I'll be able to cross this one off the list.

EpicRaptorMan

@bmathison1972 yeah the same eBay lot that you saw with the Crocodile shark was the one I was looking at. And I heavily considered buying it, but waited, came back a few hours later and you got it  O:-)

Mercari came through for me months later.