Author Topic: Pompano (unknown manufacturer)  (Read 410 times)

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
  • Animal: Frilled lizard
Pompano (unknown manufacturer)
« on: September 20, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »
Reposted here with permission from @stargatedalek

This small pompano is marketed [on aliexpress - Ed.] as fake food, but given the variety of fish available at pretty good prices for their size I had to give it a shot. In a lot of ways it more than exceeds my expectations, the detail is better than the pictures show (I think itís almost certainly cast from a real fish), unfortunately it seems to be very fragile. Iím not about to cut it open and find out but I think it might literally be a sponge coated in plastic, as opposed to plastic stuffed with sponge, sounds like a subtle difference on paper but itís drastic in practice.

Overall I guess itís a failed experiment, but Iím glad I took the risk and found out (also glad I ordered just one as a test). If I ever want any large fish for a diorama or display these are definitely going to be put into consideration, but as figures they are just to fragile. The material reminds me of "stress-ball" animals that are often given out with promotional logos on them.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:23:08 PM by animaltoyforum »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pompano (unknown manufacturer)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 04:32:08 AM »
Nice! These are the kinds of walkarounds I love the best! More please  8)

Newt

• View Profile
Re: Pompano (unknown manufacturer)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
Ooh, that could be good for the sort of display you see at some aquaria, with schools of fish suspended on wires. I bet the material is a self-skinning foam - I've seen them offered by casting suppliers and the products seem similar to the description of this fish.