This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Emperor Scorpion (Kaiyodo - Revogeo)  (Read 4119 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Emperor Scorpion (Kaiyodo - Revogeo)
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
OK, time for Blaine to get back to bugs! Today is a walkaround of the emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1842) by Kaiyodo - Revogeo, new for 2019!

I will be honest, I almost didn't get this (or any upcoming figures in the set, except maybe the crab). They are 1) large, 2) very expensive, and 3) species commonly made. With my 2019 focus being building a synoptic non-arthropod collection, I thought these would wait. I finally decided to get one, and boy am I glad I did! Later this month (or so), a red-clawed crab should be released in this series, and eventually a Japanese giant water bug, Japanese hornet, red swamp crayfish, mantis, and one or more (?) stag beetles.

The figure is hard to measure accurately since the tail is not fully articulated, but it measures about 20.0 cm, which technically makes it 1:1 for a maximum-sized specimen (although it's larger than any I have seen in terraria). It is made of a lightweight, durable plastic. Most of the figure is articulated: body segments, base of tail, claws (including the pincers themselves). The walking legs and the segments within the tail are not articulated. The detail is amazing (as to be expected by Kaiyodo) and the color is good.

The figure is actually not quite as big as I had feared (I think they have people with small hands model them for photos) and is comparable to the Safari Smithsonian figure (see last image). Another reason the figure seems large is that the Smithsonian insects were all supposed to be in the 2:1 range, but this figure does measure about 20.0 cm which technically makes it on the far end of 1:1

The figure comes secure in a nice large box reminiscent of a book (honestly I bet most of the cost of this thing comes from the packaging  C:-) ).

I bought mine on Saturday form Monsters in Motion out of California and got it in 3 days (and it was still one of the few under $100 USD, well, before shipping).

IMAGE-HEAVY thread:

Alongside the Safari Smithsonian figure (right):

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
Re: Emperor Scorpion (Kaiyodo - Revogeo)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
a really great model Blaine! And, I must admit comforting to see you back on arthropods  :)).
They are expensive indeed. The grayfish I saw in on the net (grey, Lol, not painted) It really looked sweet. I might go for the hornet and the Dorcus binodulosus.

And.. does it glow in the dark, I saw a glow in the dark version on the internet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:47:39 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »
a really great model Blaine! And, I must admit comforting to see you back on arthropods  :)).
They are expensive indeed. The grayfish I saw in on the net (grey, Lol, not painted) It really looked sweet. I might go for the hornet and the Dorcus binodulosus.

And.. does it glow in the dark, I saw a glow in the dark version on the internet.

Apparently, there are glo-in-the dark versions.

Funny, you and I are going for opposites. I'll get the crab and water bug, maybe not the beetles and wasp (although the completist in me might take over). They crayfish looks desirable too. All the species in this series have been made 7-40 times! LOL

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
I agree that is a pitty, they could have suprised the collector with something new. Ikimon is going for some new species more than the other companies, I supose. I hope they will update their frog set though.
The waterbug is on my wishlist but considering the price I will be bound ;-)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:27:55 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 12:34:02 AM »
I have the crab preordered, if I didn't have the Smithsonian already I'd have gone for this one too!

The detail and in particular the colours are obviously superior here, but do you have the giant Schleich scorpion to compare the articulation?

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
I have the crab preordered, if I didn't have the Smithsonian already I'd have gone for this one too!

The detail and in particular the colours are obviously superior here, but do you have the giant Schleich scorpion to compare the articulation?

Giant Schleich scorpion? Oh, never heard of such a thing. I have a similar-sized articulated Chap Mei figure but I haven't compared the articulation yet.

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »

Giant Schleich scorpion? Oh, never heard of such a thing. I have a similar-sized articulated Chap Mei figure but I haven't compared the articulation yet.
It's from one of the mythological series. No assigned ID, but (the claws at least are) clearly modeled off an emperor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal