News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA 2021 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, November 30, 2019, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Ahoy,

Threads like this have become a tradition over on the DTF, so I thought I would start one here. Now that CollectA's 2020 assortment has been fully revealed, what would be your dream assortment for 2021?

For myself, I'd like any of the following:

-African forest elephant
-Mandrill
-Spotted hyena
-Martial eagle
-Savannah monitor lizard
-Barbary ape
-Bengal tiger
-Gaur
-Sumatran rhinoceros
-Gharial
-Jaguar
-Black caiman
-Harpy eagle
-Rhea
-Spectacled bear
-Puma
-Kodiak bear
-Coyote
-Basking shark
-Anglerfish
-Colossal squid
-Loggerhead turtle
-Beluga sturgeon
-False killer whale
-Oarfish
-Stellar's sea cow

Advicot

I would say that it's possible CollectA will release an African elephant but a forest elephant is another story.  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Isidro

Wow, we didn't begint 2020 yet and already there is a 2021 wish list :D :D :D :D

I like your chooses and some of them would end in my home if done at the correct size for me: forest elephant (very unlikely), martial eagle, rhea, spectacled bear - the only bear without models in big brands now -, beluga sturgeon, false killer whale and maaaaaaybe Stellar's sea cow. For the others there is already good models from other brands, or they just don't catch enough my attention.

Since none of my CollectA 2020 hopes and dreams selection was to be done for next year, I will just choose the same list again. And adding a good malayan tapir from a NEW SCULPT too :D :D :D (unless I get the Safari's first :D )

Isidro

P. S. Barbary ape?  ??? I suppose do you mean barbary macaque...?

Advicot

After taking a look a look at old CollectA models which haven't been retired I would say in 2021 they'll release:

African Elephant
African Elephant Calf
Giant Panda
Dromedary Camel

As well they would probably throw a couple of new species in there such as:
A really wanted Andean (spectacles) Bear
Sei Whale
Saddle Bill Stork
Roan Antelope 

Isidro

Yesssssssssss to Roan Antelope! The only one in the trade is the retired Noah's Pals couple, but knowing the good work of CollectA with antelopes, for sure they would do a better one!

Advicot

For the 2021 survey by Safari, I suggested that they should do a Roan Antelope, saddle billed Stork and an aye aye. If CollectA did a roan antelope it would be way better but it would be nice two of them in the trade.  :)

AcroSauroTaurus

Strap-toothed Beaked Whale
Gharial
False Gharial
Gemsbok
Dwarf Sperm Whale
Goblin Shark
Four-horned Antelope
Cookie-cutter Shark
Giant Oarfish
Abyssinian Ground Hornbill
Spiny Bush Viper
Sumatran Rhinoceros
Blue Antelope
Klipspringer
Quagga
Jackson's Chameleon
Among others.
I am the Dinosaur King!

suspsy

Quote from: Isidro on November 30, 2019, 10:09:01 PM
P. S. Barbary ape?  ??? I suppose do you mean barbary macaque...?

I'm used to calling it a Barbary ape. It's the name I grew up hearing.

Quote from: Advicot on November 30, 2019, 09:31:37 PM
I would say that it's possible CollectA will release an African elephant but a forest elephant is another story.  :)

I don't see why the forest elephant wouldn't make a fantastic toy. It's got a very cool appearance and while it may be the smallest elephant, it's still the third biggest land animal.

Advicot

True, but remember to major brands all African elephants are the same and to brands  all Asian elephants are also the same. It's understandable with giraffes as their subspecies have different coat patterns, but the elephant subspecies look very similar especially to the untrained eye.

suspsy

I would argue that it's far easier to tell an African forest elephant from a savannah elephant. Putting aside the size difference, the downward facing pinkish brown tusks are a dead giveaway.

Advicot

Yeah I agree. The problem is will a brand make a downward facing tusk elephant. It costs a lot of money to produce the moulds and why would CollectA go to all the trouble to make a slightly downward facing tusk elephant?! In my opinion it would be cool to have an African forest elephant but it's super unlikely they will make one.

suspsy

Quote from: Advicot on December 06, 2019, 05:26:31 PM
Yeah I agree. The problem is will a brand make a downward facing tusk elephant. It costs a lot of money to produce the moulds and why would CollectA go to all the trouble to make a slightly downward facing tusk elephant?! In my opinion it would be cool to have an African forest elephant but it's super unlikely they will make one.

That reasoning doesn't make sense, because it would be just as expensive to produce a new savanna elephant. And the tusks are not just "slightly" pointing downward; they are significantly different from a bush elephant's. 

Advicot

I mean as well as a Savannah elephant. 

stargatedalek

Solution is easy, make them in dramatically different poses. People who don't collect things with such scientific reasoning may not care or know they are different species, but buy both anyway.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 06, 2019, 09:43:21 PM
Solution is easy, make them in dramatically different poses. People who don't collect things with such scientific reasoning may not care or know they are different species, but buy both anyway.

Yes, just like how Schleich does it with their male and female elephants.

TheAnimalStudyGuy

Why an elephant, if CollectA has already two or three?

For CollectA, I would prefer they release a Bornean banteng (Bos javanicus lowi). The earlier they release at least a bull banteng, the better, because the Banteng is my absolute favorite animal...

By the way, when will CollectA release a survey for ideas?

suspsy

Quote from: MansoBoricua on April 20, 2020, 03:40:22 AM
Why an elephant, if CollectA has already two or three?

Because all of CollectA's current elephants are woefully outdated and look bad compared to their most recent animal figures. Not to mention compared to the elephant figures made by their competitors.

Advicot

I do believe they may release a forest elephant as well as a new flamingo, dromedary and pandas

suspsy

A forest elephant would definitely be my first preference, but an updated Asian elephant would be great as well.

CollectA also needs to replace their polar bears and their chimpanzees.