News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Meerkats (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Wildlife)

Started by AnimalToyForum, July 03, 2018, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Walk-around of the 2012 meerkats pair by Safari Ltd (Wild Safari Wildlife). Not to be confused with the 2016 Meerkat in this line. The 2016 one replaced the 2012 one when the earlier one was retired. According to toyanimal.info this figure was sculpted by @doug watson

Those of you living in the UK will know that a certain recurring TV advert has destroyed the public perception of meerkats forever. Sigh. ::)

bmathison1972

Is this from Wild Safari Wildlife or Incredible Creatures? When I collected generally I had a set of 3 Safari meerkats that predated 2012. Or, were there three releases of this species in the WS line?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 03, 2018, 06:44:50 PM
Is this from Wild Safari Wildlife or Incredible Creatures? When I collected generally I had a set of 3 Safari meerkats that predated 2012. Or, were there three releases of this species in the WS line?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the Wild Safari Wildlife version. The Incredible Creatures is similar in that it is an adult and a baby sculpted together, but in that toy both animals are facing forward and the adult is more hunched over. If one of our members has the Incredible Creatures version perhaps they can do a walk-around of it so we can compare and contrast?  ^-^

doug watson

Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 03, 2018, 06:51:58 PM

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the Wild Safari Wildlife version. The Incredible Creatures is similar in that it is an adult and a baby sculpted together, but in that toy both animals are facing forward and the adult is more hunched over. If one of our members has the Incredible Creatures version perhaps they can do a walk-around of it so we can compare and contrast?  ^-^

You are correct that is my retired 2012 Wild Safari Wildlife version. There was a larger Incredible Creatures version as you described that was sculpted by someone else. As you also mentioned this WSW version was replaced by my single Meerkat from 2016.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: doug watson on July 06, 2018, 03:28:40 PM

You are correct that is my retired 2012 Wild Safari Wildlife version. There was a larger Incredible Creatures version as you described that was sculpted by someone else. As you also mentioned this WSW version was replaced by my single Meerkat from 2016.

Thanks for the confirmation, Doug. Glad to know you sculpted the 'sequel', too. Do you have all the original sculptures of your animal toys, as you do for your dinosaurs?

doug watson

Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 06, 2018, 03:50:59 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, Doug. Glad to know you sculpted the 'sequel', too. Do you have all the original sculptures of your animal toys, as you do for your dinosaurs?

Yes I do have all my original sculptures and they take up a lot of shelf space since I have done way more contemporary wildlife than dinosaurs or prehistoric mammals but those are catching up since these days I do mostly prehistoric stuff.

sbell

Wasn't there also a much earlier (early 2000s?) meerkat that came in a bundle of 2 or something? It seems to keep getting done, we need some different mongoose figures!

doug watson

Quote from: sbell on July 06, 2018, 08:48:21 PM

Wasn't there also a much earlier (early 2000s?) meerkat that came in a bundle of 2 or something? It seems to keep getting done, we need some different mongoose figures!

When I did the Meerkat pair in 2012 there was already a set of three individual standing Meerkats in the WSW line that my pair was meant to replace and as mentioned before there was the Incredible Creatures larger pair. The set of three were all standing, one looking to the right, one straight ahead and one looking to the left. I think I have them somewhere and I believe they were similar in size to my replacement adult.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: doug watson on July 06, 2018, 07:28:11 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 06, 2018, 03:50:59 PM

Yes I do have all my original sculptures and they take up a lot of shelf space since I have done way more contemporary wildlife than dinosaurs or prehistoric mammals but those are catching up since these days I do mostly prehistoric stuff.

That's great that you still have them. Maybe one day you could share a photo of those shelves on the ATF? O:-)

doug watson

Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 06, 2018, 11:08:12 PM
That's great that you still have them. Maybe one day you could share a photo of those shelves on the ATF? O:-)

Maybe someday, I have been a little gun-shy since the whole Photobucket fiasco. I still haven't finished replacing all my collection shots on the DTF. :(

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: doug watson on July 08, 2018, 05:08:00 AM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 06, 2018, 11:08:12 PM

Maybe someday, I have been a little gun-shy since the whole Photobucket fiasco. I still haven't finished replacing all my collection shots on the DTF. :(

Yes, that's quite understandable. We've been discussing the extent of the problem and the possible solutions here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1716.msg19044#msg19044 I'd be happy to host your images on animaltoyforum.com if you want a free option that will last at least as long as the ATF itself? Email or pm me if you're interested.