News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Ancient Arachnids: Horseshow Crabs

Started by bmathison1972, February 06, 2019, 01:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Walkaround of the Japanese horseshoe crab, Tachypleus tridentatus (Leach, 1819), by For Corporation - Another Aquarium, released in 2018. A little background on this figure. This figure was originally sculpted for the Season 2 line by Aquameridian and intended to be released in 2013. When sales for the first series were not as good as expected, Aquameridian canceled Season 2. Eventually, Aquameridian folded entirely (at least, their website has been down for a while). For Corporation bought the rights to several figures from both Season 1 and Season 2 and released them under the line, Another Aquarium. The accompanying paper for this figure, includes the original credits to Aquameridian and acknowledges the original sculptor.

The figure is a single-piece plastic, measuring 7.0 cm in length, making it roughly 1:10 for a maximum-sized specimen. Like all Aquameridian figures, it is intended to be attached to a plastic water stream, which in turn is attached to a trophy-like base with a placard with the Japanese and Latin names of the animal. The figure has two pegs to attach to the water stream, so it probably does not display well as a stand-alone figure. Also, like all figures, the water stream has an LED light in the base so it lights up when you flip a switch on the bottom (see last image below).

The figure is fairly comparable to the Kaiyodo Natural Monuments of Japan figure (see 4th image, below), which it will replace for my Synoptic Display collection. The Kaiyodo figure has slightly more detail, but I love the dynamic display of the Aquameridian model.

Beetle guy

Thanks for the walkaround! I have it, I agree the Kaiyodo one is more detailed and I think it is better, but less dynamic indeed.
To beetle or not to beetle.