News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Favorite Animals

Started by bmathison1972, February 05, 2019, 11:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

My Favorite Animals is a Japanese-based company/artist that produces realistic resin figures. They have been popping up on the Japanese auctions lately, and I know Brett has been getting requests, so it is a matter of time before they start showing up on our forums.

I started with three crustaceans, two of which are new species for me. They are incredible, and the three I picked are all a good size (length or base width are roughly 7.0-7.5 cm).

I started with:

box crab, Calappa hepatica - new species for me!
slipper lobster, Scyllarus cultrifer - new genus and species for me!
peacock mantis shrimp, Odontodactylus scyllarus - not new but it will replace the Paleo-Creatures figure for my synoptic display collection!

If any of you get figures from this artist/manufacturer, please post them here as well!

Beetle guy

@bmathison1972  Very nice figurines indeed!
I saw a very nice fire salamander, different frogs, a beetle and really good mantis. But the prices in the auctions went way to high for me. Great addition Blaine!!

From what I read was they were made by a "master" figurine maker as prototypes, these might be unique specimens you have here!!

Thanks for posting!
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on February 06, 2019, 08:45:52 AM
@bmathison1972  Very nice figurines indeed!
I saw a very nice fire salamander, different frogs, a beetle and really good mantis. But the prices in the auctions went way to high for me. Great addition Blaine!!

From what I read was they were made by a "master" figurine maker as prototypes, these might be unique specimens you have here!!

Thanks for posting!

I had bid on a Homoderus mellyi, but lost the bid.

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2019, 11:40:44 AM
@bmathison1972

Hehe I bid on it too! But some people went grazy in bidding  :o :o ;D The Fire salamander went for 45 dollar if I recall correct.
Man, the box crab and Mantis shrimp really are awesome!!!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on February 06, 2019, 05:41:26 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2019, 11:40:44 AM
@bmathison1972

Hehe I bid on it too! But some people went grazy in bidding  :o :o ;D The Fire salamander went for 45 dollar if I recall correct.
Man, the box crab and Mantis shrimp really are awesome!!!

Yeah I bid too early, I was curious if you were one that out-bid me ;-)

Beetle guy

And one of the very beautiful anurans made by 'My Favorite Animal'.

The green-and-black poison arrow frog: Dendrobates auratus.

sbell

There are some magnificent fish in that series, they just end up priced way out of my range! :'(

Isidro

Indeed! Just yesterday I discovered the Favorite Missisippi paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), by the way is the best paddlefish figure that I'm aware of and I want it!!! But I want to know it's size and its usual price before trying to get my hands on it :D

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on February 24, 2019, 06:52:27 AM
Indeed! Just yesterday I discovered the Favorite Missisippi paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), by the way is the best paddlefish figure that I'm aware of and I want it!!! But I want to know it's size and its usual price before trying to get my hands on it :D

Please note, 'Favorite' and 'My Favorite Animals' are not the same brands.

EDIT: the more I think about it, I don't think Favorite did a paddlefish in their fish line, so maybe you are thinking of the same company?!?!?

@sbell can you shed some light? :)

Isidro

Yes, I was talking about My Favorite Animals paddlefish. I was unaware of another brand called just "Favorite" so I just abbreviated the title as we were in the thread of My Favorite Animals brand so it's deductable :D

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 24, 2019, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: Isidro on February 24, 2019, 06:52:27 AM

Please note, 'Favorite' and 'My Favorite Animals' are not the same brands.

EDIT: the more I think about it, I don't think Favorite did a paddlefish in their fish line, so maybe you are thinking of the same company?!?!?

@sbell can you shed some light? :)

So far, no, Favorite has not included a paddlefish in their Ancient Fishes line...really, there are almost none (one from my line for the store, Diramix, a weird Tchibo squeezy toy...that's about it).

I am really hoping to avoid the My Favorite train, because once you get on there, you might never get off!

Does anyone have a link to the site? I know I've been there by I can't find it now...

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on February 24, 2019, 10:07:29 PM
Yes, I was talking about My Favorite Animals paddlefish. I was unaware of another brand called just "Favorite" so I just abbreviated the title as we were in the thread of My Favorite Animals brand so it's deductable :D

Thanks for the clarification. Favorite LTD (or 'Favorite' as it is often abbreviated) is a company that specializes in primarily dinosaurs and other extinct animals. However, they have an 'Ancient Fishes' line, which is why a paddlefish seamed plausible by them :).

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 24, 2019, 10:39:14 PM
Quote from: Isidro on February 24, 2019, 10:07:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Favorite LTD (or 'Favorite' as it is often abbreviated) is a company that specializes in primarily dinosaurs and other extinct animals. However, they have an 'Ancient Fishes' line, which is why a paddlefish seamed plausible by them :).

Hopefully they will do one eventually. Especially a Chinese paddlefish... although that might be in the extinct animals line...

Isidro

The "My favorite animals" paddlefish that I was talking about can be seen here:
http://animals-haiby.sakura.ne.jp/sub7.html

Like all other models of this page, it's absolutely perfect. But I don't have an idea about the measurement and usual price. I think that the latter will be too much for me...

sbell

Quote from: Isidro on February 25, 2019, 09:07:32 PM
The "My favorite animals" paddlefish that I was talking about can be seen here:
http://animals-haiby.sakura.ne.jp/sub7.html

Like all other models of this page, it's absolutely perfect. But I don't have an idea about the measurement and usual price. I think that the latter will be too much for me...

I'm working on getting that one now... I also love the tigerfish and payara, but there are limits!

Beetle guy

@Isidro thanks for sharing the website!

Isidro

You welcome!

So, @sbell also don't have idea about the size and usual price of this paddlefish, right?

stemturtle

My Favorite Animals has produced several dozen kinds of turtles. Here are 4 examples.

Common snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina
Ornate box turtle (female), Terrapene ornata

Blanding's turtle, Emydoidea blandingii
Wood turtle, Glyptemys insculpta

More photos are posted on the Turtles thread.

sbell

Quote from: Isidro on February 27, 2019, 02:38:09 PM
You welcome!

So, @sbell also don't have idea about the size and usual price of this paddlefish, right?
@Isidro I have one now!
But I can't get a photo on here...

Anyway, it is a straight 14cm long, but along the curve probably 15-16cm

bmathison1972

orchid mantid, Hymenopus coronatus (Olivier, 1792), by My Favorite Animals. This figure represents an adult female, and to my knowledge the first figure representing an adult (others represent subadult nymphs).