News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animals beginning with the letters U and X?

Started by suspsy, June 22, 2020, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

How many can you name? And how many of them have toys?

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on June 22, 2020, 03:46:23 PM
How many can you name? And how many of them have toys?

Common or Latin names?

For the latter, there are two scarab beetles, Xylotrupes gideon and X. pubescens. The former is commonly called the 'brown rhinoceros beetle', not sure X. pubescens has a common name.

EDIT: meaning, I do have toys/figures of both species.

sbell

We'll pretty much be looking at Binomial games I guess.

Uromastyx comes to mind. Urolophus. Xenomystus, Xiphias (have one of those at least...), Xenosaurus

There's a few different Unicornfish I guess.

It's not a common thing. Even Q would do better...

stargatedalek

I've only seen one Uromastyx figure (Zulu). But as common names go that might be the only one.

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 22, 2020, 09:47:18 PM
I've only seen one Uromastyx figure (Zulu). But as common names go that might be the only one.

Uromastyx is still the binomial name...it just gets used as the common name too!

There's a lot of fish with names like Ukrainian "..." and Umbrella "..." and Utah "..." for example but at least in English your best best are Unicornfish or Upside-Down catfish.

Oh, and the monkey Uakari! There was a Play Visions of that one (although, I guess, not technically English, but adopted as such).

X is probably worse. After X-ray tetra/X-ray fish there's not much (again, in English. We don't make enough use of all of our alphabet apparently!)

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 22, 2020, 10:20:29 PM

Uromastyx is still the binomial name...it just gets used as the common name too!

There's a lot of fish with names like Ukrainian "..." and Umbrella "..." and Utah "..." for example but at least in English your best best are Unicornfish or Upside-Down catfish.

Oh, and the monkey Uakari! There was a Play Visions of that one (although, I guess, not technically English, but adopted as such).

X is probably worse. After X-ray tetra/X-ray fish there's not much (again, in English. We don't make enough use of all of our alphabet apparently!)

Did Play Visions make an uakari? I know Nayab did, but technically it is a Bald Uakari, so it would go under 'B' for the Blog LOL

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 22, 2020, 11:20:38 PM
Quote from: sbell on June 22, 2020, 10:20:29 PM

Did Play Visions make an uakari? I know Nayab did, but technically it is a Bald Uakari, so it would go under 'B' for the Blog LOL

Well, I categorize as "uakari, bald" but as long as it's generic enough. And I'm pretty sure they did...I had it at one point. As does the little Nayab primates set.

But it's a pretty big reach to find any 'U' animals, so we might have to live with it...

suspsy

For X there's the xeme, but I think it's better known as Sabine's gull. And I'm sure no one is about to make a toy of that one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine's_gull

Isidro

Common English names: come to my mind uakari, umbrellabird, unicornfish. Really I think that none English generic common name of an animal starts by X, tough some use the scientific name as the only available common name (Xenia) so maybe we could justify it as a common name.

Common Spanish names (as it's my language): Uacarí (=uakari), Ualabí (=wallaby), Ualarú (=wallaroo), Uapití (=wapiti), Uro (=aurochs), Urogallo (=capercaillie), Urraca (=magpie), Urubitinga (=Great black hawk), Urubú (one of the many common names of the American black vulture). No names by X.

Scientific names: List of just those genus that I have photos of:
Uaru (a kind of cichlid)
Uca (fiddler crab)
Udea (genus of moths)
Udora (fossil shrimps)
Uleiota (bark beetle)
Uloborus (spiders that have no venom)
Ultiolemur (tropical longhorn beetles)
Uma (a lizard)
Umbraculum (shelled "sea slug")
Umbrina (marine fish)
Unaspis (scale insect)
Uncilulus and Uncites (both fossil brachiopods)
Undina (fossil coelacanth)
Unio (freshwater mussel)
Upeneus (mullet)
Upogebia (digging shrimp)
Upucerthia (small brown bird)
Upupa (hoopoe)
Uracis (dragonfly)
Uraeginthus (blue estrildid finches)
Uragus (Siberian long-tailed finch)
Urania (extremely beautiful moth)
Uranoscopus (stargazer, a bottom fish)
Urbanus (a big, tail-winged skipper)
Urechis (Spoon worm)
Uresiphita (small moth)
Uria (murre/guillemot)
Urocerus (horn-tailed giant sawfly)
Urocissa (blue magpie)
Uroctea (five-spotted spider)
Urocyon (fox)
Urogomphus (fossil dragonfly)
Uroleucon (aphids)
Urolophus (rays)
Uromastyx (lizards)
Uroovobella (mites)
Urodontellus (seed beetle)
Urophora (picture-winged fly)
Uroplatus (leaf-tailed gecko)
Urosalpinx (sea snail)
Urosaurus (lizard)
Ursus (bear)
Urticina (sea anemone)
Usia (small bee fly)
Utetheisa (colorful small moth)
Utterbackia (freshwater mussel)
Uytenboogaartia (darkling beetle)

Xandrames (moth)
Xanthandrus (hoverfly)
Xanthia (owl moth)
Xanthichthys (triggerfish)
Xantho (crab)
Xanthocephalus (yellow and black bird)
Xanthochilus (plant bug)
Xanthogaleruca (elm leaf beetle)
Xanthogramma (hoverfly)
Xantholinus (rover beetle)
Xanthopsis (fossil crab)
Xanthorhoe (moth)
Xantusia (lizard)
Xema (gull)
Xenacanthus (fossil shark)
Xenagama (shield-tailed lizard)
Xenasaphus (trilobite)
Xenentodon (needle-bill fish)
Xenesthis (tarantula)
Xenia (pulsing coral)
Xenistius (marine fish)
Xenomystis (knifefish)
Xenophora (marine snail that collect snails)
Xenopirostris (bird from Madagascar)
Xenops (small brown bird)
Xenopsylla (flea)
Xenopus (clawed frog)
Xenos (stresipteran)
Xenotoca (small freshwater fish)
Xenus (sandpiper)
Xenylla (springtail)
Xerephedromyia (gall-inducing midge)
Xeris (horn-tailed sawfly)
Xerocrassa (land snail)
Xerolycosa (wolf spider)
Xerosecta (land snail)
Xerotricha (land snail)
Xerus (squirrel)
Xestia (owl moth)
Xionysius (small plant bug)
Xiphactinus (giant fossil fish)
Xiphias (swordfish)
Xiphidiopicus (woodpecker)
Xiphocolaptes (small brown bird)
Xipholena (purple cotinga)
Xiphophorus (livebearer fish)
Xiphorhynchus (small brown bird)
Xiphydria (primitive sawfly)
Xistrellula (small grasshopper)
Xolmis (tyrant)
Xylena (owl moth)
Xyletinus (wormwood beetle)
Xylocopa (carpenter bee)
Xylophanes (hawk moth)
Xylota (hoverfly)
Xylotrechus (small longhorn beetle)
Xylotrupes (rhinoceros beetle)
Xyphosia (picture-winged fly)
Xyrichthys (wrasse)
Xysticus (crab spider)

Besides that, one could think also in specific instead generic Englsh common names (such as Utila spiny-tailed iguana, etc), but maybe this is too much.