News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Aquatales

Started by Isidro, January 20, 2020, 09:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

Not sure of which section of the forum is the best for ask this, I finally decided by this one. While searching for the Aquatales sailfish from Kaiyodo I've found a group photo of a bunch of many diverse Aquatales figures, many that hardly have popped up in the collector forums. The most important: a perfect Missisippi paddlefish, that I was completely unaware of and looks like unknown in this community. No results appeared in Google while searching for Kaiyodo paddlefish. So please somebody know something about it? It's available anywhere?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91nve9M8skL._SL1500_.jpg

There is also a very attractive tigerfish that I would like to add to my collection if is not too big.

bmathison1972

Isidro, those are all resin figures from a couple special lines. They are bigger than typical Kaiyodo figures. For example, I have the crab and it has a 4.0 cm carapace and a 10.0 cm legspan
some may fit into your size range but they are all delicate resin

EDIT: brontodocus reviewed several in the Walkarounds section

Isidro

Yes, the brontodocus review of the sailfish was what lead me to this picture but I failed to find nothing about the paddlefish that appears in it. Not even a single image in Google!

I know it's polyresin, a thing that matters many collectors (overall those with children) but not too much to me - my SuperSculpey homemade models are more fragile than that! I also have (as you, too) the Natural History tibetan sand fox that is also a resin model.

Thanks for the reply :)

postsaurischian

The story of the Aquatales 25th birthday edition ended as a sad one.
The series started in 2013/14. 31 figures were planned for release, parted into 5 seperate sub-series.
Sub-series 1 and 2 had been released, when Kaiyodo stopped the production because of low sales of these two. The rest never saw the light of day :( .
This picture explains a bit what I'm writing here (sorry for the circles - those are the ones I have):

I was very very disappointed (and brontodocus, too) when they cancelled the series, because these figures are among the best Kaiyodo has ever produced. Larger than common Aquatales - perfectly updated, perfectly painted, no seamlines. I was so hot especially for the sharks and the Paddlefish and the Walrus and the .......
Also I will never understand why people didn't buy them. HLJ had been offering them for years for ¥1.810 each, which was a bargain considering what people tend to pay for other (lower quality) Kaiyodo figures.

@Isidro: Maybe you'd like to send Brett a message. I'm sure his Japanese source could find a sailfish for you. The figure is worth the effort. It's my personal favourite sailfish.

postsaurischian

>  product information in case Brett's source (Emiko?) needed some:

Isidro

Ohhhh! That's the explanation about why most of the figures have zero info about them in the net. Many thanks for this explanation, postsaurischian!
So, my dreamed paddlefish was never nothing more than a prototype :(
Yes, this sailfish is amazing, but I find the new Papo one very good too. And probably will be much cheaper and easy to acquire from Europe. The Kaiyodo one have a better paintjob, but the shape and sculpt looks great in the Papo one. And I have a metallic blue marker :P

So, the sailfish, manta ray, Japanese huchen salmon and maybe the humphead wrasse is all what it's interesting for me and was released. But not the amazing and so wished paddlefish :(

Avian

I'm most excited about the manta ray. I often see these animals on offshore fishing trips, so they have a certain significance for me.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.