Author Topic: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection  (Read 10332 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:39:32 AM »
So, I have decided to build a synoptic collection of non-arthropod animals. I have actually been considering this for a few years now but I finally broke down and decided to do it. Why? Because I feel we are in a new Golden Age of animal replicas and toys, where the quality and species diversity is getting better again! Seeing amazing figures released every year that are not insects can only tempt me for so long :).

This will be a synoptic collection, which means ONE of a given species (exceptions could include things like distinct subspecies, sexual dimorphism, adult and young, etc.), and preferably a good example of each!

I have decided to tackle a different broad category each month. I won't get EVERY figure of that group each month, but at least a good sampling for starters and I can slowly fill them in over time. I have decided to start with cats, since I am a cat person LOL (even though I have not had one for a while for various reasons). Anyway, a random number generator will determine the next category from a pre-compiled list. I might pick up other things as I go as they become available or as I find them (for example, at a museum or zoo gift shop).

This will also give me the chance to do walkarounds of some non-insect figures as well!

But for starters, the January 2019 post will be cats (Carnivora: Felidae) [these should have been posted in January, but there were some shipping delays and then I was traveling for work].

Subfamily Machairodontinae (saber-toothed cats).

One figure, †Smilodon populator by Papo (2010)

Subfamily Pantherinae (big cats).

1. Lion and lioness, Panthera leo, both by Papo (lion, 2014; lioness, 2013)
2. Tiger, Panthera tigris by Papo (2016)
It's hard to go wrong with Papo big cats, although Safari LTD has been improving in this area lately (see the jaguar and clouded leopard, below).

1. Amur leopard, Panthera pardalis orientalis by CollectA (2015)
No African leopard yet; I decided to wait for the 2019 CollectA figure.
2. snow leopard, Panthera uncia by Papo (2014)
The snow leopard seems to be hit-and-miss with regards to its paint job. Mine is not as good as the first release but it's better than some others I have seen posted on the forms.
3. jaguar, Panthera onca by Safari LTD (2015)
4. clouded leopard, Neofelis nebulosa by Safari LTD (2019)

Small cats, subfamily Felinae

1. cheetah, Acinonyx jubatus by Papo (2018)
2. mountain lion (puma, cougar), Puma concolor by Safari LTD (2007)
When I was a general collector years ago, I had an original release of the mountain lion and the paint job was better, but this isn't bad.
3. ocelot, Leopardus pardalis by Papo (2017)
4. serval, Leptailurus serval by Safari LTD (2019)
Deciding on a serval was a tough choice between this one and the recent one by Kaiyodo. I finally decided on Safari because it is a single-piece figure and I can support a US-based company.
5. Iriomote cat, Prionailurus bengalensis euptilura (syn. P. b. iriomotensis) by Kaiyodo (2002)
All of the Iriomote cat figures are by Japanese companies; I am happy the Natural Monuments of Japan figure was available.
6. domestic cat, Felis catus by Kaiyodo (2003)
For the domestic cat I wanted to go with Kaiyodo; the facial expressions on most of the 'western' companies' figures are usually too cute or anthropomorphized for my tastes.

1. Canadian lynx, Lynx canadensis by Safari LTD (2016)
2. bobcat, Lynx rufus by Safari LTD (2010)
Not crazy about the paint job on its face, but it's not awful.
3. Eurasian lynx, Lynx lynx by Papo (2018)
4. Iberian lynx, Lynx pardinus by Mojo Fun (2012)
Not the best paint job, but I think this is the only figure (?) specifically marketed as this species.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:51:06 PM by bmathison1972 »

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
 :o  :o Great for the diversity of animal groups over here!!
Last years our input of insects figurines on the forum pushed it to natural proportions, insect being the bulk! O:-)
To beetle or not to beetle.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »
Quote: "This will be a synoptic collection, which means ONE of a given species..."

A synoptic collection is a celebration of the beauty of nature.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
Quote: "This will be a synoptic collection, which means ONE of a given species..."

A synoptic collection is a celebration of the beauty of nature.

Exactly! You and I share a similar philosophy.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 03:13:39 AM »
Alrighty, after some shipping delays (and some negligence on my part...) I can finally do the next group, Perissodactyla!

Family Equidae (horses, zebras, asses).

Wild equines and their domestic descendants:
1. Przewalski's horse, Equus ferus przewalskii (Safari LTD, 2018)
2. domestic horse (thoroughbred), Equus ferus caballus (Mojo Fun, 2018)
OK, so I have often scoffed at the number of toy horses made, but when I first saw this figure, I knew if I ever collected a toy horse, it would be this one. To me, this is the quintessential horse! Also, I think it was sculpted by forum member, Ana (correct me if I am wrong).
3. Africa wild ass, Equus africanus africanus (CollectA, 2014)
4. domestic donkey, Equus africanus asinus (CollectA, 2007)
5. domestic mule, Equus africanus asinus x Equus ferus caballus, hybrid (Safari LTD, 2008)

The zebras:
1. Grevy's zebra, Equus grevyi (CollectA, 2016)
2. †quagga, Equus quagga quagga (Mojo Fun, 2013)
3. Plains zebra, Equus quagga burchellii (CollectA, 2018)

Family Tapiridae (tapirs)
1. Brazilian tapir, Tapirus terrestris (Mojo Fun, 2013)
2. Baird's tapir, Tapirus bairdii (CollectA, 2013)

No Malayan tapir figures were readily available (at least in this size range); maybe a major company will make one soon.

Families Rhinocerotidae (rhinos) and Brontotheriidae.

Extinct Perissodactyla:
1. woolly rhinoceros, †Coelodonta antiquitatus (Safari LTD, 2019)
2. †Megacerops coloradensis (Safari LTD, 2018)

Extant rhinoceroses:
1. Indian rhinoceros, Rhinoceros unicornis (Safari LTD, 2010)
This was a tough choice between this one and the one by Schleich. I found them so similar that I decided to go ahead and support Safari LTD!
2. Sumatran rhinoceros, Dicerorhinus sumatrensis (Safari LTD, 2018)
3. white rhinoceros, Ceratotherium simum (Safari LTD, 2010)
I was trying to decide whether to get this one or wait for the CollectA 2019 version. I just really like the Safari white rhino! Maybe I'll replace it once I see the CollectA one, but I doubt it.
4. black rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis (Safari LTD, 2014)
This was another tough call, this one or Papo. After doing research, the Safari one just 'felt' better to me.

Expect a couple more updates in upcoming weeks!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »
Today we look at the family Canidae (dogs). I was hoping to do bears at the same time, but I am waiting on a shipment to complete the bears.

Note: depth of field might affect how the sizes compare.

First up, wolves and their descendants:

1. Arctic wolf, Canis lupus arctos (Safari LTD, 2007)
2. northwestern wolf, Canis lupus occidentalis (Safari LTD, 2007)
I am glad I took Roger's advice on Safari's wolves! I should probably get one by a European manufacturer that more-likely represents the type subspecies.
3. domestic dog (Labrador retriever), Canis lupus familiaris (Papo, 2013)
There is no shortage of domestic dogs to choose from. I am not a 'dog lover' but to me the lab is the quintessential domestic dog.
4. dingo, Canis lupus dingo (Safari LTD, 2017)
It was a tough choice between this figure and the one by Southland Replicas. I went with the Safari Figure because I thought it looked better, especially in the face, but feared it might be too big. I was happy when I got it that it was not as big as I had anticipated. I think I made the right decision for my collection!

Remaining canids:

1. coyote, Canis latrans (Safari LTD, 2010)
2. black-backed jackal, Canis mesomelas (CollectA, 2014)
3. maned wolf, Chrysocyon brachyurus (CollectA, 2013)
4. African wild dog, Lycaon pictus (Safari LTD, 2004)
One of the older figures of this species readily available, but still one of the best!
5. raccoon dog, Nyctereutes procyonoides (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales - Tokyo)
All figures of this species are either by Play Visions or from Japan. As such, they are going to scale on the small side (luckily, it's not a large dog species).
6. Arctic fox, Vulpes lagopus (Papo, 2016)
7. red fox, Vulpes vulpes (Papo, 2013)
It was really hard to chose between this figure and Safari's. After some back-and-forth, the Papo figure just felt right.
8. fennec fox, Vulpes zerda (Papo, 2017)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:29:31 PM by bmathison1972 »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 12:45:04 AM »
Looks like I could have waited a day to do bears :).

Note: depth of field might affect how the sizes compare.

Family Ursidae (bears)

1. giant panda, Ailuropoda melanoleuca (Safari LTD, 2014)
A marked improvement over their original sculpt.
2. sun bear, Helarctos malayanus (Mojo Fun, 2014)
3. sloth bear, Melursus ursinus (Schleich, 2017)
4. American black bear, Ursus americanus (Safari LTD, 2017)
5. North American brown (grizzly) bear, Ursus arctos (Papo, 2013)
It was a tough choice between this and the standing Safari figure.
6. polar bear, Ursus maritimus (Papo, 2013)
It was a tough choice between this one and the standing model.
7. Asian black (moon) bear, Ursus thibetanus (Safari LTD, 2017)
I almost passed on this figure, because I was under the impression the paint job wasn't good. However, online image searches shows that in a walking pose, the white can appear to go onto the legs (although maybe not to this degree)! Several figures of this species were made by Japanese companies, but they are going to be much smaller than standard bear figures.

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:04:56 AM »
I like the sloth bear expression and the red fox! Indeed, both the brands fennec foxes are good.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:08:15 AM by Beetle guy »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 10:01:18 PM »
Taking a break from mammals and looking at some reptiles. I have slowly been adding reptiles for a few months, and I have many more to go, but here are a bunch for starters.

For larger species I am going with some of the traditional western brands, but for most of these I am going with Japanese/gashapon/tube/TOOB style figures, so many of these are smaller. So, do not expect any AAA figures from cast specimens or, for example, Safari Incredible Creatures or similar size.

Order Rynchocephalia (tuatara)

tuatara, Sphenodon punctatus (Kaiyodo - Dinotales)

Order Crocodilia (alligators, crododiles, gharials, caimans)

1. Nile crocodile, Crocodylus niloticus (Schleich, 2015)
I studied several reviews on the ATF before deciding on a crocodile. There seemed to be some issues with all of them, whether it was the shape of the snout, presence and arrangement of neck osteoderms, or what teeth were exposed when the mouth was closed. The Schleich figure seemed to be the best of what was reviewed. Mojo Fun is releasing one this year but from what I can tell it won't necessarily be better.
2. American alligator, Alligator mississippiensis (Safari LTD, re-release of 1997 sculpt)
If there is one figure Safari should get right, it is the American alligator. Others reviewed on the ATF didn't seem quite as good. Papo is releasing one this year; I might replace with that one if it proves to be more accuarate.
3. black caiman, Melanosuchus niger (Safari LTD, 2019)
Safari did not market this figure at the genus or species level, but color suggests M. niger.
4. spectacled caiman, Caiman crocodilus (Kaiyodo - Wild Rush II, 2018)
I must admit, this figure turned out to be smaller than I would have liked. Being a gashapon figure, I knew it would be small but for some reason I thought it might be comparable to the Safari caiman. That's OK, a lovely model regardless!
5. gharial, Gavialis gangeticus (Papo, 2013)

Order Testudines (turtles and tortoises)

Family Testudinae (tortoises)

1. Galapagos tortoise, Chelonoidis nigra-complex (Papo, 2014)
2. desert tortoise, Gopherus morafkai (Safari LTD)
This figure is a bit big, but I think it is a unique figure.
3. Indian star tortoise, Geochelone elegans (Yujin)

Families Dermochelyidae and Cheloniidae (sea turtles)
1. leatherback sea turtle, Dermochelys coriacea (Papo, 2014)
2. olive ridley sea turtle, Lepidochelys olivacea (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.)
3. hawksbill sea turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata (Yujin)
4. green sea turtle, Chelonia midas (Koro Koro - Toba Aquarium)
The Takara figure was available, but I like the look of this figure on its sandy diorama-style base (by the way, she is laying eggs and there is a batch of eggs underneath when you lift up the figure!).
5. loggerhead sea turtle, Caretta caretta (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.)

Families Emydidae (terrapins and pond sliders) and Geoemydidae (pond turtles).

1. red-eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales)
2. Chinese box turtle, Cuora flavomarginata (Kaiyodo - Natural Monuments of Japan, 2002)
3. Ryuku black-breasted leaf turtle, Geoemyda japonica (Kaiyodo - Natural Monuments of Japan, 2003)
4. spiny turtle, Heosemys spinosa (Yujin)
5. Japanese pond turtle, Mauremys japonica (Yujin)
6. yellow pond turtle, Mauremys mutica (Yujin)
7. Chinese pond turtle, Mauremys reevesii (Kitan Club - Nature Techni Colour)

Families Chelidae (side-necked turtles), Platysternidae (big-headed turtles), and Chelydridae (snapping turtles)
1. alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys temminckii (Agatsuma Entertainment - Amazing Creatures)
2. Reimann's snake-necked turtle, Chelodina reimanni (Furuta - Choco Egg Funny Animals Series 2)
3. mata mata, Chelus fimbriata (Yujin)
4. Hilaire's side-necked turtle, Phrynops hilarii (Yujin)
5. big-headed turtle, Platysternon megacephalum (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 11)

Order Squamata (lizards and snakes)

Families Varanidae (monitors) and Helodermatidae (beaded lizards)
1. Komodo dragon, Varanus komodoensis (Mojo Fun, 2014)
Lots of options for this species, but I think the Mojo figure is the best for this general size range. The Kaiyodo Reptiles Lounge figure might be a little better (I haven't seen it in person) but it's a bit small for this species.
2. perentie, Varanus giganteus (Southland Replicas, 2018)
3. Gila Monster, Heloderma suspectum (Epoch - The Poison)

Family Agamidae (Old World iguanaform lizards)
1. frilled lizard, Chlamydosaurus kingii (Kaiyodo - Reptiles Lounge)
2. Okinawa tree lizard, Diploderma (syn. Japalura) polygonatum (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Yaeyama)
3. thorny devil, Moloch horridus (Kaiyodo - Reptiles Lounge)
4. central bearded dragon, Pogona vitticeps (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales - Pet Animal Series 4)

Families Iguanidae (iguanas), Dactyloidae (anoles), Chamaeleonidae (chamaeleons)
1. marine iguana, Amblrhynchus cristatus (Colorata - Reptile Figure Box, 2008)
The Kaiyodo Reptiles Lounge figure might be a little better (I haven't seen it in person), but I love the base here with the Sally lightfoot crab!
2. Galapagos land iguana, Conolophus subcristatus (Kaiyodo - Reptiles Lounge)
The figure is a little small but probably the only representative of this species currently available
3. Carolina anole, Anolis carolinensis (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 5)
4. veiled chamaeleon, Chamaeleo calyptratus (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales - Pet Animal Series 5)

Family Lacertidae (true lizards)
1. Japanese grass lizard, Takydromus tachydromoides (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Lizard and Gecko Collection)
2. emerald grass lizard, Takydromus smargdinus (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Lizard and Gecko Collection)

Families Gekkonidae (true geckos) and Eublepharidae (ground geckos)
1. Japanese cave gecko, Gonirosuarus orientalis (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 8 )
2. crested gecko, Correlophus ciliatus (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Crested Gecko Collection)
3. four-clawed gecko, Gehyra mutilata (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Crested Gecko Collection)
4. Japanese house gecko, Gekko japonicus (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Lizard and Gecko Collection)
5. smooth knob-tailed gecko, Nephurus levis (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Gecko Figure Collection III)
6. Madagascar giant day gecko, Phelsuma grandis (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Gecko Figure Collection III)
7. Satanic leaf-tailed gecko, Uroplatus phantasticus (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Leopard Geckos)
8. Tawa gecko, Gekko tawaensis (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales - Shikoku)

Family Boidae (boas)
1. green Anaconda, Eunectes murinus (CollectA, 2014)
2. red-tailed boa, Boa constrictor constrictor (Colorata - Reptile Figure Box, 2004)
3. emerald tree boa, Corallus caninus (Safari LTD - Rainforest TOOB, 2006)
The white on this figure is not right, but the sculpt is nice for such a small figure!

Family Elapidae (venomous snakes)
1. black-banded sea krait, Lauticauda semifasciata (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 4)
2. king cobra, Ophiophagus hannah (Mojo Fun, 2018)
3. eastarn coral snake, Micurus fulvius (Kaiyodo - Toxic and Dangerous Animals, 2014)
I plan on getting the 2019 Mojo Fun figure since it represents a different species, the Arizona coral snake (Micruroides euryxanthus).
4. red-bellied black snake, Pseudechis prophyriacus (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)
5. eastern brown snake, Pseudonaja textilis (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)

Families Colubridae (true snakes), Viperidae (vipers and rattlesnakes), and Leptotyphlopidae (blind snakes).
These three familes are not necessarily related, just combined for imaging purposes.

1. western diamondback rattlesnake, Crotalus atrox (Papo, 2018)
2. western blind snake, Rena humilis (Wing Mau)
I am not overly crazy about Wing Mau's reptiles, but I haven't seen another example of this unusual species!
3. Japanese striped snake, Elaphe quadrivirgata (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 3)
4. Oriental odd-tooth snake, Lycodon orientalis (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 6)

All of them together on the shelf (sorry for quality):

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:45:57 PM by bmathison1972 »

Isidro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 07:00:30 AM »
Amazing reptile group, and a nice and refreshing change from your big mammals :-)
The land iguana pop up sometimes on eBay at relatively reasonable price, maybe I will get my hands on it some day. The Yujin star tortoise, Yujin matamata and Colorata boa constrictor are maybe the ones thay I maaaaybe include some day in my collection. Most of the other figures are just too big for me, and the few ones that are adequate in size are just not exciting species for me. I saw the sea krait for sale at eBay at very cheap price, but I didn't bought it because is a figure to be assembled and the juncture is too much noticeable.

I also tought in Black Caiman for the new Safari figure since the moment they released the promo photo. Your coincident ID make me feel more sure about it. It's completely accurate in sculpt as for representing this species and not a generic caiman? If it is, probably I will end buying it - I like this species and it's the only crocodilian genus that I never saw in any zoo.

P. S. the Green Turtle figure comes with an extra species, two sea acorns of the species Chelonibia testudinaria :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:02:18 AM by Isidro »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
P. S. the Green Turtle figure comes with an extra species, two sea acorns of the species Chelonibia testudinaria :D

Ah, you have discovered my true motivation for collecting these  ;D

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
Nice added collection Blaine!!

Sorry to say, but you are confusing Takydromus tachydromoides (in your photo) for the Japanese skink, Plestiodon japonicus from the same lizard and gecko set!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
Nice added collection Blaine!!

Sorry to say, but you are confusing Takydromus tachydromoides (in your photo) for the Japanese skink, Plestiodon japonicus from the same lizard and gecko set!

Thanks Marcel, you know it's funny I was looking at the figures and was surprised the sculpts for what I was calling a skink and the green grass lizard were so similar. Ikimon usually pays much more attention to detail. This figure was sold on eBay the adult of the skink (hence, no blue tail) and I will admit I am not enough of a herpatologist to have caught the mistake. I will make the changes now, thanks!

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the gecko pic by the way!
I was wondering how big the Capsule Q gecko's were compared to the Ikimon ones.... I am tempted they look really nice!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the gecko pic by the way!
I was wondering how big the Capsule Q gecko's were compared to the Ikimon ones.... I am tempted they look really nice!

I was blown away by the Capsule Q geckos!!! Still need to get one of the leopard geckos, but holding out for a wild-type color form.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 11:43:27 PM »
I have to update the Perissodactyla post (above) with the addition of the Malayan tapir, Tapirus indicus by Papo (2010). When @Roger noticed I couldn't find this figure, he found one locally and bought and mailed it to me FREE OF CHARGE! Thanks a million, Roger!

I am showing it with the others so you can appreciate the comparable sizes and scales.

Isidro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »
Now you have the Baird's tapir model that I also have plus the models of the other two species that I have in my wishlist. But with a big difference: you have great and very kind friends here!! :D :D

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 01:08:08 AM »
Time for my next major focus area, marine Osteichthyes. I had decided to break the fish into three groups: 1) Chondrichthyes, Agnatha, and some extinct taxa, 2) Marine Osteichthys, and 3) Freshwater Osteichthys. This will focus on #2.

Like with reptiles, there is still probably a lot to collect. I started here with some complete sets by Yujin and Colorata, and then filled in some random other figures. There are still a lot of species available in toy/figure form, and I will slowly add to this (especially the deep sea fish). Also, like with the reptiles, the majority of these will be smaller figures (gashapon/tube/TOOB, etc.) since in nature most are smaller.

My intention was to have one image per order, but as I did it I realized I have 24 orders!!! So, this will be a very image-heavy post!

Class Actinopterygii, Order Anguiliformes (true eels).

1. spotted garden eel, Heteroconger hassi (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
2. pelican eel, Eurypharynx pelecanoides (Colorata - Deep Sea Fish, 2015)
3. green moray, Gymnothorax funebris (Safari LTD, 2010)
When I ordered this on eBay, the seller was using stock footage of the older, bendable, version of this figure. I was very happy to have received the static 2010 version that doesn't bend!
4. spotted moray, Gymnothorax isingteena (syn. G. melnospilus) (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
5. Kidako moray, Gymnothorax kidako (Kaiyodo - Enoshima Aquarium)
6. ribbon eel, Rhinomuraena quaesitap (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)

Order Clupeiformes (anchovies and herring).

Just one for starters, Japanese pilchard, Sardinops sagax melanostictus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)

Order Argentiformes (barreleyes and slickheads).

Just one for starters, barreleye, Macropinna microstoma (Colorata - Deep Sea Fish, 2015)

Order Stomiiformes (marine hatchetfishes)

One for starters, Sloan's viperfish, Chauloidus sloani (Colorata - Deep Sea Fish, 2015).

Order Aulopiformes (lancetfishes)

1. longnose lancetfish, Alepisaurus ferox (Kaiyodo - Aquarium Figure Collection - Deep Sea Creatures, 2017)
2. tribute spiderfish, Bathypterois guentheri (Colorata - Deep Sea Fish, 2015)

Order Lampriformes (oarfish and ribbonfish).

One for starters, the slender oarfish, Regalecus russelii (Colorata - Deep Sea Fish, 2015).

Order Beryciformes (pineconefish and fangtooths).

One for starters, the pineconefish, Cheidopus gloriamaris (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1).

Order Gobiiformes (gobies).

1. fire goby, Nemateleotris magnifica (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
2. yellownose prawn goby, Stonogobiops xanthorhinica (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2019)
I have displayed this figure also for the symbiotic shrimp, Alpheus randalli.

Order Sygnathiformes (sea dragons, seahorses, flying gurnards).

Only one for now (but there are certainly others to acquire), the crowned seashore, Hippocampus coronatus (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1).

Order Scombriformes (tuna and mackerel)

1. Atlantic bluefin tuna, Thunnus thynnus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)
2. skipjack tuna, Katsuwonus pelamis (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)
3. chub mackerel, Scomber japonicus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)

Order Istiophoriformes (marlins and swordfish).

Just one for now, the striped marlin, Kajikia audax (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015).

Order Carangiformes (jack mackerels).

1. Japanese horse mackerel, Trachurus japonicus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)
2. mahi mahi, Coryphaena hippurus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)

Order Pleuronectiformes (flatfishes).

One for starters, olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)

Order Beloniformes (flyingfish, sauries, and ricefishes).

1. Japanese flyingfish, Cheilopogon (=Cypselurus) agoo agoo (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015).
2. Pacific saury, Cololabis saira (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)

Subseries Ovalentaria, incertae sedis.
These fish have been historically placed in Perciformes (below) but are not currently assigned to an order. Included here are the families Pomacentridae (angelfish, clownfishes) and Grammatidae (grammas).

1. royal gramma, Gramma loreta (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
2. Clark's anemonefish, Amphiprion clarkii (Kaiyodo - Enoshima Aquarium)
3. clown anemonefish, Amphiprion ocellaris (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
4. blue devil, Chrysiptera cyanea (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
5. whitetail dascyllus, Dascyllus auanus (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)

Order Labriformes (wrasses).
Sometimes included in Perciformes (below).

One for starters, the humphead wrasse, Cheilinus undulatus (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015).

Order Chaedontiformes (butterflyfish).

1. saddle butterflyfish, Chaetodon ephippium (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
2. Hong Kong butterflyfish, Chaetodon wiebeli (Aquameridian LTD - Part 1, 2013)
3. yellow longnose butterflyfish, Forcipiger flavissimus (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)

Order Acanthuriformes (Moorish idol, louvars, tangs)

1. Moorish idol, Zanclus cornutus (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
2. blue tang, Peracanthurus hepatus (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
3. yellow tang, Zabrasoma flavescens (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)

Order Spariformes (sea breams).

One for starters, red sea bream, Pagrus major (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015).

Order Lophiformes (anglerfish).

1. warty frogfish, Antennarius maculatus (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales: Amazing Animals, 2003)
Note: this figure comes with a small 'prey' fish that is not photographed here.
2. sargassum frogfish, Histrio histrio (Kaiyodo - Kurioso Komekko Series 2)
3. Atlantic footballfish, Himantolophus groenlandicus (Colorata - Deep Sea Fish, 2015)

Order Tetraodontiformes (pufferfish, porcupinefish, boxfish, triggerfish)

1. clown triggerfish, Balistoides conspicillum (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
2. long-spine porcupinefish, Diodon holocanthus (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
3. ocean sunfish, Mola mola (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)
4. longhorn cowfish, Lactoria cornuta (Kaiyodo - Enoshima Aquarium)
5. yellow boxfish, Ostracoin cubicus (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish)
6. Valentin's sharpnose puffer, Canthigaster valentini (Kaiyodo - Shinagawa Aquarium)
7. tiger puffer, Takifugu rubripes (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish)

Order Perciformes (perch, darters, groupers, angelfish, others).
The figures shown here are probably paraphyletic based on the ordinal system I am using in this post.

1. Bering wolffish, Anarhichas orientalis (Kaiyodo)
2. emperor angelfish, Pomacanthus imperator (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
3. yellowband angelfish, Pomacanthus maculosus (Kaiyodo - Shinagawa Aquarium)
4. Chinese bahaba, Bahaba taipingensis (Aquameridian LTD - Part 1, 2013)
5. coral hind, Cephalopholis miniata (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)

Order Scorpaeniformes (stonefish, scorpionfish, lionfish)
Usually placed nowadays in Perciformes (above).

1. zebra lionfish, Dendrochirus zebra (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
2. luna lionfish, Pterois lunulata (Yujin - Seawater Fish Pictorial Book 1)
3. Japanese scorpionfish, Rhinopias argoliba (Kaiyodo - Enoshima Aquarium)
4. sea ruffe, Sebasticus marmoratus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)
5. reef stonefish, Synanceia verrucosa (Colorata - Coral Reef Fish, 2015)
6. spiny red gurnard, Chelidonichthys spinosus (Colorata - Salt Water Fish, 2015)

Class Sarcopterygii, Order Coelacanthiformes (coelocanths)

1. West Indian ocean coelacanth, Latimeria chalumnae (Colorata - Fossil Fishes, 2015)
2. †Axelrodichthys araripensis (Kaiyodo - Dinotales Series 1)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:27:32 AM by bmathison1972 »

Isidro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
(I would like to put here the clapping emoji that is in STS, but in this forum is missing).

Wonderful additions as always and many dreamed species and figures. You're making your collection grow at a hundreds times more quickly than mine! One must be really rich for allow that level of increase! :D

Anguilliformes:
-So you have one of those figures that are on a blue bottle cap! I've seen them sometimes. How much measure this cap in diameter? For planning my future purchases...
-The spotted moray comes with a bonus: cleaner wrasse Labroides dimidiatus :D
-Ribbon eel: What a casuality, a species that I was wondering about make with WePam just yesterday! I didn't knew that somebody did it first :D Not sure if it's better to buy this figure or make one myself. Do you know the measurements of this figure?

Clupeiformes:
-The 2019 Safari Pelagic fish TOOB also have a school of sardines :)

Argentiniformes:
-I discovered the barreleye figurine just yesterday. I suppose it's too bif for me, it is?

Aulopiformes:
That wonderful lancetfish is a wished figure for me! How much it measures? Do you know places to get it online as cheap as possible?

Lampriformes:
I just rejected this oarfish figure because it must be assembled (just the tail), and the partition is clearly visible in the figure. Plus I'm waiting for the other oarfish species :D

Perciformes II:
The bluefin tuna and the mackerel are interesting to me! I didn't knew these figures before. Do you know the measurements please?

Perciformes III:
Same than for the Scombridae. I want this marlin!!!!!! But first I need to know how much it measures :D

Tetraodontiformes:
-I have in my wishlist the Safari sunfish. Much less nicely painted, but I assume it will be cheaper. Very interested in the clown triggerfish and longhorn clownfish, how much they measure please?

Perciformes X:
-What is the size of the coral grouper please?

Scorpaeniformes:
-What is the size of the luna lionfish and the red gurnard, please?

Many thanks!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »
@Isidro lots of questions, it will take time to answer them all, but I will try to do it before the end of the week.

No, not rich, but when you get older and live a financially-responsible life, you have some 'play funds'. I live cheaper than most Americans: I don't drive; I don't buy movies, music, or video games; and I only buy new clothes when mine are falling apart LOL. Luckily as a microbiologist I don't have to wear nice clothes to work  ;D ;D ;D So, I can put money to toy animals and visiting baseball stadiums (my other hobby)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:15:47 PM by bmathison1972 »