News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Beetle pairs

Started by Beetle guy, April 06, 2019, 07:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

Female beetles a rare sight in toy/figurine land. Maybe because male beetles of the populair insect figurines (Dynastidae and Lucanidae) are morphologically more striking.
I have more beetle species as figurine (specially by Yuijin) in which it could be arguable if it is a male or female. I will consider adding them.

Many of the female beetles are by DeAgostini, and so of the finest in beetle figures.

Eupatorus gracilicornis male and female by DeAgostini World Insect Databook. Scale 1:1.

Megasoma Mars male and female by DeAgostini World Insect Databook. Scale 1:1.

Dynastes hercules male and female by DeAgostini World Insect Databook. Scale 1:1.

Phalacrognathus muelleri male and female by DeAgostini World Insect Databook. Scale 1:1.

Xylotrupes dichotomus male and female by F-Toys Insect hunter series. This female beetle's quality is up with the DeAgostini's. Scale 1:1.

Lamprima adolphinae males and females by F-toys. Scale 1:1.

Prosopocoilus inclinatus male and female by Furuta Insect science. Scale 1:1.

To beetle or not to beetle.

Isidro

Quote from: Beetle guy on April 06, 2019, 07:42:02 PMMaybe because male beetles are morphologically more striking.

You always can put two of the unsexed figures of almost any beetle (except some Scarabaeoidea such as the ones in your pictures and some others) and tell that one is a male and the one is a female.
In most beetles, tough the difference is quite small, the striking sex is the female, as, following the usual rule in insects in general, females tend to be larger than males :D

Beetle guy

Quote from: Isidro on April 06, 2019, 07:52:41 PM
Quote from: Beetle guy on April 06, 2019, 07:42:02 PMMaybe because male beetles are morphologically more striking.

You always can put two of the unsexed figures of almost any beetle (except some Scarabaeoidea such as the ones in your pictures and some others) and tell that one is a male and the one is a female.
In most beetles, tough the difference is quite small, the striking sex is the female, as, following the usual rule in insects in general, females tend to be larger than males :D

You are absolutely right. I will correct my post!
To beetle or not to beetle.