News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Pompano (unknown manufacturer)

Started by AnimalToyForum, September 20, 2018, 02:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Reposted here with permission from @stargatedalek

This small pompano is marketed [on aliexpress - Ed.] as fake food, but given the variety of fish available at pretty good prices for their size I had to give it a shot. In a lot of ways it more than exceeds my expectations, the detail is better than the pictures show (I think it's almost certainly cast from a real fish), unfortunately it seems to be very fragile. I'm not about to cut it open and find out but I think it might literally be a sponge coated in plastic, as opposed to plastic stuffed with sponge, sounds like a subtle difference on paper but it's drastic in practice.

Overall I guess it's a failed experiment, but I'm glad I took the risk and found out (also glad I ordered just one as a test). If I ever want any large fish for a diorama or display these are definitely going to be put into consideration, but as figures they are just to fragile. The material reminds me of "stress-ball" animals that are often given out with promotional logos on them.

bmathison1972

Nice! These are the kinds of walkarounds I love the best! More please  8)

Newt

Ooh, that could be good for the sort of display you see at some aquaria, with schools of fish suspended on wires. I bet the material is a self-skinning foam - I've seen them offered by casting suppliers and the products seem similar to the description of this fish.