News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Beetles - Coca Cola Premiums (unknown manufacturer)

Started by bmathison1972, January 05, 2019, 02:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I am posting today some beetles by an unknown, presumably Japanese, manufacturer that were released as premiums in conjunction with Coca Cola. Three mysteries remain: 1) who made them, 2) what year were they released, and 3) how many were there. At the time of this initial writing, I have five. I was hoping posting them would spark recognition by someone.

The figures are small, typical TOOB/tube/gashapon sized. To put things in perspective, the diameter of the base is 3.5 cm. The beetles are single-piece, good quality plastic that can easily removed from the base. The base has the Japanese name on one side and the Coca Cola logo on the other. They are pretty nice in terms of quality and accuracy.

I am pretty sure Kaiyodo did not make them, as they usually mark the base if not the figure itself (but I could be wrong). Takara Tomy and Bandai are possibilities. Any help in identifying the manufacturer would be most appreciated!

The lineup (as of now):

1. Prosopocoilus inclinatus

2. Dorcus hopei binodulosus

3. Dorcus rectus

4. Lucanus maculifemoratus

5. Allomyrina dichotoma

stargatedalek

I don't recall if the Kaiyodo Coca Cola tie-ins had the manufacturer printed on them. I have one of the JP ones so I'll check and get back to you. They would still be my first guess solely because the two companies have worked together before.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 05, 2019, 02:43:55 PM
I don't recall if the Kaiyodo Coca Cola tie-ins had the manufacturer printed on them. I have one of the JP ones so I'll check and get back to you. They would still be my first guess solely because the two companies have worked together before.

Thank you. Kaiyodo would be my first guess, and it makes good sense. A lot of Kaiyodo's earlier releases were associated with food products of some sort. I just think all my Kaiyodo figures are stamped 'KAIYODO' somewhere. My best friend's girlfriend works for Coca Cola, I may pass the link to her LOL.

stargatedalek

The JP3 Coca Cola figures all have the usual Universal Studios and Kaiyodo information on them. Sorry that didn't help narrow things down any.

Beetle guy

I know you are only missing a Dorcus palawanicus in this series.
When I see it I will lett you know. I will look for a package in my collection administration C:-)
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 05, 2019, 07:48:51 PM
I know you are only missing a Dorcus palawanicus in this series.
When I see it I will lett you know. I will look for a package in my collection administration C:-)

thank you sir

Beetle guy

Here is the package (from the internet). and the set from an add on Mecari. I can't find the manufacturer but I think Bandai or Takara.
81cU7uioAJL._SL1500_.jpg  m19605464749_2.jpg

bmathison1972

Mercari did not give a brand? The lettering looks like Bandai (or Sega!).

Beetle guy

nope in all the adds I saw only Coca Cola is mentioned.