Author Topic: Prosopocoilus inclinatus (Sega Mushi King big beetles)  (Read 930 times)

Beetle guy

• View Profile
Prosopocoilus inclinatus (Sega Mushi King big beetles)
« on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
On this Sega figurine line(s)
The SEGA big beetles (note: not an official series name, just to label it) came in blisterpack (like this one) and some with a plastic strap holding a information card.
Many beetles were produced and sometimes with alternative or altered molds for particular species. The style of the series figurines differs so much that they can hardly be seen as a whole. Most of them were released from 2006 to 2009 and pretty hard to find. I do think to know all of them made by now. I did not keep/collect all, because some were a bit badly made to my opinion, focusing mainly on realistic figurines. The quality of the molds differs hugely in these big beetles. Some look less realistic and/or very bulky, others are just great and some can even compete with the DeAgostini beetles (64 models from real beetles, the best in beetle figurines there is) the SEGA DX_series and certianly some F-toy ones.

On the beetle
Prosopocoilus inclinatus (sawtooth stag beetle) is a beetle of the prosopocoilus family. It is a typical stag beetle that lives widely in Japan. It was named because of the large number of teeth in the inside of the males mandibles representing a saw. The body length is 24.2 mm - 77.0 mm for a male, and 19.5 - 41 mm for a female.

On the figurine
This model is one  of the finest in the series. I came across it on Global Rakuten once. I had never seen it before in an auction or for sale and have never seen one for sale since. It came in a blisterpackage with a Mushi King playing card. It has very realistic details and legs as well, not the bulky ones like some of the beetles in the DX-series (see my walkarounds on them). The legs are slightly bendable but not poseable. The mandibles are slightlys moveable. From the mandibles to the tip of the abdomen it measures: 71 mm, so scale 1:1 for a big male.

The pic's..
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:14:20 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Prosopocoilus inclinatus (Sega Mushi King big beetles)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:20:07 PM »
Nice. I have a few Sega 'big' non-DX figures but not this one. I do have a Subarudo one to represent a large figure. Oh, checking my inventory I do have 20 figures of this species LOL

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »
Nice. I have a few Sega 'big' non-DX figures but not this one. I do have a Subarudo one to represent a large figure. Oh, checking my inventory I do have 20 figures of this species LOL
If I were to hazard a guess I'd say that this species is what a lot of indeterminate figures are meant to represent (Safari Smithsonian to name a more obvious one).

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:50:35 PM »
If I were to hazard a guess I'd say that this species is what a lot of indeterminate figures are meant to represent (Safari Smithsonian to name a more obvious one).

I always had it in the back of my mind the Safari Smithsonian figure was a Prosopocoilus of some kind, not this particular species. I recently got the Stag Beetles of the World in PDF form by Beetle Guy and should see if I could find a good fit. Now, the K&M Wild Republic Polybag stag beetle is a pretty darn good representation of P. astacoides, which gives us collectors a unique species!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:37:47 AM »
I have snooped around some and the Safari Smithsonian stag beetle looks like a cross between an Odontolabis (pronotum) and Hexarthrius (mandibles)  C:-).

BUT, the two best options are Prosopocoilus confucius and P. giraffa daisukei

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:53:02 AM »
I have snooped around some and the Safari Smithsonian stag beetle looks like a cross between an Odontolabis (pronotum) and Hexarthrius (mandibles)  C:-).

BUT, the two best options are Prosopocoilus confucius and P. giraffa daisukei

I thought the P. confusius as well, though I only saw it on photo's while ago. F-toys made a nice P. confusius as well.
To beetle or not to beetle.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
I have always considered the Smithsonian Collection Stag Beetle to be a P. confucius, too. :)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:10:35 PM »
well, that settles it for me. If me, Marcel, and Andre agree it must be the best option. I'll change my records accordingly!

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
I'm not near as well versed in beetles as any of you, but that species definitely fits the scale of the line.