News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

How to create a lifesized waxworm

Started by stargatedalek, March 30, 2020, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I've been wanting for 1:1 scaled feeder insects to go with my reptile figures for a while now, so a few months ago I started getting supplies to try and make a few of my own. I finally got around to finishing up a couple of these recently, saw the tiny build challenge on Instructables and thought it would be fun to try entering.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Create-a-Realistic-Fake-Waxworm/

Isidro

Wow! They're very realistic! I totally didn't knew this side of you, as model creator!

AnimalToyForum

Advicot

Very well done, they look really realistic  :D
Don't I take long uploading photos!

sbell

Those are amazing--but for a quick fix, it is sometimes possible to find fishing lures of the right sizes and animals!

And I already knew you had the skills @stargatedalek ! I have some fish models printed from files you gave me!

stargatedalek

Thanks everyone!

Looking for feedback on any ways to improve these, as there was only so much I could figure out working with these little rubber lures as a base. I think I'll try not adding the spots on the sides as I wasn't able to make them small enough to look natural.

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 05, 2020, 03:15:09 PM
Thanks everyone!

Looking for feedback on any ways to improve these, as there was only so much I could figure out working with these little rubber lures as a base. I think I'll try not adding the spots on the sides as I wasn't able to make them small enough to look natural.

@stargatedalek The best way I've heard of to paint tiny dots is to cut all but one bristle off of a brush--maybe an older brush or something like that. Could even try to cut that bristle at a slight taper, for something even finer. That said, I am not a great painter by any measure...I mean, I can understand the theories and techniques, I just have no ability to make them work!

stargatedalek

I was thinking of trying a toothpick, but a brush with only one bristle would certainly give better control! I'll definitely have to try that.