Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Spiny Lobster (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)  (Read 635 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Spiny Lobster (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
Walk-around of the California spiny lobster, Panulirus interruptus (Randall, 1840) by Safari LTD, Incredible Creatures, new for 2018. The figure is not marketed at the species level, but given its morphology, color, and that it was originally hinted at being North American, P. interruptus is the most-likely candidate. Members of this genus are morphologically similar, and I am not enough of an expert on this group to say for sure, but if we call this P interruptus (which I think I will), this will be the sixth species in the genus in toy/figure form!

This is the seventh in a growing list of crustaceans (and similar aquatic arthropods) in the Safari Incredible Creatures line, following the Sally lightfoot crab (2006), terrestrial hermit crab (2006), American/Maine lobster (2007), horseshoe crab (2008), blue crab (2010), and shrimp (2015). My hopes is that one day Safari will make miniatures of some of these (with others) in a ‘Crabs, Shrimp, and Lobsters TOOB’.

The figure is impressive, measuring 16.5 cm in length (not including antennae nor legs), and putting it in the 1:1 range. Despite its size, it is not my largest spiny lobster (I have an even larger one by Nihon Auto Toys). The detail…WOW. Absolutely incredible. Any complaints about the inaccuracies of their last IC crustacean (the 2015 shrimp) are gone here. The entire figure, even the legs and antennae, are a strong, stiff plastic. This is an incredible figure of an impressive size and amazing detail! Also, like more of Safari’s recent releases, it has a duller matte finish rather than being mostly smooth and glossy.

Enough talking, let the images speak for themselves:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:34:50 PM by bmathison1972 »

stargatedalek

• View Profile
Re: Spiny Lobster (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:58:12 PM »
Exciting to finally see it up close, though admittedly a touch smaller (which is to say, "of a smaller species" ;)) than I'd expected. I guess I'm just used to seeing those giant Pacific spiny lobsters.

A crustacean toob would be absolutely wondrous, dare I wish they might flesh it out with a few tiny crustaceans more or less in scale with the larger counterparts. Always room for another fiddler crab!
Why I'm done with the ATF, at least for now:
https://www.facebook.com/michell.vall/posts/999800036850389

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:35:19 AM »
Exciting to finally see it up close, though admittedly a touch smaller (which is to say, "of a smaller species" ;)) than I'd expected. I guess I'm just used to seeing those giant Pacific spiny lobsters.

A crustacean toob would be absolutely wondrous, dare I wish they might flesh it out with a few tiny crustaceans more or less in scale with the larger counterparts. Always room for another fiddler crab!

It is a little smaller than I was expecting too. It was advertised at a full US foot length, but I didn't consider that length included the antennules as well. The total length of the figure, as currently posed, is about 1 foot (30 cm). I also meant to note I like that it is elevated on its legs and not all sprawled out.

dinocat62

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
Have you seen the AAA Spiny Lobster? Is it a different species?

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
The AAA spiny lobster is almost identical in size, about 16cm excluding antennae (31cm including).

The pattern of spines is very different, and the eyes are much larger proportionally. Since AAA figures are cast I think it's safe to say they represent different species. Most AAA casts are either of southeast Asian species (or relatively common as pets), so that would be the place to start looking for an ID.
Why I'm done with the ATF, at least for now:
https://www.facebook.com/michell.vall/posts/999800036850389

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »
The AAA spiny lobster is almost identical in size, about 16cm excluding antennae (31cm including).

The pattern of spines is very different, and the eyes are much larger proportionally. Since AAA figures are cast I think it's safe to say they represent different species. Most AAA casts are either of southeast Asian species (or relatively common as pets), so that would be the place to start looking for an ID.

I don't have the AAA spiny lobster yet (but will get it if I ever see it offered). Also, the AAA figure could have been cast from a less mature specimen. But Stars is right, it's probably something more readily available from Asia or the pet/food industries. My assumption the Safari figure is P. interruptus is based on image comparisons (but I still think it's a likely candidate)