Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Spiders (unknown manufacturer)  (Read 860 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Spiders (unknown manufacturer)
« on: January 20, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
In preparation for a comparison topic on small spider figures, I need to do a review of an interesting set of spiders of unknown origin. I have already reviewed the sets by K&M International (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1934.0) and Play Visions (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1935.0) and within the next couple weeks, I plan to do one for the Club Earth Spiders to Go. But for a comparison topic to be complete, we must also visit this intriguing set.

The set, assuming it is complete (my figures are labeled A-L), is clearly influenced by Club Earth and PV. The figures are actually nice, and made of a good quality PVC. They are labeled on the underside with a common name and a letter (A-L), but no company. There are several other sets like this floating around out there, in my collection I have sets of crabs and caterpillars, and I believe there are also tropical fish and birds. I bought my figures individually in large barrels at the gift shop of the Rain Forest Cafe in Tempe AZ, sometime between 2001 and 2005 I believe.

The following figures are listed in alphabetical order of the letter stamped on the bottom. The common name is what is printed on the bottom; the Latin names are of my assigning. I am also listing when these species are included in the aforementioned PV, CE, and K&M sets (only).

A. ‘black’ widow, Lactrodectes mactans
I put ‘black’ in quotation marks because technically this figure is labeled ‘red widow’, as they used the same sculpt as for H, below. They did however stamp it with the letter A rather than H (interesting they made the effort to change the letter but not the spider’s name).
This species shows up in all four sets.

B. crab spider, gen. sp.
I cannot attribute this figure to an exact species based on this color pattern. The Club Earth set did have two crab spiders (see also J, below) but neither were colored like this.

C. purseweb spider, Sphodros rufipes.
This species is also in the Club Earth set.

D. raft spider, Dolomedes plantarius
This species also shows up in the Club Earth set.

E. green lynx spider, Peucetia viridans
This species shows up in the Play Visions set.

F. spitting spider, Scytodes thoracica.
This species shows up in the Club Earth set.

G. Costa Rican zebra tarantula, Aphonopelma seemanni.
This species shows up in the Play Visions set.

H. red widow, Latrodectus bishop
This species shows up in the Club Earth Set.

I. tarantula, gen. sp.
This might represent the Mexican red-kneed tarantula, Brachypelma smithi, which is also in the Play Visions set.

J. crab spider, Thomisus onustus.
This species shows up in the Club Earth set, albeit as the more-familiar pink form (in nature, this species is highly variable, as are many crab spiders). The ‘J’ on the underside is juxtaposed, looking more like a soft ‘L’.

K. tarantula, gen. sp.
This figure is very similar to the generic tarantula in the Club Earth set. I do not have a definitive identification, but I am thinking it is an immature greenbottle blue tarantula, Chromopelma cyaneopubescens.

L. tarantula, gen. sp.
This generic ‘tarantula’ is not immediately attributable to any species, nor figures in the other sets. It is labeled 'tarantula' but is modeled after the CE 'wolf spider'; perhaps it is Lycosa tarantula?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:54:31 AM by bmathison1972 »

Beetle guy

• View Profile
Re: Spiders (unknown manufacturer)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
Although missing the white bands on the legs, B could be a male Eresus sandaliatus (family Eresidae). Or as the Dutch Vernaculair name goes 'Lentevuurspin" (Spring fire spider). The females of this species are a plain black colour,
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:00:38 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
Although missing the white bands on the legs, B could be a male Eresus sandaliatus (family Eresidae). Or as the Dutch Vernaculair name goes 'Lentevuurspin" (Spring fire spider). The females of this species are a plain black colour,

The color is similar but it's also got two extra black spots (Eresus spp. have four spots). Besides, it's specifically marked crab spider. It might have been influenced by Eresus from a painter who didn't know better.

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »

The color is similar but it's also got two extra black spots (Eresus spp. have four spots). Besides, it's specifically marked crab spider. It might have been influenced by Eresus from a painter who didn't know better.

Not all Eresus spp. have four spots, less common there are males with six spots. ;)

Website European Insect Survey.
http://www.eis-nederland.nl/beleid/aandachtsoorten/lentevuurspin

Wikipedia
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentevuurspin

And a Belgium forum
http://www.bidsprinkhanen.be/viewtopic.php?t=2361
To beetle or not to beetle.