News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What are the worst represented groups in the animal toy market?

Started by Badger, January 12, 2020, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

What the title says; I imagine there'll be quite a lot of differing answers, as the range of focus groups amongst members here is quite diverse  :P
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

Avian

You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Avian

Also the range of birds is very small, if you consider specie ratios.

stargatedalek

Quote from: MammothProductions on January 12, 2020, 09:23:44 PM
Cambrian quadrapedals.
Am I missing something or did you mean Carboniferous? I heartily agree though, a Hylonomus in particular would be something special!

I think if we go by sheer species count than categorically beetles have to be the least represented group, but well, that's kind of cheating :P

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 12, 2020, 10:34:48 PM
Cambrian quadrapedals.
Am I missing something or did you mean Carboniferous? I heartily agree though, a Hylonomus in particular would be something special!

I think if we go by sheer species count than categorically beetles have to be the least represented group, but well, that's kind of cheating :P

Actually seeing how many beetle species there are in toy form, mites and nematodes are probably more underrepresented in terms of percentages... but yeah I am using the same cheating criteria LOL

Avian

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 12, 2020, 10:34:48 PM
Cambrian quadrapedals.

My bad I was in a rush.

suspsy

I think crocodilians are badly represented in the sense that the overwhelming majority of them are either American alligators or Nile crocodiles. Where's the black caiman? The Orinoco crocodile? The mugger? The false gharial?

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on January 13, 2020, 12:56:09 AM
I think crocodilians are badly represented in the sense that the overwhelming majority of them are either American alligators or Nile crocodiles. Where's the black caiman? The Orinoco crocodile? The mugger? The false gharial?

Safari's 2019 caiman most-closely resembles a black caiman. Personally, I'd like a standard-sized American crocodile!

suspsy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 13, 2020, 01:02:08 AM

Safari's 2019 caiman most-closely resembles a black caiman. Personally, I'd like a standard-sized American crocodile!

I dunno, it looks more like a Yacare or a spectacled caiman to me. Especially with those large eyes. Black caimans can grow to the same size as alligators, possibly even larger.

An American crocodile toy would be great. And so would more Indian gharials.

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on January 13, 2020, 02:30:03 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 13, 2020, 01:02:08 AM

I dunno, it looks more like a Yacare or a spectacled caiman to me. Especially with those large eyes. Black caimans can grow to the same size as alligators, possibly even larger.

An American crocodile toy would be great. And so would more Indian gharials.

You know, I think the Yacare might be better! I hadn't considered that one initially. It doesn't look like a spectacled to me, but it does look more like a Yacare than a black.

BlueKrono

As far as I know there's not a single velvet worm figure.  :'(
I like turtles.

Isidro

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 15, 2020, 06:42:23 AM

As are other tons of big taxa (phyla and classes). Any brachiopods? Phoronideans? Acanthocephala? Chaetognatha? Bryozoa anyone? Even nothing as familiar as a leech, limpet, chiton...?

stemturtle

Quote from: Isidro on January 15, 2020, 08:11:52 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on January 15, 2020, 06:42:23 AM

As are other tons of big taxa (phyla and classes). Any brachiopods? Phoronideans? Acanthocephala? Chaetognatha? Bryozoa anyone? Even nothing as familiar as a leech, limpet, chiton...?

@Isidro Starlux issued a brachiopod, Paraspirifer (syn. Spirifer) bownocheri, but it tends to be pricey.

stargatedalek

I distinctly recall seeing a chiton somewhere. Either it was in a set where I wasn't interested in the others or was expensive for what it was, otherwise I would have gotten it! Perhaps AAA would be a good place to start, a chiton would fit right in among their bivalves and marine snails.

bmathison1972

I just ordered a leech from AliExpress :)

I would LOVE an acanthocephalan. I am about to write a review article on human acanthocephaliasis!

Badger

In addition to what everyone else said, Epoch made a (larval stage) phoronidean for their Ecology of Plankton set.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

sirenia

bmathison1972

suspsy

Pinnipeds really aren't that well represented either. Sure, there's plenty of walruses and generic sea lions and seals, but I wish we were getting more specific ones like the crabeater and the Weddell and the ribbon seal. I'd also like to see a southern elephant seal, as all the existing elephant seal toys appear to be the northern species.

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on May 18, 2020, 01:18:03 AM
Pinnipeds really aren't that well represented either. Sure, there's plenty of walruses and generic sea lions and seals, but I wish we were getting more specific ones like the crabeater and the Weddell and the ribbon seal. I'd also like to see a southern elephant seal, as all the existing elephant seal toys appear to be the northern species.

When I bought the Papo elephant seal, I was under the impression it was a northern, but discussions on the STS forum convinced me it's a southern. Honestly it can probably go either way. For now I have it databased as a southern... would love to hear your thoughts on it @suspsy