News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Crustacea: Decapoda (crabs, shrimps, lobsters, crayfish)

Started by brontodocus, January 11, 2013, 08:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures Blue Crab, Callinectes sapidus Rathbun, 1896. Width of carapace is 108 mm, scale approx. 1:1.6 - 1:2.1.
Here is the link to the figure at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-blue-crab

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Great figure. I remember some figures AAA   ^-^. I like the details of this figure and the color have been good aplicated  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) And in contrast to the AAA crabs (at least those I know) this one was sculpted rather than being cast from a dried specimen. At least a U.S. sculptor would have no problems getting a real specimen as a guideline, Callinectes sapidus is very popular as food and easily available. ;D

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 11, 2013, 11:38:19 PM
Thanks, Jetoar! :) And in contrast to the AAA crabs (at least those I know) this one was sculpted rather than being cast from a dried specimen. At least a U.S. sculptor would have no problems getting a real specimen as a guideline, Callinectes sapidus is very popular as food and easily available. ;D

A good star for the sculptor  of this figure  ^-^.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures Red Rock Crab or Sally Lightfoot Crab, Grapsus grapsus (Linnaeus, 1758). Width of carapace is 67 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.2.
Here is the link to the figure at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-galapagos-sally-lightfoot-crab

AnimalToyForum

Great walk-around as usual  8) Matches the reviews and walk-arounds banner ;) Thanks!

Ana

What a colorful and impressive creature :) I like it! Thank You for review! :)

Ana

Jetoar

I saw this figure in a shop but I didnt buy this figure....... I  was a foolish  :-\. I hope that see this figure again to buy  ^-^.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the big AAA Dungeness Crab, Metacarcinus magister (Dana, 1852), cast from an actual specimen. Carapace length 103 mm, width 177 mm. It's stamped simply "CRAB" underneath but it clearly is a Dungeness Crab.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Varanus

That one's great!  Got me thinking though, casting these complex inverts must been a huge pain! :o

Jetoar

Wonderful reply and post  ^-^. I think that you pust this figure into the water, is very possible that the people will think that he is a real animal  ^-^.

Varanus

Another one I've always meant to get.  Great figure and review! :)

tyrantqueen

This is gorgeous, the details are very precise :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

dinocat62

Just got one of these from Veghead along with a smaller one, perhaps Ovalipes trimaculatus, a Rowing Crab? Plus a Dangle Fish.

brontodocus

Hmmm I'm not aware of an AAA Crab that looks like Ovalipes... well, there are so many AAA figures I've probably never seen, anyway, so it could be well possible. I do know about a mini version of the Dungeness Crab, several versions of the Crucifix Crab, Charybdis feriatus, and at least one figure that matches Scylla serrata in the number of anterolateral and interocular spines on the carapace. And you can't go wrong with the Dangle Fish, it's such a weird one! :)

dinocat62

Yes, after further research, I realize it's not an Ovalipes crab. Looks like a Blue Crab or something similar. It has long lateral spines and compressed 5th pair of legs.

brontodocus

The compressed 5th pair of legs doesn't help too much here, it's a key character for Portunidae and most species within the family have this flattened last pereopod. Strong lateral spines like in the Blue Crab seems a good character to identify it further than that, I can imagine Callinectes and Portunus. You could post a photo in the species identification thread. I think the chances for identifying your crab are quite good (the entire anterior margin of the carapace should be in focus to allow counting anteriolateral denticles)! :)

dinocat62

Photo posted on Species ID thread. I look forward to your comments. Thanks!

brontodocus

Another walk-around of a Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures crustacean, here is the Hermit Crab, apparently a terrestrial Coenobita sp. It's quite large, the snail shell is 85 mm long (technically that would be the shell's height, from the outer lip to the apex). Depending on which Coenobita species is represented the scale would be up to approx. 1:1. The figure is sculpted without any antennae and I thought about adding some myself later on. Here is a link to the IC Hermit Crab at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-hermit-crab