News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animals that are underrepresented relative to their non-toy popularity?

Started by callmejoe3, September 23, 2020, 10:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

Are there animals that you believe are grossly under-represented in the general  toy-scene or atleast in certain size scale? Specifically, taxa that aren't even that obscure, yet seem to lack toys compared to related animals of similar popularity

For me, as a cetacean collector, the few that come to mind for me are the majority of beaked whales, the false killer whale, and the fin whale. I would love any of these figures in roughly either the 1:70 or 1:40 scale for my collection. Beaked whales I somewhat understand since they aren't that popular unless you're a bit of a nerd, but I feel with the representation of pilot whales and rorquals that have been covered, we're due for some proper fin whale and false killer whales.

bmathison1972

Since I started my Synoptic Collection, it gives me an idea of things that surprisingly have not been made (in standard scale by non-Japanese companies), or not made for a long time.

Three North American examples that come to mind (especially since Safari Ltd has a North American line) are mule deer, grey fox, and coatimundi.

Among birds, hornbills have been largely ignored. The common pheasant was ignored for years although Papo is releasing one this year.

sirenia

Mudskippers I'd say. Very famous yet can't think of a single model of them.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sirenia on September 23, 2020, 11:57:11 PM

There are a handful by the Japanese companies (my blue-spotted mudskipper is by Yujin), but they are not necessarily easy to come by. Seems like a good candidate for a Safari 'Incredible Creature' figure!

dinocat62

callmejoe3

Quote from: sirenia on September 23, 2020, 11:57:11 PM

Man, you're right! I just scanned the Toy Animal info site out of disbelief. All I found on google were a few Kaiyodo ones.

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

been thinking more about birds. I don't think there has ever been a standard-sized rhea, or a lyre bird outside of the Yowies.  Male frigate birds with the gular pouch showing are rare, as are brown pelicans (I just scored Safari's retired brown pelican on eBay).

suspsy

The southern elephant seal. It's not just the biggest seal; it's the biggest member of Carnivora. It weighs more than 8,000 lbs; that's the equivalent of two walruses or six polar bears. It could literally kill a polar bear simply by sitting on it. And yet the only two elephant seal toys I know of are the ones from Papo and Mojo Fun, and they're both the 40% smaller northern species.

bmathison1972

callmejoe3

Quote from: suspsy on September 24, 2020, 02:38:43 AM
The southern elephant seal. It's not just the biggest seal; it's the biggest member of Carnivora. It weighs more than 8,000 lbs; that's the equivalent of two walruses or six polar bears. It could literally kill a polar bear simply by sitting on it. And yet the only two elephant seal toys I know of are the ones from Papo and Mojo Fun, and they're both the 40% smaller northern species.

That surprises me because usually companies like to prioritize megafauna, especially with marine mammals.

Isidro

I agree with all the messages except for the first one (those cetaceans are all very unknown by the general public, but still widely represented in toy form (except for the false killer whale), so is the contrary to the topic subject) and the elephant seal (because I pretend that all figurines made by any brand are the Southern one - and there are certainly more than these two).

Spectacled bear, hornbills and coati are, of all the examples given, the ones that I think that fits better with this thread.

There are many more, from golden pheasant to common toad passing by many common garden birds such as great tit.

If we must include the "at certain size scale", then basically all animals that are not giants are underrepresented, as all medium-sized and small animals are always at a bigger scale.

Gwangi

Birds, but more specifically common songbirds. We see them everyday, many people feed them, bird watching is extremely popular. And yet we have very few toys that represent any of them and those that do are always the more colorful males.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isidro on September 24, 2020, 07:30:04 AM
I agree with all the messages except for the first one (those cetaceans are all very unknown by the general public, but still widely represented in toy form (except for the false killer whale), so is the contrary to the topic subject) and the elephant seal (because I pretend that all figurines made by any brand are the Southern one - and there are certainly more than these two).

Spectacled bear, hornbills and coati are, of all the examples given, the ones that I think that fits better with this thread.

There are many more, from golden pheasant to common toad passing by many common garden birds such as great tit.

If we must include the "at certain size scale", then basically all animals that are not giants are underrepresented, as all medium-sized and small animals are always at a bigger scale.

I'm curious given how you've disagreed with my post, how many fin whales and beaked whales have you come across? Because I haven't had too much luck outside of the Blainville's beaked whale.

EDIT

Went back, so far mainly just Bullyland's fin whale, which is moreso in the 1:140 scale rather than 1:70. Given how even that one's retired, I'd argue the fin whale species could use alteast one more given that even the minke whale has several more quality figures by comparison and that species is arguably more obscure. There's also the Recur one that I was aware of, but I think I can get away with saying that one sort fails in capturing a good resemblance while also being a borderline plush. The fin whale's certainly not non-existent, but I would disagree in claiming it's ''widely represented''. As for beaked whales, mainly Kaiyodo's Baird's beaked whale.

BlueKrono

As a collector of ratites, I'd love to see more rheas. One that always comes to my mind is the matamata turtle. There's mini ones but no one's ever made a full size version.
I like turtles.

callmejoe3

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 25, 2020, 01:03:01 AM
As a collector of ratites, I'd love to see more rheas. One that always comes to my mind is the matamata turtle. There's mini ones but no one's ever made a full size version.

That'd be cool to see.

BlueKrono

Axolotls and tardigrades seem very popular in internet memes and even plushies, but no large versions to be found.
I like turtles.

callmejoe3

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 29, 2020, 01:11:23 AM
Axolotls and tardigrades seem very popular in internet memes and even plushies, but no large versions to be found.

The lack of tardigrades doesn't surprise me, but Axolotls most certainly do. Either way, both deserve their figures.

stargatedalek

Crowned cranes, lovebirds, and chicken breeds.

With how many brands do farm series (and put out new versions of their default chickens at least every 5-8 years) you'd think there would be more than the Papo Silkie, even Kaiyodo, the only ones I know of who've ever done any non-traditional breeds beyond that, did so as part of their pet series and some time ago.