News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2018

Started by bmathison1972, November 02, 2017, 11:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

With many thanks to Numaan on the STS who is generously sending me CollectA 2018 pics as they get formally announced.

African civet

ring-tailed lemur

bongo, calf (to compliment the adult from 2017)

musk ox

Pere David's Deer

white-tailed deer

hippopotamus

sperm whale

blue whale

gray whale

common zebra

Friesian, foal

quarter horse, foal

Morgan Bay - deluxe model

Belgian Mare, chestnut

Falabella Mare, Palomino

Warmblood Stallion - Bay

Icelandic stallion - blue dun

Box of Mini Horses

Box of Mini Farm Life

There will be updates weekly, and I will update this thread as Numaan gets me images.

sbell

I really like the civet, nice to see one done! Now just a matter of finding a source for CollectA...

Varanus

Badger

Finally, a major company has released a civet and a pretty good one at that. This figure is a definite must-buy for me.

Apart from that, we just have a baby version of an animal that was released this year and more horses.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

Rossano

just got the news by mail, same comments that I read here

I am sure more news are coming, and the Civet is a very welcome enlargement in the coverage of lesser known whole families like Viverridae. Actually I had hoped that the first one might have been a Bitnurong, but the Civet is a nice pic anyway. I only consider a lost opportunity not having shown the very particular crest of longer and straight fur on the back of the animal, that in the model is shown not erected.

bmathison1972

Just updated with five more, but they are all hoofed mammals, and four are equines. Let's hope there is more taxonomic diversity going forward...(although that deer is pretty darn cool!).

Rossano

I think that maybe this Pere David's Deer is the only one deer model I ever saw that I definitely am sure I DO want to have.

Impressive detail and natural outlook, great achievement, on a not that obvious species.

Compliments.

Rossano

On the horses side, I really wonder if children go THAT crazy for horses.

My son takes riding lessons, dressage is the biggest sports passion of her mother, and it is quite normal that he likes horses models, but he wanted to have 5 out of nearly 80 models now.

Really surprised, but if they produce all those horses, I have to consider that they sell all those horses.

Rossano

You don't discuss dinos at all here? Only on the other forum?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Rossano on November 11, 2017, 02:19:25 AM
You don't discuss dinos at all here? Only on the other forum?

Typically, dinosaurs are not posted here because of the accompanying Dino Toy Forum (DTF). However I have the CollecA dinosaur pics and would be happy to post them if it's ok with Adam (frankly, I wish we would post extinct/prehistoric critters on this forum as well, if only for completeness--however we can leave the fantasy creatures out!)

Rossano

completely agree, "dinos" also here (because into the extinct animals there are many ones who are already mammals and have very strict relations with extant ones) and out fantasy characters with animal-shaped bodies.

bmathison1972

Updated with five more releases. Nice sculpts but nothing out-of-the-ordinary in terms of species, but I particularly like the gray whale. Still all mammals. If the chatter on the STS is correct, we may not get arthropods, birds, reptiles, nor amphibians this year. But we will see in the long run.

stargatedalek

Getting only mammals would be a shame. Though if that long list was deliberate, maybe we've still got hope for some nice fish. ;)

Rossano

The ring-tailed lemur is not a new species, but for what I know is the best made on the market.

The most common deer makes a really beautiful pair with Pere David's, I always wanted to have a deer in my collection but never found one from major producers who really pleased me. Now two in one single batch. Great. Anyway I prefer Per's David, really a must have for me.

Good shot on the Gray Whale too, even if those barnacles look too big to me, and I really don't like seeing those details, even if they are realistic.

So-and-so the Blue whale, at least from this picture there's something cartooonish in the way the head is shaped, and the colour choosen looks a bit dull, even if my son pointed out correctly that it makes look the model a bit more realistic in confrontation with our Schleich's model, that is really "blue".

If I had a shop selling these new ones I would buy the civet, the lemur, the zebra, Pere David's deer, and the grey whale.

Badger

From DTF:
QuoteSome good and bad news from the STS.
Good news, confirmed number of CollectA figures for next reveal, including extant animals.
Bad news, there will only be 3 models.

All I can really hope for next reveal is that the extant figures don't contain any horses and contain actually interesting (or even somewhat interesting) species of animal.

Update: It is confirmed that the above statement applies to all of the next reveal.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

bmathison1972

Quote from: Badger on November 23, 2017, 04:03:51 PM
From DTF:
QuoteSome good and bad news from the STS.
Good news, confirmed number of CollectA figures for next reveal, including extant animals.
Bad news, there will only be 3 models.

All I can really hope for next reveal is that the extant figures don't contain any horses and contain actually interesting (or even somewhat interesting) species of animal.

Update: It is confirmed that the above statement applies to all of the next reveal.

I should have pics of extant animals soon and will post as soon as I can. It's a holiday here so I may be away for the rest of the day...

bmathison1972

OK, updates are up. All mammals, and technically all hoofed mammals, now that Cetacea is within Artiodactyla  C:-) .

I think this is it for CollectA extant animals...

Nice models but I hope the lull in taxonomic diversity is a temporary thing as they work on new models for upcoming years.

stargatedalek

If I ever find them sold individually I may get that miniature goose, and nothing from their extinct line particularly grabbed my eye either this year.

Makes it easier buying that wonderful giant lobster from Safari this year at least.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2017, 01:43:45 AM
If I ever find them sold individually I may get that miniature goose, and nothing from their extinct line particularly grabbed my eye either this year.

Makes it easier buying that wonderful giant lobster from Safari this year at least.

yes for a second year in a row I think Safari has dominated.

If I was a generalist, I'd buy the farm tube since I am a fan of taxonomically diverse TOOB/tube/box sets.

Rossano

The musk ox looks really great, the comparison with Safari's new one is totally in favour of Collecta's. I should add "judging from the photos", but I really think there is no doubt.

The hyppo and the sperm whale look good too, but not that exciting, even if I would like to see them in real. Size matters, too, about these animals.

Just curious: did Collecta release the measures of these new models?