News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

General discussion

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 06, 2012, 06:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 20, 2014, 04:37:19 PM
Okay, then, I'll see what I can do - but it'll have to wait until the kids are asleep. The list may also become a bit longer than the one on the DTF.

Indeed!

I've been so busy the last few months I haven't had time to update the new for 2014 company threads either, which will make the task a little more difficult still...

There is no rush, or obligation, please don't put yourself out! :)

AnimalToyForum

Oh, yeah, and when the poll is over I'll create a youtube video announcing the winners :) I could do that over the Xmas holiday...

brontodocus

Currently I gathered 2014 releases by Bullyland, CollectA, Mojö Fun, Papo, Safari Ltd, and Schleich. I left out sets and toobs and ended up at over 180 figures. :o And I haven't even begun to make a list of Japanese releases like Kaiyodo, Kitan Club, T-A.R.T.S and the like... any suggestions how to handle this?

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on December 20, 2014, 10:32:18 PM
Currently I gathered 2014 releases by Bullyland, CollectA, Mojö Fun, Papo, Safari Ltd, and Schleich. I left out sets and toobs and ended up at over 180 figures. :o And I haven't even begun to make a list of Japanese releases like Kaiyodo, Kitan Club, T-A.R.T.S and the like... any suggestions how to handle this?

Instead of a poll, how about setting up an email account where everyone can email you their top THREE (got that people, only THREE) favorites and then you can publish the data in a thread. If you gave each vote a number of points (e.g. 5 pts for 1st choice, 3 pts. for 2nd choice, and 1 pt. for 3rd choice), you can create a list based on a points system.

...and if people abuse the system by giving you long lists or emailing you every other day changing their minds, their data will not be considered. This cannot be burdensome on you or whomever takes on this task.

AnimalToyForum

Hmm. One poll with almost 200 options is clearly unmanageable. The email idea is a good one but might be a bit work heavy too, depending how many votes are cast.

How about we split the burden so a different member creates a separate poll for each specific line.

Then, the winning, say, two from each poll, go into a 'final' poll. It might also add a little tension to the affair.  ;)

If Andre posts the full list (copy paste) then we can each create a poll or two. What do you think?

brontodocus

Thanks, Blaine and Adam. :) Sounds like a good suggestion to split into different polls. I'll be off until very late in the evening but I could make one poll for each of those six companies afterwards. My overview of Japanese companies isn't as good, so maybe someone else may be interested in compiling those?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 21, 2014, 11:52:33 AM
Thanks, Blaine and Adam. :) Sounds like a good suggestion to split into different polls. I'll be off until very late in the evening but I could make one poll for each of those six companies afterwards. My overview of Japanese companies isn't as good, so maybe someone else may be interested in compiling those?

Excellent. If you post the complete list in a separate post then I can use that to create a poll. I'll do, say, Safari Ltd.

I'm not so hot on Japanese figures either, any volunteers?  O:-)

bmathison1972

How about if we have taxonomic polls: mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians, and invertebrates?

postsaurischian

Phew! The Japanese list is a hard thing to do. I know a lot of what came out in 2014, but would never dare to warrant completeness.
There are also a lot of a bit cartoonish series. Should we take these into account as well?
Finding pictures of everything would be the next problem. I might give it a try though :-\.

AnimalToyForum

We could just omit the Japanese miniatures altogether and stick to the sort of toys that kids might play with...

postsaurischian

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 21, 2014, 09:28:59 PM
We could just omit the Japanese miniatures altogether and stick to the sort of toys that kids might play with...

It's hard to vote for the best when you leave them out!  ;)

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on December 21, 2014, 11:02:26 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 21, 2014, 09:28:59 PM

It's hard to vote for the best when you leave them out!  ;)

Well, some might argue that miniature models of that kind don't count as toys. There are all sorts of other animal ornaments that will surely be missed off the list for similar reasons. We have to draw the line somewhere ;)

brontodocus

Actually, I think it's best not to leave out the Japanese gashapon-style figures. Even if it means we would have to deal with well over a hundred additional possible contenders (Kaiyodo has been especially prolific with their CapsuleQ Museum series but there are also lots of Kitan Club and others). We should probably exclude resins, though. And while 2014 has brought many wonderful figures by non-Japanese brands I think Japanese companies are still more consistent in producing high quality figures. Plus those gashapon figures have a popularity in Japan that can be compared with Kinder Surprise eggs so they are aimed at children and collectors at the same time.

AnimalToyForum

Alright, the Japanese figuresd are in!  8)

We have a project on our hands now ;)

AnimalToyForum

Thanks for posting the non-Japanese list Brontodocus, I have moved it here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1347.0

We can start creating the polls as soon as we wish. :) We can put them in the 'new for 2014' section...

brontodocus

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 22, 2014, 01:46:21 PM
Thanks for posting the non-Japanese list Brontodocus, I have moved it here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1347.0

We can start creating the polls as soon as we wish. :) We can put them in the 'new for 2014' section...
Okay then, thanks for putting it into the right category. :) Oh, and congrats, this was your 1000th post! 8)

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 22, 2014, 09:52:35 AM
Alright, the Japanese figuresd are in!  8)

We have a project on our hands now ;)

Good. I would have argued, at least, that the new blue Asian Arowana from Colorata straddles the line between toy and model.

Also, it will need to be in the list. This poll will be ridiculously large!

bmathison1972

I suggested early on about doing taxonomic polls; this was we can rate figures more easily based on similar critters. If we divide the work into 5 taxonomic groups, and each one of us takes one, it will lessen the work load (Sean can do fish, I can do inverts, etc.)

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 22, 2014, 02:12:00 PM
I suggested early on about doing taxonomic polls; this was we can rate figures more easily based on similar critters. If we divide the work into 5 taxonomic groups, and each one of us takes one, it will lessen the work load (Sean can do fish, I can do inverts, etc.)

I see your reasoning, but the figures are already sorted by company in the list, so I think it will be easier to just do the polls this way too. :)