News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Scorpions - Don't get Stung!

Started by bmathison1972, December 23, 2017, 06:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Walk-around of the emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1843) by Veronese Design, 2011. I stumbled upon this sculpture (not a toy/figure) on eBay after Beetle Guy alerted me to something similar. I went to their website (http://www.veronesedesign.com/collection.htm) and I suggest others check it out for some really nice animal sculptures.

The sculpture has a base measuring 11 cm in diameter and it stands (at the top of the tail) roughly 12 cm tall. It is hard to measure, but it appears to be 1:1 for a large individual. It is made of cold cast resin. The scorpion and its base are separate objects, but the scorpion is permanently affixed to the base by means of sealed pegs of some sort. The detail in both the animal and its base are amazing. I am glad I invested in this one! More realistic than typical toy/figure versions of this species (although Kaiyodo is releasing one next year in their Sofubi Toy Box line).

On to the pics (I had to really play with the lighting in my apartment today to get the detail):

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Walk-around and review of the Scorpion Anatomy Model by 4D Master (2009). The model represents the emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1842). I have been eyeing this model for a while and finally decided to get it when I could get one on eBay from the US. There is a tarantula as well (not to mention several non-arthropods including a snail, mammals, reptiles, and possibly more) [I thought brontodocus had reviewed one of them but if so I cannot find it].

The model comes disassembled in 29 pieces. A few pieces are clear to view the interior anatomy. This is a very high-quality model, made of vary hard, high-quality plastic. It takes some strength to get some of the pieces in, but it a tight fit once secure. The pincers on the end of the pedipalps have a ball-and-socket connection and the claws themselves are articulated. The detail is superior and is probably the best emperor scorpion model/figure available (we'll see how it compares to the Kaiyodo Sofubi Toy Box model later this year). This was clearly designed to be used as a display model and teaching aid, at a level of quality to be used at the university level! The figure is also VERY big (I was astonished by the size of the box it was shipped in!); I did not measure it, but it appears to be about twice the size of the Safari Smithsonian figure, which would make it 4:1 for a large specimen.

The figure comes with a small base and a peg with which to attach it. It also comes with a booklet with information of scorpions (anatomy, biology, etc.) and assembly instructions.

After seeing the quality, I am tempted to invest in the tarantula next, but not sure if I have room right now for another of this size ;-)

On to the pics:

Beetle guy

Wow!! That looks so much more detailed than the anatomymodel of A. Dichotoma I have from Famemaster.

bmathison1972

Oh, I was depating on whether or not to get the tarantula but I might have to get an A. dichotoma! And I see you changed your avatar?

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 10, 2018, 12:00:05 PM
Oh, I was depating on whether or not to get the tarantula but I might have to get an A. dichotoma! And I see you changed your avatar?

Yes I did  8) The A. Dichotama is nice, but again not as detailed. There is a D. hercules as well. I think Andre has it.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 10, 2018, 12:23:40 PM

Yes I did  8) The A. Dichotama is nice, but again not as detailed. There is a D. hercules as well. I think Andre has it.

I thought Andre had reviewed one but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once he sees this thread he'll elaborate:)

brontodocus

An impressive model, and so well detailed! :) Yes, I've had an eye on this model for some years, too, but it was always just too expensive including shipping...
Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 10, 2018, 01:35:10 PM
Quote from: Beetle guy on January 10, 2018, 12:23:40 PM

I thought Andre had reviewed one but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once he sees this thread he'll elaborate:)

I had posted a few photos of it in the Coleoptera thread (they're not yet hosted on postimage so the links will not work anymore) but there wasn't a full walk-around. I think the photos I have left would probably not justify making a walk-around from them and the model itself has several repairs now... :-[ Quality wise I have to say that the Brachypelma smithi and the scorpion are more detailed than the (older) D. hercules. Sometimes I still regret not having bought the Helix pomatia, yet, that one seems to be an excellent model (and teaching resource), too!

Edit: Ah, Marcel, great new avatar! 8)

bmathison1972

Walk-around of the scorpion, gen. sp. by Safari LTD, Incredible Creatures, reissued for 2018. The scorpion was not marketed at the species level. While it was originally hinted at being African during the teaser Polaroid shots released by Safari late last year, I do not think it was intended to be an African species. More likely, it was modeled after North American species Hadrurus arizonensis Ewing, 1928 or Paravaejovis spinigerus (Wood, 1863) [or a related vaejovid].

This figure is simply a reissue of the Hidden Kingdom scorpion from 2000, but with an upgraded paint job. One thing that is odd, is that while the stamp on the bottom of the figure is not the same as the 2000 model, it still has '2000' stamped on the underside! Safari LTD must base copyright dates on when the initial sculpt was released.

I should also point out, the few remaining figures available from the Hidden Kingdom line have been merged with Incredible Creatures. This could be an advantage for someone like me; if Safari continues with taxonomic diversity in the IC line, this could mean more regular insects or arachnids (despite several crustaceans this is the first arachnid in the IC line, and there has been only one insect prior to the sinking of the Hidden Kingdom figures into it!).

The figure measures 17 cm (tail outstretched, but not including pedipalps), making it slightly over 1:1 for a very large specimen of H. arizonensis or roughly 2.5:1 for P. spinigerus. Like the original HK figure, the metasoma (tail) and pedipalps (pincers) are poseable.

In all honesty, unless you are a completist (with regards to taxon or company), there is probably no reason to get this if you have the 2000 release (unless you like the color better). I like it, but I am not excited for it.

On to the pics.

Out with the old, in with the new:

Scorpions are no stranger to Safari LTD over the years: Smithsonian Insects (1994), Hidden Kingdom (2000), Incredible Creatures (2018), Desert Creatures TOOB, Insects TOOB, Venomous Creatures TOOB, Authentics Insects, Cave Dwellers TOOB (2014), and Good Luck Mini (2017). The entire Safari scorpion family:

sphyrna18

Great review, Blaine! I was wondering if this is supposed to be Hadogenes troglodytes, since it was shown from Africa, and it seems to me that, although the tail is way too thick on the figure, the coloration seems very similar overall.  Actually, I think that some H. troglodytes even show the double lines along the length of the tail, don't they?  Either way, I think this is a step up paint-wise.  Thank you for the thorough review!

bmathison1972

I have noticed Chap Mei figures get a lot of attention on the Dino Toy Blog, but their extant critters do not seem to get as much representation. So, here is my sole figure by this company, an emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1842). Chap Mei figures seem to walk the fine line between relatively accurate animal figures and movie monsters; it does not help that they are often sold with military-style people armed to the teeth! This scorpion reflects the latter. It is sold as part of a boxed set called Giant Scorpion Playset that includes another giant scorpion in different colors and an armed soldier (even though it is sold under their Animal Planet brand).

The figure is large; it is hard to measure with a stiff upright metastoma (tail), but it is comparable with the Safari LTD Smithsonian figure (see last image) which was made in the 2:1 scale. As such, the Chap Mei figure could also be easily placed in the 2:1 range.

The colors are unnatural and gaudy, but if you do not take the colors into consideration, the morphology of this figure is actually pretty darn good! I have been told that the light blue paint glows under ultraviolet light but have not tried it out yet. There is a button on the back that when pushed makes the pedipalps (claws) move inwards and outwards.

If you are one who likes to repaint figures, this would make an excellent choice, as some natural coloring would actually make this a decent figure!

On to the pics:

With the Safari LTD Smithsonian figure:

Isidro

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 23, 2017, 06:30:54 PM
I went to their website (http://www.veronesedesign.com/collection.htm) and I suggest others check it out for some really nice animal sculptures.

The link goes to the Nudes category, for see animal sculptures you must click on the "Wildlife/pets" tab on the menu at the left. The animal sculptures are amazing, very realistic, museum-quality, tough it seems that the author is not very much knowlegdeable in animals, calling King penguin an Emperor penguin, Beaver to the Otters, Chameleon to the Green Iguana, and Leopard chair to their Cheetah chairs.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Isidro on June 05, 2018, 06:20:51 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 23, 2017, 06:30:54 PM
I went to their website (http://www.veronesedesign.com/collection.htm) and I suggest others check it out for some really nice animal sculptures.

The link goes to the Nudes category, for see animal sculptures you must click on the "Wildlife/pets" tab on the menu at the left. The animal sculptures are amazing, very realistic, museum-quality, tough it seems that the author is not very much knowlegdeable in animals, calling King penguin an Emperor penguin, Beaver to the Otters, Chameleon to the Green Iguana, and Leopard chair to their Cheetah chairs.

The website must use frames or something because all of the pages have the same address.
And those chairs are hilarious. :))

The scorpion is smashing, by the way.