News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Discovery Science Sharks Isle of Jaws sharks set!

Started by sbell, September 02, 2018, 04:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

I already put these on Twitter, but wanted them here as well.

Walmart USA sold two sets of sharks from Discovery Science as part of their 30th Anniversary. I think the set names are based on shows, but I have no idea.

Again, thanks to @Halichoeres for getting these for me!

Again, each set is a box of 10 figures. There are species pictured and named on the back. The figures aren't marked...and the pictures/animal names don't always match well or at all with the figures in the set. So sometimes I had to take wild stabs at the species of the model...

This one is called Isle of Jaws. No idea what it's about, but probably something to do with Great White Sharks, since there are two in the set. Maybe something about a place with a bunch of white sharks in the area. And some deep sea sharks? No idea.

(note: again, except for a few format alterations, I'm just kind of posting my mini reviews of each with the photos)

Of course, it starts with a BIG Great White Shark Carcharodon
Unique species as a figure? No. Not even within the box
Correct photo on the box? Yup
Represents species well? Sure.
Display worthy? Nope

And a second Great white shark! Smaller this time
Unique species as a figure? No
Correct photo on the box? Only one white shark photo is present...but I think it's a safe bet
Represents species well? Sure.
Display worthy? Nope

Now a gem! A pyjama shark Poroderma! Now that's more like it!
Unique species as a figure? Absolutely!
Correct photo on the box? Yes. Would be sad if they missed this one (see "Alien Sharks" Leopard shark)
Represents species well? Not bad
Display worthy? Heck yeah

Next a Carpet shark. Shaped like Brachaelurus Blind shark but body colour is off.
Unique species as a figure? Maybe? Tough to ID to species...or genus
Correct photo on the box? Sort of? Definitely a carpet shark. But kind of crosses between wobbegongs and blind shark
Represents species well? Maybe. Kinda
Display worthy? Maybe

Another real gem! The Angular Rough shark Oxynotus
Unique species as a figure? Definitely. The only one I know
Correct photo on the box? Certainly
Represents species well? Absolutely
Display worthy? Absolutely

This one hurt. Box says Sevengill shark. It is not (it has 5 gills). It's kind of Glyphis-like so I'll go with that. It could be some other carcharhinid but not sure what.
Unique species as a figure? As Glyphis? Yes, other than the one in the Alien sharks set
Correct photo on the box? Pfft.
Represents species well? Ummm...
Display worthy? Sure, if it represents a Glyphis.

A tiny Short-fin mako Isurus. Kind of. It's pretty generic Also, the only photo possibility on the box
Unique species as a figure? No
Correct photo on the box? If you squint
Represents species well? If you're generous
Display worthy? No

Another hammerhead shark. Same figure as the one in the Alien Sharks set. Not even worth a unique photo
Unique species as a figure? Nope
Correct photo on the box? Yup
Represents species well? Eh
Display worthy? No

Back to the awesome ones! A birdbeak dogfish Deania! Pelvic/anal fins are mixed up (one anal, no pelvic) but decent
Unique species as a figure? Yes
Correct photo on the box? Yes
Represents species well? So close...in profile
Display worthy? Yup

Last one! Deep sea lantern shark Etmopterus Another great shark to see made
Unique species as a figure? No (but effectively yes...)
Correct photo on the box? Yes
Represents species well? Not bad
Display worthy? Sure

Again, find them if you can, they're reasonably priced with some interesting species.

AnimalToyForum

Thanks for sharing, that's a good diverse little set of sharks.

Is it a coincidence that "Isle of Jaws" sounds phonetically like "I love jaws"?  ;D

And Twitter? Pah! Give it a few weeks and the photos there will be lost to the sands of time and seen by noone ever again. Social media is convenient but fleeting.

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on September 02, 2018, 09:43:35 AM
Thanks for sharing, that's a good diverse little set of sharks.

Is it a coincidence that "Isle of Jaws" sounds phonetically like "I love jaws"?  ;D

And Twitter? Pah! Give it a few weeks and the photos there will be lost to the sands of time and seen by noone ever again. Social media is convenient but fleeting.

There is that. But it does reach different people at least for a while. If only I'd formatted correctly...oh well.

And I have never said the set name out loud. It feels more likely that it's a coincidence because Discovery hasn't been clever for a very long time.

bmathison1972

Thanks for another review! These are the kinds of reviews I'd like to see more of on the ATF!

bmathison1972

I just bought this on eBay. Mine has the same make-up but is called Return to Isle of Jaws and has a date of 2019, so it must be a re-release (the figures are marked with 2018 however)

Gwangi

I saw these at Wal-mart and came very close to buying them, but ultimately I didn't. I was too put off by their quality, or lack of it rather. I have regrets though, some of these species are likely to never be made again.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 05, 2021, 10:05:46 PM
I saw these at Wal-mart and came very close to buying them, but ultimately I didn't. I was too put off by their quality, or lack of it rather. I have regrets though, some of these species are likely to never be made again.

I bought it for the pyjama, lantern, angular rough, and birdbeak dogfish; the others are going into the charity bin

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 05, 2021, 10:19:17 PM

I bought it for the pyjama, lantern, angular rough, and birdbeak dogfish; the others are going into the charity bin

Those are the highlights for sure.

There is also an Alien Sharks set.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Discovery-Shark-Week-Alien-Shark-Set-10-Sharks-Great-White-Action-Figures-Seal/233822807816?hash=item3670ece708:g:r94AAOSwZ5Vf2Ryk

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 05, 2021, 11:43:28 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Discovery-Shark-Week-Alien-Shark-Set-10-Sharks-Great-White-Action-Figures-Seal/233822807816?hash=item3670ece708:g:r94AAOSwZ5Vf2Ryk

I saw that but nothing worth buying the set for (some of the more interesting species, I already have other specimens of)

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2021, 12:15:35 PM

I saw that but nothing worth buying the set for (some of the more interesting species, I already have other specimens of)

I think we all got this set for the same figures! They're fine. Would still like to see one of the major companies make them.

PortJackson

Quote from: sbell on February 06, 2021, 08:34:56 PM

I think we all got this set for the same figures! They're fine. Would still like to see one of the major companies make them.

Still waiting on these major companies to make a saw shark, haven't seen any replicas longer than my thumb  :'(

sbell

Quote from: PortJackson on February 06, 2021, 09:20:26 PM
Quote from: sbell on February 06, 2021, 08:34:56 PM

Still waiting on these major companies to make a saw shark, haven't seen any replicas longer than my thumb  :'(

There really are very few--K&M and Takara are the only ones I am certain of. The Takara being better of course.