This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Scorpion Anatomy Model (4D Master)  (Read 1819 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Scorpion Anatomy Model (4D Master)
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:59 AM »
Walk-around and review of the Scorpion Anatomy Model by 4D Master (2009). The model represents the emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1842). I have been eyeing this model for a while and finally decided to get it when I could get one on eBay from the US. There is a tarantula as well (not to mention several non-arthropods including a snail, mammals, reptiles, and possibly more) [I thought brontodocus had reviewed one of them but if so I cannot find it].

The model comes disassembled in 29 pieces. A few pieces are clear to view the interior anatomy. This is a very high-quality model, made of vary hard, high-quality plastic. It takes some strength to get some of the pieces in, but it a tight fit once secure. The pincers on the end of the pedipalps have a ball-and-socket connection and the claws themselves are articulated. The detail is superior and is probably the best emperor scorpion model/figure available (we'll see how it compares to the Kaiyodo Sofubi Toy Box model later this year). This was clearly designed to be used as a display model and teaching aid, at a level of quality to be used at the university level! The figure is also VERY big (I was astonished by the size of the box it was shipped in!); I did not measure it, but it appears to be about twice the size of the Safari Smithsonian figure, which would make it 4:1 for a large specimen.

The figure comes with a small base and a peg with which to attach it. It also comes with a booklet with information of scorpions (anatomy, biology, etc.) and assembly instructions.

After seeing the quality, I am tempted to invest in the tarantula next, but not sure if I have room right now for another of this size ;-)

On to the pics:

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
Re: Scorpion Anatomy Model (4D Master)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »
Wow!! That looks so much more detailed than the anatomymodel of A. Dichotoma I have from Famemaster.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
Oh, I was depating on whether or not to get the tarantula but I might have to get an A. dichotoma! And I see you changed your avatar?

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
Oh, I was depating on whether or not to get the tarantula but I might have to get an A. dichotoma! And I see you changed your avatar?

Yes I did  8) The A. Dichotama is nice, but again not as detailed. There is a D. hercules as well. I think Andre has it.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »

Yes I did  8) The A. Dichotama is nice, but again not as detailed. There is a D. hercules as well. I think Andre has it.

I thought Andre had reviewed one but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once he sees this thread he'll elaborate:)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
An impressive model, and so well detailed! :) Yes, I've had an eye on this model for some years, too, but it was always just too expensive including shipping...

I thought Andre had reviewed one but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once he sees this thread he'll elaborate:)

I had posted a few photos of it in the Coleoptera thread (they're not yet hosted on postimage so the links will not work anymore) but there wasn't a full walk-around. I think the photos I have left would probably not justify making a walk-around from them and the model itself has several repairs now... :-[ Quality wise I have to say that the Brachypelma smithi and the scorpion are more detailed than the (older) D. hercules. Sometimes I still regret not having bought the Helix pomatia, yet, that one seems to be an excellent model (and teaching resource), too!

Edit: Ah, Marcel, great new avatar! 8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:08:33 PM by brontodocus »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal