News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Sega Beetles

Started by bmathison1972, November 19, 2017, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

So, I have been acquiring a lot of Sega beetles lately, and there has been some interest on STS to review them. So, this post is specifically the Sega beetles I have in my personal collection.

Sega made A LOT of sets containing primarily, if not entirely, stag beetles (Lucanidae) and rhinoceros beetles (Scaraebaeidae: Dynastinae). That is a lot of figures for only two suprageneric taxa! Figures can vary from very small to very large; some are solid, some are articulated; some require assembly, others not; some are flying; some are on bases. Many are marketed under the brand 'Mushi King' which I believe is a Pokemon-like card game. Beetle Guy on the AFT is an expert on Sega beetle figures and I am sure he will embellish more on what I am presenting here.

The thread is not to do a comprehensive review of all Sega figures, but rather to highlight the sets and figures in my personal collection (and frankly, help me organize what is what--when you get so many versions of the same species, it can be hard to keep things straight!).

Feel free to comment all you want, but as with my 'Bug of the Day' thread I ask that you do not post images to this thread. I want everything to be mine for logistical reasons.

So, without further rambling, here are my Sega beetles. Posts will be updated as I add figures.

1. Large series, standard. These are very large figures, many probably 1:1 if not larger. I am not sure how many were made, but at the time of this writing, I have the following four. All are stamped with the year 2003. Some assembly (legs) are required.

Left to right, top to bottom: Mesotopus tarandus, Dorcus titanus palawanicus, Allotopus rosenbergi, Megasoma actaeon.

Update 12/27/2018, a couple more of the large, standard figures: Megasoma elephas and Hexarthrius mandibularis.

2. Large Series, DX.
These are the 'Deluxe' versions of the larger figures, with slightly better materials and paint jobs (although the large standard figures are very nice as they are). Again, I am not sure how many were made, nor are any of them stamped with the year they were released. Like the standard figures, some assembly is required, the legs and sometimes the prothorax-mesothorax juncture.

From left to right, top to bottom:
Prosopocoilus giraffa, Dorcus alcides, Megasoma actaeon, Megasoma mars, Dorcus titanus palawanicus

From left to right, top to bottom:
Mesotopus tarandus, Dynasts hyllus, Allomyrina dichotoma, Dynastes hercules

3. Small Series, standard
This is the largest series I believe. There were (at least) 100 figures spread over 10+ sets. While there are a few duplications for color morphs, etc., the vast majority of the figures represent different species. At the time of this writing I have 62 of them. They are small, roughly gashapon-sized, single-piece plastic and very realistic for their size. Many are unique at the species if not genus level! The following are shown in alphabetical order for my convenience:

From left to right, top to bottom: Aegus platyodon, Allomyrina dichotoma, Allomyrina pfeifferi celebensis, Allotopus rosenbergi, Augosoma centaurus, Beckius beccarii, Beckius koletta, Chalcosoma caucasus, Chalcosoma moellenkampi, Chiasognathus granti, Cyclommatus elephus, Dipelicus cantori.

The Dorcus species, left to right, top to bottom: D. alcides, D. grandis, D. hopei binodulosus, D. rectus, D. rubrofemoratus, D. tityus.

The Dynastes species, left to right, top to bottom: D. granti, D. hercules, D. hercules (blue morph), D. hyllus, D. neptunus, D. satanas.

Left to right, top to bottom: Eupatorus gracilicornis, E. gracilicornis edai, Eupatorus hardwickei, Eupatorus siamensis, Golofa claviger, Heterogomphus hirtus, Hexarthrius forsteri, Hexarthrius mandibularis, Homoderus mellyi.

Left to right, top to bottom: Lamprima adolphinae, Licomedes buckleyi, Lucanus gamunus, Megasoma actaeon, Megasoma gyas rumbucheri, Megasoma mars, Mesotopus tarandus, Neolucanus delicatus, Neolucanus maximus.

Odontolabis species, left to right, top to bottom: O. burmeisteri, O. cypri, O. duivenbodei, O. imperialis, O. spectabilis.

Left to right, top to bottom: Oryctes gigas, Prosopocoilus fabricea, P. giraffa, P. hasterti, P. inclinatus, P. wallacei, Rhaetulus didieri, Rhaetulus speciosus.

Left to right, top to bottom: Rhyssonotus nebulosus, Scapenes australis, Sphaenognathus feistameli, Strategus mandibularis, Trichogomphus martabani, Xylotrupes gideon, X. pubescens.

Update 1/27/2018: Three more small size, standard: Megasoma anubis (new species for me), Dorcus titanus pilifer (new subspecies), and Chalcosoma atlas.

Update 12/27/2018. Three more small size, standard: Odontolabis alces (new species for me), Lucanus maculifemoratus, and Hexarthrius parryi:

4. Small series, DX
These are the 'DX' versions of the small standard figures. I know very little about them, and at the time of this writing I only have the following two (Allotopus rosenbergi and Golofa porteri). I doubt there are 100 different figures, however.

update 12/18/2017. More DX small. Odontolabis burmeisteri (tentative ID, putting mandibular structure over color) and Chalcosoma caucasus:

5. Mushi King.
There are several sets under the name 'Mushi King' (I think they were all affiliated with card games). If I remember, my twelve figures are from two sets of 6. They are all stamped '2003'. I am not sure how many others came like this on bases. They can swivel on the bases but cannot be removed from them.

Left to right, top to bottom: Megasoma elephas, Dorcus hopei, Mesotopus tarandus, Lucanus maculifemoratus, Dynastes neptunus, Dynastes hercules, Dynastes granti, Allomyrina dichotoma, Odontolabis burmeisteri, Prosopocoilus giraffa, Allotopus rosenbergi, Chalcosoma caucasus.

6. Mushi King – magnet set
These six figures are small, even smaller than the small standard and DX sets. I have six figures, which probably represents a complete set but I am not sure. They all have a small, unobtrusive magnet on the underside.

Left to right, top to bottom: Chalcosoma caucasus, Dorcus grandis, Allotopus rosenbergi, Dynastes hercules, Megasoma actaeon, Mesotopus tarandus

update 12/18/2017, more small magnet figures. Left to right: Allomyrina dichotoma, Hexarthrius mandibularis, Dynastes hercules (blue morph), Dorcus hopei

7. Mushi King – Flying Beetles
There were at least two sets of beetles depicted in flight. I have a complete set from 2005 and a partial set from 2006. Some assembly is required, notably, the attachment of the elytra and flying wings, sometimes also the pro-mesothorax juncture. They are all elevated on clear rods and bases and attach in a hole on the bottom of the prothorax (making the figures a little back-heavy). The PVC is relatively soft on these. Where species are duplicated, the sculpts are not 100% identical.

2005 set (complete), clockwise from top: Allomyrina dichotoma, Prosopocoilus giraffa, Dorcus hopei, Dorcus rectus, Mesotopus tarandus, Dynastes hercules.

2006 (partial), clockwise from upper left: Dynastes hercules (blue morph), Chalcosoma moellenkampi, Prosopocoilus giraffa, Dynastes satanas.

8. Mushi King – Fighting Beetles
These figures seem to have been made for some game whereby one figure can 'flip' over another by means of an articulation between the pro- and mesothorax. Again, I am not sure how many there are, but my figures are stamped with years 2003, 2005, and 2006 so there were at least three sets. These are normally something I would not collect, but after getting a few free from Beetle Guy, I decided to invest in more.

Left to right, top to bottom: Dynastes neptunus, Dorcus hopei, Hexarthrius mandibularis, Chalcosoma atlas, Xylotrupes gideon, Prosopocoilus inclinatus, Megasoma actaeon, Allomyrina dichotoma (black), Eupatorus gracillicornis, Odontolabis burmeisteri, Allomyrina dichotoma (brown), Rhaetulus speciosus, Dynastes hyllus.

9. Trunk Figures
These figures are small (the tree trunks are roughly 20 mm long) and single-piece plastic. I am not sure if this set if complete or not (or maybe multiple sets together), but it's one of my favorites. Because of their small size, it was sometimes hard to confirm the identifications.

1. Lucanus maculifemoratus
2. Mesotopus tarandus
3. Dorcus rectus
4. Dorcus hopei
5. Hexarthrius mandibularis
6. Prosopocoilus inclinatus
7. Megasoma elephas
8. Chalcosoma moellenkampi

9. Dynastes granti
10. Allotopus rosenbergi
11. Xyotrupes gideon
12. Allomyrina dichotoma
13. Chalcosoma atlas
14. Chalcosoma caucasus
15. Dynastes herculus
16. Allomyrina dichotoma (anime style)

10. Miscellaneous figures
These are random figures made by Sega. The largest is a two-piece Lucanus maculifemoratus. The seven 'mini' figures (which might not be part of the same set) include Chalcosoma atlas, Dorcus hopei, Allotopus rosenbergi, Prosopocoilus inclinatus, Eupatorus gracillicornis, and Odontolabis burmeisteri (identifications on the Chalcosoma, Dorcus, and Odontolabis are tentative due to their small size and lack of detail). The silver figures are a Dorcus species (Neolucanus?) and Prosopocoilus giraffa. The gold one is Allomyrina dichotoma. Lastly, there are two 'anime' style A. dichotoma. I was debating on whether or not I would retain them.

11. A different series of small figures, described as 'intermediate' between the small standard and small DX, Megasoma actaeon, M. elephas, and Cyclommatus elaphus.

12. A set of Mushi King 'shooters'. The figures apparently came with (mine were sold to me without) devices to propel the figures. The figures have a small, soft peg on the underside that I presume is used for attachment to the devices. These figures are actually very nice, and some are nicer than their small series, standard counterparts!
Left to right, top to bottom: Dynastes hyllus, Megasoma elaphus, Allomyrhina dichotoma, Prosopocoilus wallacei, Odontolabis cypri, Allotopus rosenbergi, Odontolabis burmeisteri.

Beetle guy

thanks for the effort Blaine!!  I will post all the DX Sega ones coming weeks. Most of them I have posted. I will also do a post that shows the series.

The small deLuxe ones, do not represent so many species. I will post also this week the ones I have and mention the ones I do not, but know they are made.
To beetle or not to beetle.

Beetle guy

Blaine, I am about to post the entire Sega small beetles series with species names.
I have painstakingly researched all the Japanese names.

Thought you will be pleased to know that the Golofa pizarro is actually a Golofa claviger..which means a new species for you!!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 12, 2018, 09:18:51 PM
Blaine, I am about to post the entire Sega small beetles series with species names.

Thought you will be pleased to know that the Golofa pizarro is actually a Golofa claviger..which means a new species for you!!

thanks for the effort. I actually have a G. claviger (Kabaya - World Insect Series 1).

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 12, 2018, 10:38:40 PM
Quote from: Beetle guy on January 12, 2018, 09:18:51 PM

thanks for the effort. I actually have a G. claviger (Kabaya - World Insect Series 1).

I should have known  :o

bmathison1972

So, interesting, while I only have 60/100 figures, I am only missing 8 species (I am missing some re-releases, color variants, and alternate subspecies). But at the species level I am only missing:
Chalcosoma atlas
Lucanus maculifemoratus
Hexarthrius parryi
Dorcus titanus pilifer [this would be a new subspecies for me]
Dorcus titanus palawanicus
Golofa poteri
Megasoma anubis [this would be an entirely new species for me]
Odontolabis alces [this would be an entirely new species for me]
Dynastes tityus [new species]

Would be nice to get the solid brown D. hercules as well (dark pronotum); but otherwise I do not need to color variants and re-releases.

Beetle guy

BTW what you name"small DX" (the A. rosenbergi and G. porterie) belong to the same series as the O. burmeisteri and C. caucasus.  ;)

bmathison1972

Thanks to Beetle Guy, I added three more small series, standard figures (shown above in the first post): Megasoma anubis (new species for me), Dorcus titanus pilifer (new subspecies), and Chalcosoma atlas. I think now I am only missing 5 species in that series!

Beetle guy

bmathison1972

updated this thread with 15 more figures, again courtesy of BeetleGuy! :)

I only need two more species from the original set of small figures: Dynastes tityus and Dorcus t. palawanicus.

Beetle guy

Concerning number 11.
Megasoma actaeon and Cyclommatus elaphus are "small DX".
M. elephas is from a series including 8 beetles on bases.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on December 28, 2018, 03:49:19 PM
Concerning number 11.
Megasoma actaeon and Cyclommatus elaphus are "small DX".
M. elephas is from a series including 8 beetles on bases.

I'm just using the terminology you sold them to me under :)