News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Pigs on Parade

Started by OkapiBoy, December 19, 2012, 07:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

I also prefair the CollectA one, that is better done... if only it was much smaller! A 8 cm babirusa figurine with the quality of the CollectA one would be inmediately in my wishlist for buying, hehe

AnimalToyForum

I notice the tusks curve over so much that they penetrate into its own head. I know this happens occasionally in Babirusa, but is that what's meant to be happening in this figure? Or is it just the paint glooping (I apparently made up a word)?

Isidro

Neither. It's just for more easy fabrication/production/extraction from the mold. CollectA one is more accurate partly because upper tusks don't reach the head surface, just reach very close.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Isidro on May 29, 2018, 07:53:38 PM
Neither. It's just for more easy fabrication/production/extraction from the mold. CollectA one is more accurate partly because upper tusks don't reach the head surface, just reach very close.

Ah, so it is intentional. Thanks. :)

doug watson

Quote from: Isidro on May 29, 2018, 07:53:38 PM

Just saw this and I am surprised you can read my mind, what am I thinking now? Sorry that's sarcasm.

The tusks can often reach the surface of the head and in some cases penetrate the skull, mine is meant to just reach the top of the head the tips have not been painted very well on this example, they continue to curve under. The reason I did it this way was that is the way the tusks on the actual animal I used as reference for the head grew. For my mould the dam would have been the same but I would have had to vent the tips top the head but it wasn't the main concern as I said the living animals tusks actually touched the skin on one side and the other was just slightly above the skin. I made them symmetrical. It wasn't mandated by the company for ease of moulding even though it made it slightly easier. The simple reason I chose an animal for reference that had tusks that touched is I was always fascinated by the way they would grow like that

So I also contest your assertion that CollectA's is more accurate, just do a little searching and you will find examples where the tusks touch and even penetrate the skin.