News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

MammothProduction's Bird of the Day

Started by Avian, January 27, 2020, 10:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avian

Hey everybody! I am sure many of you are familiar with @bmathison1972 's "Bug of the Day". I have decided to create something similar, but with my focus group: the birds. The topic follows the same rules and format as Blaine's, for consistency, except that I will highlight a specific figure, not a species. I will try to post every other day, and at least once a week. Thank you, and enjoy!
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Avian

For the first post, I have decided to do something special to me. I will be doing the first bird figure that I have owned, the small but spectacular:

1.K&M Geat Horned Owl.
Species: Great Horned Owl, Bubo virginianus
Height: 1 5/8 Inches
Width: 1 inch
Production Year: 1994

Advicot

Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Ooooo I can tell I am going to enjoy this thread!

Avian

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 28, 2020, 04:21:37 PM
Ooooo I can tell I am going to enjoy this thread!
I'm glad to hear that! The image isnt very good, so I may upload a new photo this afternoon

AnimalToyForum

Great idea for a thread, I'll be following it! 8)

Avian

Avian

Avian

It's time for another post! Today's lucky figure is...

2. SeaWorld's South African Penguin
Species: African Penguin (South African Penguin, Cape Penguin, Jackass Penguin), Spheniscus demersus
Height: 2 Inches
Width: 1 Inch
Production Year: Unknown

bmathison1972

Is this just a reissue of something from a name brand, such as Safari? Or another?

Avian

I believe it is not a remake. There is no other labeling than Sea World and South African Penguin.

Avian

I just checked, and the sculpt is different than the name brand figures. However, the detail is surprisingly either on par or above the level of the name brand figures. The paint may be the only thing lacking.

stargatedalek

I have a few penguins from this set too, they are shockingly excellent for coming from a mystery manufacturer.

Keep up the good work! I considered doing something like this for birds a while ago but never committed to it. Guess I'm on reptiles ;)

Avian

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 30, 2020, 02:25:42 AM
I have a few penguins from this set too, they are shockingly excellent for coming from a mystery manufacturer.

Keep up the good work! I considered doing something like this for birds a while ago but never committed to it. Guess I'm on reptiles ;)
I have a few others as well, I believe they are an emperor and a Humboldt, but I havent looked in a while. I don't keep the emperor out, as my dog ended up with it somehow and now there are bite marks all over it. As for a daily reptile, I would love to see that.

Avian

Today's figure is very recently acquired, and I have kept it as a surprise until now:

3. Papo 2016 Maribou Stork
Species: Maribou Stork, Leptoptilos crumenifer
Height: 3.75 Inches
Width: 1.25 Inches
Production Year: 2016

AnimalToyForum

I can't see your photos, is your host offline?

Avian

I use Google Drive. Is the maribou stork the only one you cant see?

Advicot

Don't I take long uploading photos!

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: animaltoyforum on February 01, 2020, 12:32:05 AM

Working again, must've been a glitch. I like the Papo Maribou stork, I have it as well. My only quibble is the feet are a bit sloppily painted, and the base could be a bit broader.

Avian

Quote from: animaltoyforum on February 01, 2020, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on February 01, 2020, 12:32:05 AM

Working again, must've been a glitch. I like the Papo Maribou stork, I have it as well. My only quibble is the feet are a bit sloppily painted, and the base could be a bit broader.

Yes, I noticed this about the feet as well. As for the base, mine does not sit flat on the ground due. There is a small bump on the underside that keeps it off balance. Does yours do this too, or is it just me?