News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Hope for 2020

Started by Animalibus, August 27, 2019, 07:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animalibus

Hi guys. By 2020 I would like Collecta, Safari Ltd or Schleich to produce more typical South American animals. Here are some suggestions for animals that have never been produced or are unavailable.
Black Vulture
Andean Condor: the largest species of vulture in the world
Black-necked Swan
Burrowing Owl
Spectacled Bear: a kind of andean bear
Amazon River Dolphin
Giant River Otter: the largest species of otter in the world
Mountain Tapir
Marh Deer: the largest species of deer in South America
Arrau River Turtle: the largenst river turtle in South America
Giant Armadillo: the largest species of armadillo in the world
South American Bushmaster: the largest deer in South America
Tayra: a kind of carnivorous
White-lipped Peccarie: the largest species of Tayassuidae in South America
Muriqui: the largest species of monkey in South America endemic (exclusive) to the Atlantic Forest in southeastern Brazil
Vicuña: a kind of Camelidae of the Andes
Mara: a kind of patagonian rodent
Azara's Agouti

What do you think?

AnimalToyForum

I'd like to see a Papo sunfish (Mola mola).

suspsy

I'd like CollectA to make an African forest elephant, a gharial, and a colossal squid.

Beetle guy

I'd like Ikimon to do another frog, salamander series. Or a beetle lifecycle!
To beetle or not to beetle.

Badger

That CollectA starts being more ambitious with its tubes.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

suspsy

It would also be neat if CollectA took a page from their prehistoric line and produced an extant animal corpse like a zebra or a deer or a bison. Would make for some fun dioramas with lion and tiger and wolf figures!

Isidro

Quote from: Animalibus on August 27, 2019, 07:45:59 PM

Modern taxonomy is so absurd that I would not be surprised if snakes are considered as kind of deers :D :D :D

Largest South American monkeys are actually the howler monkeys, not the muriquis.
I'm surprised to learn that white-lipped peccary is bigger than Chacoan peccary. I had the impression of Chacoan being the largest of the three species...

Besides that, I would love to have figurines of most of your species list. Especially the andean condor, black-necked swan (my favourite swan species), spectacled bear, Amazon river dolphin, giant otter, mountain tapir, marsh deer, giant armadillo and white-lipped peccary.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on August 28, 2019, 09:50:28 PM
It would also be neat if CollectA took a page from their prehistoric line and produced an extant animal corpse like a zebra or a deer or a bison. Would make for some fun dioramas with lion and tiger and wolf figures!

Very interesting thought, although I doubt that will ever happen. I think most companies and parents (if not the kids) would balk at the thought of a modern day animal corpse toy. Dinosaurs, being extinct, are somehow a step removed from reality, which may be why CollectA gets away with it. I'd be very curious to know how well they sell.

Also, it could get pretty tasteless with modern animals, what next, pet roadkill? :-\

OkapiBoy

The wishing game ;D
The last few year, Collecta is pretty much the only brand whose extant animals I like. They have been fulfilling my wishes so far.
My wish is to see them do a Roan antelope, Duiker, Kouprey, Javan rhino, Topi antelope :D

suspsy

Quote from: animaltoyforum on August 30, 2019, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 28, 2019, 09:50:28 PM

Very interesting thought, although I doubt that will ever happen. I think most companies and parents (if not the kids) would balk at the thought of a modern day animal corpse toy. Dinosaurs, being extinct, are somehow a step removed from reality, which may be why CollectA gets away with it. I'd be very curious to know how well they sell.

Also, it could get pretty tasteless with modern animals, what next, pet roadkill? :-\

I'd have enjoyed playing with figures of animal corpses when I was little. Whether or not my mother would have allowed them is another story.

Road kill is going too far, though.

stargatedalek

Kitan club did a series of African wildlife as mounts, those aren't really in the same niche as a traditional toy but still pretty neat.

I'd buy it if it was a species I liked, or common prey of a species I like, especially if there was a matching alive version like CollectA does with the dinosaurs. I'd even consider roadkill, though actual roadkill doesn't tend to look particularly different from any other dead animal, unless you went full Looney Tunes with tread marks and whatnot.

Animalibus

Quote from: Isidro on August 29, 2019, 09:19:10 AM
Quote from: Animalibus on August 27, 2019, 07:45:59 PM

I'm surprised to learn that white-lipped peccary is bigger than Chacoan peccary. I had the impression of Chacoan being the largest of the three species
Hi, you are correct, sorry for the mistake, I was thinking about Brazilian species

Gwangi

Too late for 2020 but having seen the Great Lakes toob I now feel a need for a Chesapeake Bay toob. I would personally suggest it contain...

Blue crab
Eastern Oyster
Striped Bass
Osprey
Black Duck
Muskrat
Delmarva Fox Squirrel
Diamondback Terrapin
Oyster Toadfish
Horseshoe Crab

Badger

Quote from: Gwangi on October 04, 2019, 04:46:28 AM
Too late for 2020 but having seen the Great Lakes toob I now feel a need for a Chesapeake Bay toob. I would personally suggest it contain...

Blue crab
Eastern Oyster
Striped Bass
Osprey
Black Duck
Muskrat
Delmarva Fox Squirrel
Diamondback Terrapin
Oyster Toadfish
Horseshoe Crab

As someone who hasn't ever lived in or been to Chesaspeake Bay, all of these species choices, especially the osprey, would make me buy the toob in a heartbeat.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)