Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Coconut Crab (Colorata - Yanbaru Creatures)  (Read 473 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Coconut Crab (Colorata - Yanbaru Creatures)
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »
Walk-around of the coconut crab, Birgus latro (Linnaeus, 1767) by Colorata, Yanbaru Creatures, No. 8, new for 2017. The coconut crab is the largest terrestrial hermit crab (but only their young utilize an abandoned mollusk shell for protection). It occurs on many islands throughout the Indian and South Pacific Oceans, including Japan, hence it's inclusion in a set of animals from Yanbaru, a forested region of Okinawa Island.

Colorata figures are hard to get individually. I had to buy the whole set. Luckily I found a buyer on STS forum to take the remainders. I sold him the six non-arthropods for half the cost of the set. Still, I saved money this way rather than if I had I bought them individually (and who knows when that opportunity would have come along). I let him have the collector's box but since I paid the fees, I took the booklet :).

The figure is a single-piece of plastic. Based on the carapace width (20 mm), the figure is roughly 1:10 in size. It comes with a nicely-detailed habitat-style base. Small holes on the underside of the crab and the upper side of the base allow it to be snugly, yet not permanently, attached to is base. The rod is clear and can be cut to the desired length.

Coconut crabs are surprisingly rare as toys. This is only my fourth, the others being by Epoch (Poisonous Creatures - yes, despite that this crab is a delicacy, it can be poisonous to eat depending on its diet), Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection), and Kaiyodo (Okinawa Figure Collection).

On to the pics:

Finally, its page from the accompanying booklet:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:38:38 PM by bmathison1972 »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Crab (Colorata - Yanbaru Creatures)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
Someone on STS wanted a comparison shot of the coconut crab figures, so here they are (given Safari's run of crustaceans, might we see one of these one day?):

1. Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs Collection)
2. Colorata (Yanbaru Creatures)
3. Kaiyodo (Okinawa Collection)
4. Epoch (Poisonous Creatures)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Coconut Crab (Colorata - Yanbaru Creatures)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
Quite nice and crisp detail on this one, especially since the Colorata figures are quite soft! :)