News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Naturalism - Naturally Adorkable

Started by bmathison1972, April 05, 2019, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Overview of most of a set of animals from China. When these figures first appeared on the forums, there was much confusion on where they came from. Some speculated they were custom figures, others thought they were from the My Favorite Animals resin line. Finally it was deduced on STS forum these figures were released under the series Naturally Adorkable in conjunction with a Chinese magazine called Natural History. At first I thought the name was a misspelling of 'Naturally Adorable', but it turns out 'adorkable' is a word, with a somewhat similar meaning: unfashionable or socially awkward in a way regarded as appealing or cute.

All figures represent Himalayan/southeast Asian species (except a sloth). There are nine figures in the set, six shown below and three I did not buy (red panda, Asian black bear, and a sloth of some kind).

The figures are all about the same size, on average 5.0 cm across their longest points. So, larger than a gashapon-style figure, but slightly smaller than some standard-sized figures. They are all a single-piece resin.

On to the pics:

1. Chinese pangolin, Manis pentidactyla.
This figure was designed to hang from something.

2. Sunda slow loris, Nycticebus coucang

3. Himalayan marmot, Marmota himalayana.
This figure comes with a base (not shown here) that it sits loosely on.

4. Tibetan sand fox, Vulpes ferrilata.

5. Pallas cat, Otocolobus manul.

6. long-eared hedgehog, Hemiechinus auritus.

This is a good chance to get some rare/unique/odd species. They are available on eBay at varying prices (If you want some, I suggest getting them from these guys, they are relatively inexpensive and have good customer service: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Animal-Bear-Raccoon-Figurine-Figure-Model-Doll-Series-Decoration-Toy/253888236109?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Db776397992c442739f5f660d2a0bdfe2%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D253888236109%26itm%3D253888236109&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A6c58dfd7-57ed-11e9-af32-74dbd180cb79%7Cparentrq%3Aef7f339e1690aa47ad1445f0fffb81b2%7Ciid%3A1).

Isidro

So you finally put your hands at this increasingly famous set of unique and very well done animals :-) I bought just the Tibetan fox, as it's the most dreamed species of the set for me and also the only one that is not too big (well probably the sloth and red panda also are acceptable size, but not so exciting for me). I knew that you would skip the red panda (done by many other brands) and Asian black bear (that is minuscule, and for which you already have the Safari LTD model), but I tought that you would get the sloth. I don't know where, maybe somewhere in STS, but I've seen it identified to species level, and I think I remember is a brown-throated sloth (Bradypus variegatus)

bmathison1972

Yeah I have the Papo B. variegatus already :).

sbell

Those are actually kind of interesting. No animals I need in particular, but interesting.

Fembrogon

Those are definitely cute toys; the pangolin and loris in particular are tempting me.

Gwangi

I like that loris better than the upcoming Schleich one. The marmot, sand fox, and pallas cat are all quite good too.

endogenylove

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find the loris or especially to find the Manul. I recently recieved the marmot, pangolin, and hedgehog from an amazon link, and I can find those same ones on ebay (and the sloth and fox) but the manul still eludes me. I've found two websites with it in stock, but one does not take paypal (which I have to use for personal reasons) and the other charges a very heavy shipping fee...I may end up going with the second at some point anyway because it is a must-have. I'm constantly on the fence about the loris, the schleich and the eikoh are both nice. I'm not sure about the species and if I need this one as a unique species?
Always looking for new species...

bmathison1972

Quote from: endogenylove on October 13, 2021, 07:19:20 PM
Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find the loris or especially to find the Manul. I recently recieved the marmot, pangolin, and hedgehog from an amazon link, and I can find those same ones on ebay (and the sloth and fox) but the manul still eludes me. I've found two websites with it in stock, but one does not take paypal (which I have to use for personal reasons) and the other charges a very heavy shipping fee...I may end up going with the second at some point anyway because it is a must-have. I'm constantly on the fence about the loris, the schleich and the eikoh are both nice. I'm not sure about the species and if I need this one as a unique species?

@endogenylove - None of the loris figures were marketed at the species level. I have this Natural History one to represent the Sunda slow loris and the Eikoh one as a pygmy slow loris (since it's smaller). I am not getting the Schleich one.