News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Non-Cetacean Animal collection

Started by callmejoe3, September 07, 2020, 11:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

I went through an old box of stuff my brother and I collected and I've found quite a lot of stuff that I'm going to be posting here. I'm gonna start today with my non-cetacean marine life I've found.

Here's the Safari Ltd 2004 Giant Squid. I have no desire to get the Monterey Bay Aquarium version because it basically looks almost 1:1 with this one while also being too big to properly scale with even my Alpha collection of whales.

1999 Schleich Seal

1996 Safari ltd  Manatee

2004 Safari ltd Walrus

2007 safari ltd Shark Ray

Unindentfied Whale Shark. If anyone has a clue, thanks in advance.

bmathison1972

I picked the same giant squid for the same reason :)

sirenia

Nice little set there. More things for the blog maybe?

callmejoe3

Quote from: sirenia on September 08, 2020, 08:20:09 PM

Yep. Looking forward to potentially covering the squid.

sirenia

Quote from: callmejoe3 on September 08, 2020, 08:48:35 PM
Quote from: sirenia on September 08, 2020, 08:20:09 PM

Yep. Looking forward to potentially covering the squid.

Would appreciate that. Want to know what it's like.

callmejoe3

So here's an update showing off all my terrestrial animals. I'm not gonna go through the process of keeping track of each individual figure's brand and release date, so I'm just gonna show all of them. If you have any questions, ask me and I'll respond.

sirenia

Good terrestrial mix there! Got a lot that could be worth reviewing.

callmejoe3

Now for the Chondrichthyes of the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection!

The Sawfish, Manta Ray, Great White, Great Hammerhead, Tiger Shark, Blue shark, and 2 Whale Sharks ( I got these from separate lots. The top one has a slightly different paintjob and is a larger cast).

I believe all of these are at the 1:20 scale, except for the Whale Shark, which is at 1:40, and is to scale with the large whales and the killer whale.

With these, plus my whales, I'm currently only missing 4 members of the MBA line: The otter pair, the Giant Squid (easy to acquire), the thresher shark, and the Pacific White-sided dolphin.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on November 13, 2020, 03:18:29 AM

The Sawfish, Manta Ray, Great White, Great Hammerhead, Tiger Shark, Blue shark, and 2 Whale Sharks ( I got these from separate lots. The top one has a slightly different paintjob and is a larger cast).

I believe all of these are at the 1:20 scale, except for the Whale Shark, which is at 1:40, and is to scale with the large whales and the killer whale.

With these, plus my whales, I'm currently only missing 4 members of the MBA line: The otter pair, the Giant Squid (easy to acquire), the thresher shark, and the Pacific White-sided dolphin.
What do you think of the great white shark? Is it any great?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on November 13, 2020, 04:41:37 AM

It's pretty nice given its age, though I don't think the face and mouth have aged too well compared to say the Schleich 2018 or the Safari Ltd 2016 figures.

bmathison1972

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on November 13, 2020, 10:27:18 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on November 13, 2020, 04:41:37 AM

It's pretty nice given its age, though I don't think the face and mouth have aged too well compared to say the Schleich 2018 or the Safari Ltd 2016 figures.
Maybe she's been hit on the face by a frying pan?

callmejoe3

bmathison1972

callmejoe3

Some tomfoolery with the delivery delayed this but here we go

''I have no desire to get the Monterey Bay Aquarium version''- That aged well

The Monterey Bay Aquarium Giant Squid

I knew this squid was going to be huge, but WOAH I was surprised just how big this thing was! Definitely not to scale with anything, I assumed they did this because it made it easier to sculpt in the details for the suction cups and everything. When setting the squid to scale with the largest, scientifically verified specimens at 12 meters, the total length (450mm) places it roughly in the 1:27 scale, while the mantle length (240mm) places it in the 1:21 scale. You need something like a Kaiyodo Aqualand sperm whale or the PNSO model to properly scale with this! I was surprised to see that even though the beak was sculpted, it was not painted like on the Wild Safari Sea Life figure.

Safari Ltd's Megamouth shark. I've been expanding the shark portion of my collection and decided on the megamouth shark. This really is a very nice figure. With the exception of the upcoming CollectA basking shark, I intend to look toward Safari Ltd for future shark purchases after viewing @bmathison1972's synoptic collection.

bmathison1972

Thanks, callmejoe; you won't be disappointed with Safari's sharks :)

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 29, 2020, 01:13:35 PM
Thanks, callmejoe; you won't be disappointed with Safari's sharks :)

Mostly haha. If they're the right size then yes

callmejoe3

So I got a weird Christmas Eve surprise today, apparently, the eBay seller who sold me the Livyatan included a complimentary PNSO Ectenosaurus! I wasn't expecting this and I was very confused because I was concerned I was gonna get charged for some accidental order I made!

callmejoe3

I finally got it! The Monterey Bay Aquarium Thresher Shark!

I got it as part of this huge lot of vintage marine animal toys, mostly consisting of the Monterey Bay Aquarium figures and AAA. The person who owned this was quite the collector. Not only having a good chunk of the MBA figures, but they appear to be the original 90s casts. I plan on keeping some of them for the sake of comparing them to the newer casts that were already in my collection. I plan on keeping the humpback, sperm whale, dolphin, beluga, and orca. I'm planning on selling off the great white, tiger shark, great hammerhead, whale shark, sawfish, and manta ray because I already own the older casts to these.

This person even had a neat booklet with all the old info that was present on the tags of the earlier releases. I plan on adding this to the thread I made on the tags.

Now here are the AAA figures of this set.

And here's the miscellaneous group of figures I have yet to identify. Exceptions being the epaulette shark being K&M International and the red octopus being Toy Major.

bmathison1972

the epaulette shark shark is a nice species; I'm curious to see you review to see how big it is (I predict it's large and soft?)