News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO Sperm Whale Model

Started by callmejoe3, August 17, 2020, 04:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

Man this replica dissapoints me. Now I haven't seen actual real life photos of this figure like I have for the blue whale, but the eye size AND placement just ruins what would have been a 32-inch replica I would have gladly saved $500 for. It's a shame because they got it right for the blue whale, but it's so distractingly off for the sperm whale. Positioning of the eye about 2 inches higher than it should be basically umdermines how much work was placed in the rest of it. I hope one day, Kaiyodo does a sperm whale figure in the spirit of the 70 cm Blue Whale they have done, ideally about 45-50 cm.

What do you guys think?

AnimalToyForum

The eye does look rather high, I wonder how that came to be, since PNSO usually get such details spot on.

suspsy

It looks like some bizarre prehistoric cetacean.

Gwangi

I'm with ya, it's a real disappointment. I'm honestly shocked that it was even allowed to happen. You would think that someone, somewhere during production would have pointed that out. Maybe they did and were ignored, it will only hurt PNSO in the end. I don't see a lot of people wanting it despite it otherwise being a good model.

callmejoe3

Quote from: suspsy on August 17, 2020, 01:04:14 PM
It looks like some bizarre prehistoric cetacean.

For me it basically looks like a giant Pygmy Sperm Whale

callmejoe3

Quote from: animaltoyforum on August 17, 2020, 12:30:55 PM
The eye does look rather high, I wonder how that came to be, since PNSO usually get such details spot on.

As I implied in my other comment, it almost seems like someone designing this used the Pygmy Sperm whale as a reference for the eye placement and head proportions rather than the Physeter, which is still very confusing. Even aside from the placement, the eye's just oversized.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Gwangi on August 17, 2020, 02:09:31 PM
I'm with ya, it's a real disappointment. I'm honestly shocked that it was even allowed to happen. You would think that someone, somewhere during production would have pointed that out. Maybe they did and were ignored, it will only hurt PNSO in the end. I don't see a lot of people wanting it despite it otherwise being a good model.

If they had planned on charging $500 for a model of an animal whose reputation lies squarely (pun intended) on its head, it's probably a good idea to get the eye size and placement right. Especially when cheap figures and toys managed to do that just fine for decades.

sirenia

This doesn't look phenomenal, no. Their Basilosaurus is a lot better.

callmejoe3

Quote from: sirenia on August 17, 2020, 07:46:05 PM
This doesn't look phenomenal, no. Their Basilosaurus is a lot better.

Definitely on my to-get list once my wallet clears up from my latest investment

CetaceanFan

Quote from: callmejoe3 on August 17, 2020, 04:07:18 AM

Man this replica dissapoints me. Now I haven't seen actual real life photos of this figure like I have for the blue whale, but the eye size AND placement just ruins what would have been a 32-inch replica I would have gladly saved $500 for. It's a shame because they got it right for the blue whale, but it's so distractingly off for the sperm whale. Positioning of the eye about 2 inches higher than it should be basically umdermines how much work was placed in the rest of it. I hope one day, Kaiyodo does a sperm whale figure in the spirit of the 70 cm Blue Whale they have done, ideally about 45-50 cm.

What do you guys think?
Well actually Kaiyodo did release a large 1/35th scale Kaiyodo Sperm whale which was part of the Aqualand series.

JimoAi

It does look really off. Almost thought it was a dwarf sperm whale.

callmejoe3

Quote from: CetaceanFan on August 19, 2020, 02:46:17 AM
Well actually Kaiyodo did release a large 1/35th scale Kaiyodo Sperm whale which was part of the Aqualand series.

Yeah, I found out about that after making that post. It seems near impossible to find though. My brother's a bit of an amateur sculptor w/action figures and offered to take a shot at doing a mold and cast of a 16-inch sperm whale for me! It probably won't be done until maybe October given classes and all, but I can wait!

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on August 19, 2020, 03:30:09 AM
It does look really off. Almost thought it was a dwarf sperm whale.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who got Kogia vibes from this

Isurus

Quote from: callmejoe3 on August 17, 2020, 04:07:18 AM

What do you guys think?

I think this is a terrible mistake by PNSO. :-\
They are good at making dinosaurs, but sperm whales are too bad....

CetaceanFan

Quote from: callmejoe3 on August 19, 2020, 05:04:04 AM
Quote from: CetaceanFan on August 19, 2020, 02:46:17 AM

Yeah, I found out about that after making that post. It seems near impossible to find though. My brother's a bit of an amateur sculptor w/action figures and offered to take a shot at doing a mold and cast of a 16-inch sperm whale for me! It probably won't be done until maybe October given classes and all, but I can wait!
Oh wow, I am definitely interested in seeing the final sculpt. Be sure to keep us updated lol

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isurus on August 19, 2020, 09:07:10 AM

I think this is a terrible mistake by PNSO. :-\
They are good at making dinosaurs, but sperm whales are too bad....

It just confounds me, because they did the Blue at the same time and it looks just fine! I mean how hard is it to mess up an extant animal this badly!