News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Beetle Battle, Series 1 and 2 (Epoch)

Started by bmathison1972, December 27, 2018, 12:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Reviews of the complete sets Beetle Battle by Epoch. Both sets were originally released in 2005. These were always sets I said I would get if the opportunity came up, but I never aggressively pursued them. Now that I have them they are nicer than I thought. Both sets have 6 figures.

Minimal assembly is required, and the come with a base and an elevated peg on which to display them. The two sets have different colored bases and pegs. The concept is they can be 'locked in battle'; the bases even loosely connect to one another. They are small, similar in size to early Kaiyodo or Furuta figures, or standard TOOB/tube-sized figures. Some of the species are common, and one (as far as I know) is unique.

Thanks to @Beetle guy for selling them to me  ^-^

Set 1:

Dynastes hercules vs. Dynastes neptunus.

Cyclommatus metallifer vs. Prosopocoilus inclinatus.
Cyclommatus species don't get a lot of attention so good to see one here!

Allomyrina dichotoma vs. Lucanus maculifemoratus.

Set 2:

Odontolabis lacordairei vs. Hexarthrius parryi.
The O. lacordairei is, to my knowledge, a unique figure.

Allotopus rosenbergi vs. Megasoma elephas.

Augosoma centaurus vs. Chalcosoma moellennkanmpi.
A. centaurus doesn't get a lot of attention, so nice to see it here!

Beetle guy

The first set was sold with the gray trunks. Later they sold them with sand coloured (two beetles per blister package).
The ones with the grey stands (that you have now ;-)) have better colours than the ones they released later.

10043709a.jpg  10043709a2.jpg
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Oh I see they sold them as fighting pairs, LOL. I just randomly paired them for the images.

The image you showed there, those must be from a later set? I don't remember (and I am at work now so I cannot check) but I think the accompanying papers did not have Latin names?!?

I really like these sets!!!!! Even without the bases, the beetles themselves are very nice!

Beetle guy

Yes they are! I like that they fit with the style of the Epoch flying ones also.
To beetle or not to beetle.