News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Bandai - New for 2019

Started by bmathison1972, May 02, 2019, 01:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Holy cow, it looks like Bandai is producing the first ever ceratocanthine figure (family Hybosoridae, another first!!!).

The figures are monochromatic and I don't know the Asian fauna (heck, even the US fauna) well enough to guess a species.

I'll get a gray version.

Beetle guy

Wow that looks cool, Will get this one!
To beetle or not to beetle.

Isidro

Oh, I was aware of the family Hybosoridae, but not aware of the existence of pillbug beetles in it! Amazing evolutive convergence with isopods, glomerids/sphaerotherids, trilobites and armadillos :D

bmathison1972

And this new set has a new species (well, new for this series; Kaiyodo has made one). The brown figure is Cudaris murina

thanks BeetleGuy for the ID translation.

bmathison1972

Bandai is doing a roll-able giant marine isopod in their Dango Mushi Line:

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 29, 2019, 02:09:17 AM
Bandai is doing a roll-able giant marine isopod in their Dango Mushi Line:

Is this new for 2019 or 2020? Might be time for me to set up a new board!

bmathison1972

It is due to be released November 2019

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

The Dango Mushi 05 set is finally out, and the 'secret' depicted in the earlier pic is a new species, Armadillidium klugii (the one with the yellow spots, and in the eBay post I just bought mine from, the sculpt looks new as well)!!!!

bmathison1972

Apparently these just came out. Looks like a similar concept to the Dango Mushi line. Can anyone ID the tortoises ( @stargatedalek @Badger @Gwangi )???

They are tempting but I think a little too big for me. Bandai released smaller versions of the Dango Mushi isopods, so maybe one day we'll get smaller versions of these?

stargatedalek

Indian star tortoise (juvenile) and Hermann's tortoise. Both in relatively 1:1 scale, though Hermann's tortoises can get considerably larger that is about the size of a mature adult (they just tend to continue growing after that), and the Indian star tortoise appears to be deliberately modeled after a younger individual.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 26, 2019, 02:39:10 PM
Indian star tortoise (juvenile) and Hermann's tortoise. Both in relatively 1:1 scale, though Hermann's tortoises can get considerably larger that is about the size of a mature adult (they just tend to continue growing after that), and the Indian star tortoise appears to be deliberately modeled after a younger individual.

Thanks. I have a decent Indian star already. I would love Hermann's tortoise but I think this will be too big (and I am not sold on the Papo one either). It is hard to appreciated the size. Sometimes, the Japanese manufacturers I think intentionally use people with tiny hands to make figures look big. I'll have to see what the total length on the figure is.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 26, 2019, 07:57:40 PM

Thanks. I have a decent Indian star already. I would love Hermann's tortoise but I think this will be too big (and I am not sold on the Papo one either). It is hard to appreciated the size. Sometimes, the Japanese manufacturers I think intentionally use people with tiny hands to make figures look big. I'll have to see what the total length on the figure is.
The Colorata I presume? It's quite nice indeed.

The total length is advertised at 100mm, but that could vary a lot depending on the pose of the head.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 26, 2019, 08:28:21 PM

The total length is  advertised at 100mm.

Darn, that might be too big. Yujin made a Hermann's tortoise that will match better with my Sumatran and Indian stars; I might holdout for that one... Thanks stargatedalek.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 26, 2019, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 26, 2019, 08:28:21 PM

The total length is  advertised at 100mm.

Darn, that might be too big. Yujin made a Hermann's tortoise that will match better with my Sumatran and Indian stars; I might holdout for that one... Thanks stargatedalek.
Safari has a tortoise that isn't labeled at the species level but that if I'm recalling correctly was also a Hermann's tortoise. And Schleich made a generic tortoise a few years ago that was painted to match one, but the sculpt seemed more like a Gopher tortoise (flat-ish shell, large head). These might also be in scale.