News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun - New for 2018

Started by bmathison1972, December 03, 2017, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

No one has started a Mojo thread, so I guess I will. I admit, I am snagging these from STS Forum. If anyone from Mojo objects to them being here, I will delete the images promptly.

In no particular order:

black bear, cub

rabbit, standing

domestic turkey

Jack Russell terrier

rabbit, laying

great-horned owl

Labrador, adult

Labrador, puppy

otter

chameleon

cobra [looks like a king cobra]

Friesian, gelding

manta ray

spotted eagle ray

chimpanzee

humphead wrasse

Shibba Enu

thoroughbred horse

Dutch warmblood

mustangs (two color forms)

elephant seal

walrus

AnimalToyForum

Some of these are quite nice and, in the case of the humphead wrasse, the first example of this species in toy form (correct me if I'm wrong!).

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 03, 2017, 07:51:12 PM
Some of these are quite nice and, in the case of the humphead wrasse, the first example of this species in toy form (correct me if I'm wrong!).

yeah, other than the dogs and horses I like them.

I believe the humphead wrasse has been made by the Japanese manufacturers a couple times, at least by Kaiyodo (Aqualand resin model) and I believe Kitan Club - Nature Techni Colour. But this might be a first for outside of Japan.

Badger

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 03, 2017, 07:57:55 PM
I believe the humphead wrasse has been made by the Japanese manufacturers a couple times, at least by Kaiyodo (Aqualand resin model) and I believe Kitan Club - Nature Techni Colour. But this might be a first for outside of Japan.

I believe there is also a Colorata Humphead Wrasse (the larger, green-blue fish in the image below).

(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

stargatedalek

Humphead wrasses of indeterminate species have also been done cheaply by dollar store sets a couple of times, but it's unlikely any of them were meant as anything other than the humphead wrasse itself.

Even if the species choices are rather uninspired if you ask me Mojo still gets#2 this year for variety. The Veiled Chameleon is the only one that gets my attention, wonder how large it is.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 03, 2017, 10:02:19 PM
Even if the species choices are rather uninspired if you ask me Mojo still gets#2 this year for variety. The Veiled Chameleon is the only one that gets my attention, wonder how large it is.

I agree, and they probably are not done releasing figures! I also find the cobra, wrasse, and owl nice. And the standing rabbit gets me for some reason LOL. My guess is the chameleon is probably in the range of a Safari Wildlife model. Not large like the I.C. line.

AnimalToyForum

Rossano

I really like the Chameleon, from this pic it's the best feeling I ever had from a chameleon model since now.

Very nice the Humphead wrasse, bony fishes are very rare in the major producers catalogues.

brontodocus

I've seen on Mojö Fun's FB page that they named the blue fish "Blue Groper", so still a member of the Wrasse family, but a different species, most likely Achoerodus gouldii. The only problem I see is that the distinct hump on the forehead is characteristic for the Humphead Wrasse, not so much for the Blue Gropers, from photos I've been looking at it seems that even very large specimens only have a very shallow hump at best. Still, according to Mojö Fun's id this may be a species that has not even been made by a Japanese manufacturer before! :o

bmathison1972

Updated with another horse.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on December 04, 2017, 08:34:53 PM
...not so much for the Blue Gropers, from photos I've been looking at it seems that even very large specimens only have a very shallow hump at best.

Blue 'Gropers'?? Well, we have an orange one here in the U.S...  8) :P :-X >:D C:-)

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 05, 2017, 12:09:01 PM
...not so much for the Blue Gropers, from photos I've been looking at it seems that even very large specimens only have a very shallow hump at best.

Blue 'Gropers'?? Well, we have an orange one here in the U.S...  8) :P :-X >:D C:-)
Hilarious name, isn't it?  ;D When I first read Mojö Fun's post I thought it was a typo and thought that one doesn't look like a grouper to me... but then I read that they are really named Blue Gropers...

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on December 05, 2017, 08:10:22 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 05, 2017, 12:09:01 PM

Hilarious name, isn't it?  ;D When I first read Mojö Fun's post I thought it was a typo and thought that one doesn't look like a grouper to me... but then I read that they are really named Blue Gropers...

And here I thought I was making bad political humor. LOL.  Updating tonight with another horse.

I have to say, I am not a generalist, and when I was I would rarely buy a horse that wasn't part of a larger set, but if I was a generalist I would probably buy the thoroughbred I posted yesterday! To me, that's the quintessential horse :).

bmathison1972

updated with a pair of mustangs and an elephant seal. These are Maia & Borges models; Mojo has recently collaborated with M&B and will be releasing some of their sculpts with updated paint jobs.

bmathison1972

Added a walrus; might be another M&B sculpt.

Stuckasaurus

How large are the elephant seal and walrus figures? Do we know?

Orcinus Ocean

There have been more items added to their site, including this sperm whale:

http://www.mojofun.eu/product/sperm-whale/

Which, I have to say, looks exactly like (and I do mean in every last detail) the Papo sperm whale being retired just now.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Mojo: https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-qnjeuni46r/images/stencil/500x500/products/8246/16322/Mojo_387210_Sperm_Whale__43085.1516164152.jpg?c=2
Papo: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81L529ZA86L._SL1500_.jpg

Keaton64

Quote from: Orcinus Ocean on April 26, 2018, 12:32:39 PM

Which, I have to say, looks exactly like (and I do mean in every last detail) the Papo sperm whale being retired just now.

It's because this whale along with several other recent mojo sea life figures actually belong to another company called Maia & Borges.  These figures get licensed out to other figure manufacturers occasionally, and thankfully so.  Some of the whales were produced by Schleich around the early 2000s and were getting very difficult to find for a decent price until Papo & Mojo started making them as well.

Stuckasaurus

Quote from: Keaton64 on April 30, 2018, 11:43:41 PM

It's because this whale along with several other recent mojo sea life figures actually belong to another company called Maia & Borges.  These figures get licensed out to other figure manufacturers occasionally, and thankfully so.  Some of the whales were produced by Schleich around the early 2000s and were getting very difficult to find for a decent price until Papo & Mojo started making them as well.

Does anybody have some version of this whale, whether Mojo, Papo, or otherwise? I've had my eye out for the old MBA Sperm Whale, but keep missing my chance. Looking at the stats on the Mojo website, it seems like theirs is comparable in size. If that's the case, I may forgo my search for a cheap MBA specimen and get the the Mojo instead.

sbell

Quote from: Keaton64 on April 30, 2018, 11:43:41 PM

You can definitely see the M&B influence in some of their other new sealife--like the 'bull shark' that is clearly based on a sand tiger shark.