Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Rhino Beetle (unknown manufacturer)  (Read 157 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rhino Beetle (unknown manufacturer)
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:09:06 PM »
Walkaround of a rhinoceros beetle, Dynastinae, gen. sp. by an unknown manufacturer, which may be a Toy Major knock-off.

This is one of the medium-sized lines of insects released in the 1990s and beyond, larger versions of some of the tube-sized figures by TM. The figure is too generic to be assigned to a given species. It measures 62 mm in length and is a solid-piece plastic

Here with small TM figures (and their knock-off counterparts):

So, the main reason I wanted to show this figure is because it, or a similarly-sculpted figure, is on display as an educational piece at the Missouri Botanical Gardens:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:38:20 AM by bmathison1972 »

Beetle guy

• View Profile
Re: Rhino Beetle (Toy Major)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »
The black one with the very punctured pronotum really looks like a major male of Sinodendron cylindricum   ??? But I can hardly believe they would make this species!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:23:59 AM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »
The black one with the very punctured pronotum really looks like a major male of Sinodendron cylindricum   ??? But I can't hardly believe they would make this species!

I see what you mean but the similarities must be coincidental and superficial. I think my figure just has a jacked up cephalic horn...

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
The black one with the very punctured pronotum really looks like a major male of Sinodendron cylindricum   ??? But I can't hardly believe they would make this species!

I see what you mean but the similarities must be coincidental and superficial. I think my figure just has a jacked up cephalic horn...
I have this one and one I believe to be the one on that log, the horn is definitely meant to look like it does.

I must check that I still have them around, I had thought they were generic bin figures.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »

I have this one and one I believe to be the one on that log, the horn is definitely meant to look like it does.

I must check that I still have them around, I had thought they were generic bin figures.

I thought these were TM but was surprised not to see the logo on the bottom. Maybe I have a second TM version and I grabbed the wrong one, or maybe I was under the assumption it was TM because the small dark ones definitely are TM and TM makes these in different size ranges. I dunno. But the moral of this story was this figure, or some version of it, is being used for educational purposes by the Missouri Botanical Gardens.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rhino Beetle (unknown manufacturer)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:39:17 AM »
I checked my database and have this as an unknown manufacturer, so I edited the first post accordingly. Interesting, I must have had a TM version also but no longer?!? Or maybe it's packed away and I missed it?!? Oh well, thanks all!