News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I am starting a new (roughly) daily thread as part of a project to photodocument my collection of individual figures, and posting them secures a safe place for them online. Using a random number generator, I will select a new figure (not species). Each post will feature one figure, unless pairs (or more) were sold together within a set. Each post will have detailed information about the figure and the animal itself. Overtime, this thread will replace Bug of the Day and Synoptic Animal Collection.

How I calculate scale. Scale is calculated using a variety of features, often dependent on the pose the animal is in: body length, shoulder height, wingspan, etc. Sometimes figures are measured down the spine/midline using string (dental floss actually lol). Sometimes I may use features such as the length of a bird's beak or a dinosaur femur. Scales should be considered estimates. If anyone thinks a scale is off or I didn't do the math right, please speak up!

Frequency of a species in toy/figure form. This is based on my knowledge at the time of posting, whether by what I have seen posted on the forums and blogs, what I have seen for sale online or in shops, what is on the toyanimalinfo (TAI) website, etc. I am not privy to every toy animal made, so the frequency for some species might be higher than I am aware. Let me know if I missed something! I should point out, the focus here is traditional models, toys, and figures. I do not consider plush toys, gimmicky toys, anthropomorphized characters from fictional genres, game pieces, porcelain figurines, and things considered more of as 'art' (ceramics, wooden sculpture, metal, etc.)

How I choose which figure is next. As mentioned earlier, I use a random number generator at random.org. I have a separate Excel file that has all my figures listed alphabetically by genus and species, regardless of higher taxon (e.g., bird, mammal, butterfly). The random number generator result is matched with the line in the Excel file. Once a figure is reviewed, it is deleted from the file, so it will not come up again (this also means that, until new figures are acquired, the database gets shorter which each post!).

Please comment all you want, but please do not post images on this thread; I want all images to be my own. Thanks.

To get us started:

Species: Platycerus acuticollis Kurosawa, 1969

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Japanese Stag Beetles
Year of Release: 2013
Size/Scale: body length 4.0 cm; scale 4:1 (total length of figure including appendages, 5.4 cm)
Frequency in toy/figure form (at the time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Two figures of the same sculpt released in the same set: one blue, one green. Minimal assembly required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan
Habitat: Forests
Diet: Rotting wood (as larvae)
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Several subspecies exist, possibly representing a species complex

AnimalToyForum

Lovely idea, your own virtual museum. Why don't you use the ATB to host your images, you have greater control there than Postcc. No risk of what happened with photobucket.

Lanthanotus

Great idea,... am keen to see your collection building up here (and getting all the relevant information on the figures.- though I guess a lot are pricey Japanese specialities :D).

Advicot

I love this idea! I am so excited to see this progress
Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Species: Hystrix indica Kerr, 1792 (Indian crested porcupine)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Wildlife
Year of Release: 2019
Size/Scale: 6.0 cm long; 5.5 cm tall. Scale approximately 1:20-1:26
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique or rare
Miscellaneous Notes: When this figure was first released, several people noted, and rightfully so, the colors are more reminscent of the Cape porcupine (H. africaeaustralis), although CollectA made it clear it was the Indian species. Porcupines are inherently difficult to capture in toy form. Several figures of Hystrix exist; depending on what species one chooses to assign would determine whether or not this is a unique figure.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and southwestern Asia, and most of the Indian subcontinent, barely ranging into China.
Habitat: Primarily rocky hillsides, shrublands, and grasslands, but also forests and disturbed areas.
Diet: Mainly plants, but also insects and small vertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Broad tolerance for habitats and a varied diet makes H. indica a successful species that is common throughout most of its range, even acheiving pest status in some areas inhabited by people.

Nimravus

Hey Blaine,
Many thanks for sharing all that valuable information!!! I am looking forward to your following post!  ;D

bmathison1972

Species: Graptopsaltria nigrofuscata (Motschulsky, 1866) (large brown cicada)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Choco Q Animatales Series 10
Year of Release: 2005
Size/Scale: body length 3.7 cm, in the 1:1 scale range
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: While not commonly made, this is the most common species of cicada made by the Japanese companies. There were two figures of this sculpt released as variants in the same set; the one with the darker eyes is slightly more mature. These figures were recently featured in a Blogpost here. Being gashapon figures, there is some assembly required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Much of East Asia, including China, the Korean Peninsula, and Japan
Habitat: Varied, but requires trees and soil conditions to support nymphal development
Diet: Juices from subterranean tree roots
Miscellaneous Notes: Cicadas are known for their long subterranean development; Graptopsaltria nigrofuscata remains underground for six years before molting into an adult.

Loon

I'm loving this thread so far! Can't wait to see what's next.

bmathison1972

thanks everyone!

Species: Dicronorhina micans (Drury, 1773)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: 4D Master
Series: Bug & Creature World
Year of Release: unknown
Size/Scale: body length 6.0 cm, putting in the 1:1 scale range for a large specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique to very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Being a puzzle figure, substantial assembly required (this figure comes in 19 pieces)

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Zaire
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae live in soil and feed on decaying vegetation and other organic matter; adults are attracted to nectar, overripe fruit, and sap flows.
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is easy to rear and is popular with people in the beetle cultivation trade.

Halichoeres

This is a great conceit. I'm curious what the probability is that a given update will feature a non-arthropod!

Quote from: animaltoyforum on October 12, 2020, 09:45:56 AM
Lovely idea, your own virtual museum. Why don't you use the ATB to host your images, you have greater control there than Postcc. No risk of what happened with photobucket.

This...is a Blaine-specific privilege, yes? I've been shelling out for Flickr Pro because I don't want another Photobucket incident.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2020, 12:05:26 AM
This is a great conceit. I'm curious what the probability is that a given update will feature a non-arthropod!

Quote from: animaltoyforum on October 12, 2020, 09:45:56 AM

This...is a Blaine-specific privilege, yes? I've been shelling out for Flickr Pro because I don't want another Photobucket incident.

@Halichoeres - well, at least half my collection are arthropods :)

With regards to using the Blog to host images, I am sure you can do it through the DTB since you have direct access to that blog! @animaltoyforum would have to set up the plug, if you can't do it.

For what it's worth Postimages is great and I have never had issues with them. I'll use Postcc for most things, but will use the Blog for this thread only.

Lanthanotus

Artificial arthropods are certainly an unusual collection item if one does consider the western market for toy figures. On the other hand, they make the vast majority of species on our lovely planet (and the main part of bio mass next to plants in most habitats) so I guees it is only fair they get a big share here in this quite unusual collection thread.  :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 15, 2020, 08:13:35 AM
Artificial arthropods are certainly an unusual collection item if one does consider the western market for toy figures. On the other hand, they make the vast majority of species on our lovely planet (and the main part of bio mass next to plants in most habitats) so I guees it is only fair they get a big share here in this quite unusual collection thread.  :)

That's what's funny, Japanese companies (which produce most of the arthropods) do not consider the western market. They cater to the Japanese market, and Japanese culture loves insects still. Much more so that the West (well, certainly more than America; Europeans still have a deep love of Natural History, from what I remember when I went to school there).

bmathison1972

Species: Lepisosteus osseus (Linnaeus, 1758) (longnose gar)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Replica Toy Fish Company
Series: 3 Inch Collection
Year of Release: Unknown (c. 2015)
Size/Scale: Figure 9.7 cm long, scale 1:7-1:18.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Replica Toy Fish made at least two versions of this species; this one, and a larger six-inch model

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Eastern and Central North America into Mexico   
Habitat: Sluggish pools, backwaters and oxbows of medium to large rivers, and lakes; sometimes brackish water in coastal areas
Diet: Small fish, insects, and crustaceans
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: These large and primitive fish are popular game fish in North America

Halichoeres

Ah yes, holosteans, one of evolution's local optima.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

Lanthanotus

Maybe at one point you could add a photo of the backdrops/diorama bases you use. The plants look like common artificial ones from decoration or aquarium stores...but is this water surface/river bank selfmade?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 16, 2020, 07:06:48 PM
Maybe at one point you could add a photo of the backdrops/diorama bases you use. The plants look like common artificial ones from decoration or aquarium stores...but is this water surface/river bank selfmade?

@Lanthanotus these are pre-made dioramas I bought a few years ago on YAJ. They appear to be painted foam supplemented with aquarium plants (the freshwater one does have a plastic barrier separating land and water). They are somewhat small and best for Japanese figures or otherwise small animals. They come with a plastic lid to cover the whole display as well.

The freshwater one can be seen better here (last pic): http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2019/09/04/life-cycle-of-a-mosquito-safariology-by-safari-ltd/

I also recently bought some Bakku Backgrounds and PLM Dioramansion backgrounds, as well as some aquatic backdrops from PetsMart for marine critters.

I may take pics of those at some point, thanks for asking.

bmathison1972

Species: Hexarthrius mandibularis Deyrolle, 1881

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King - Beetle Magnet
Year of Release: Unknown
Size/Scale: Body and mandible length 4.0 cm, making it 1:2.5-1:3 for a maximum male, depending on subspecies
Miscellaneous Notes: There are several series by Sega in the Mushi King line. This figure is from a set of small figures with a magnet on the ventral side. This species is somewhat of a standard among Japanese companies; it is one of nine in my collection so expect more in the future ;-).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indonesia
Diet: Larvae feed on rotting hardwoods; adults are attracted to tree sap.
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A
Miscellaneous Notes: There are two subspecies, H. m. mandibularis endemic to Kalimantan, Borneo, and H. m. sumatranus endemic to Sumatra.

bmathison1972

Programming note: I have updated the first post to describe in better detail the selection process and how I calculate scale. Enjoy!

Species: Phoebis philea (Linnaeus, 1763) (orange-barred sulfur)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Authentics Butterflies
Year of Release: 1997
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.5 cm, making it slightly under 1:1 in scale
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is not commonly made, and those on the market are nearly all by Safari Ltd., who has produced this species four times. The Authentics figures are a bit stylized, but popular with collectors.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southern United States, south to Brazil
Habitat: Forest edges, fields, gardens, roadsides
Diet: Larvae feed on legumes in the genus Cassia; adults feed on nectar
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated (NatureServe status: Secure)
Miscellaneous Notes: Orange-barred sulfurs take up water from damp soil (refered to as 'puddling'), often in large groups with other species of sulfur butterflies.

bmathison1972

Species: Prosopocoilus giraffa (Olivier, 1789) (giraffe stag beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Epoch
Series: Flying Beetles
Year of Release: 2005
Size/Scale: Body + mandible length 7.5 cm, for a scale of about 1:1.5 for a large specimen. Wingspan of the figure is 10.5 cm.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is another species that has become a standard among Japanese companies, and I have several examples of it. There is some assembly required for this figure. It attaches to a habitat-style base with a black plastic rod, from which it is removable.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Much of Southeast Asia, from southern India to Indonesia
Diet: Larvae feed on rotting hardwoods; adults are attracted to sap flows
Miscellaneous Notes: One of the largest species in a very speciose genus, P. giraffa is popular with collectors and breeders.