News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Insects (AAA)

Started by bmathison1972, January 01, 2019, 03:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Review of a set of insects by AAA. I am surprised I have not reviewed this set previously! I am not sure all the ways AAA markets their figures, and some of these may be available individually, but I bought mine as a bagged set.

There are 10 figures, medium in size (I will put individual measurements below with each image). They are all stamped with the AAA logo and a common English name (one of which is incorrect, they are discussed individually below). Scientific names below are of my assigning.

AAA is popular with collectors so I thought I would highlight this set! Enjoy. In no particular order:

1. Longhorned beetle, Cerambyx cerdo. If you accept my Latin name here, it would be a unique species. Length = 6.8 cm (not including appendages)

2. Ladybug. Length = 5.0 cm

3. Weevil. This figure is incorrectly marked on the underside as a 'dung beetle'. Length = 6.5 cm (including snout)

4. Hercules beetle, Dynastes hercules. This species is commonly made but this might be the only female! It is the only one I am familiar with. On the underside it is stamped 'rhinoceros beetle]. Length = 5.0 cm

5. Rhinoceros beetle, Xylotrupes gideon. On the bottom stamped 'two horned beetle'. Length = 6.5 cm (including horns)

6. Stage beetle. This is probably modeled after something specific, but I do not know what. Length = 8.0 cm (including mandibles)

7. Grasshopper. Length = 8.0 cm (not including legs)

8. Green darner, Anax junius. Simply marked 'dragonfly'. Length = 6.3 cm; wingspan = 9.3 cm

9. Emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator. Length = 10.0 cm (including claws, to the point at which the tail curls upwards)

10. Cicada. Length = 6.2 cm (including wings)

stargatedalek

I bought my scorpions alongside a mantis, I wonder if they only sold that individually or if there's another set of insects.

I believe the scorpion is a cast and the mantis could be edited from a cast, do any of these others give that impression?

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 01, 2019, 06:29:30 PM
I bought my scorpions alongside a mantis, I wonder if they only sold that individually or if there's another set of insects.

I believe the scorpion is a cast and the mantis could be edited from a cast, do any of these others give that impression?

there are other insects; on STS someone also has posted a bumblebee and the mantis.

The grasshopper and stag beetle come across as casts to me. They have 'that look' that the reptiles do, if you know what I mean.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 01, 2019, 06:33:15 PM

there are other insects; on STS someone also has posted a bumblebee and the mantis.

The grasshopper and stag beetle come across as casts to me. They have 'that look' that the reptiles do, if you know what I mean.
I do indeed. It's hard to say sometimes though since AAA has a few sculpts that are almost certainly partially cast and partially sculpted (like the giant mantis shrimp).

There is also a larger scorpion (unsure how much larger) that also seems to be a cast of again an emperor scorpion.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 01, 2019, 07:14:49 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 01, 2019, 06:33:15 PM

I do indeed. It's hard to say sometimes though since AAA has a few sculpts that are almost certainly partially cast and partially sculpted (like the giant mantis shrimp).

There is also a larger scorpion (unsure how much larger) that also seems to be a cast of again an emperor scorpion.

Did you see my comment on Andre's review of the giant mantis shrimp? As Squilla empusa(rather than Oratosquilla oratoria), it would be life-sized and may be cast (entirely?)!

Isidro

That cicada with the reversed wings is a punch in the stomach for my sight! I'm not confident on the ID of the female Hercules beetle - the colour looks like more a female Megasoma elephas. I just love the relatively accurate Cerambyx cerdo (perfect in shape and colour, just lacking anatomical detail), being one of the most charismatic insects associated with my earlier learning as amateur naturalist.

Beetle guy

DeAgostini has a female D. hercules.  8)
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 01, 2019, 10:23:44 PM
DeAgostini has a female D. hercules.  8)

I thought so, as a secret, but couldn't remember.

Beetle guy

I will do a recapture of the whole DeAgostini series soon.
To beetle or not to beetle.