News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Three B's: Bos, Bubalus, Bison (and other Bovini)

Started by brontodocus, January 08, 2013, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Papo Wild Animals Yak, Bos mutus (Przewalski, 1883) = Bos grunniens mutus. Shoulder height 76 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:26. Human figure is approx. 1:22.5 scale.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

postsaurischian

:) That's a lovely Yak!

Yesterday I watched one of these German TV zoo shows :-[ ;D - they showed a herd of five female Yaks having fun in the snow. Papo's figure looks just like them.
        Oh ... and the Preiser woman is a nice scale figure, too :).

Ana

Another star from Papo, wonderful figure!!! Thank You for sharing photos :D  :))

brontodocus

Thanks, Helge & Ana! :) This one here is apparently supposed to be the wild form, other colours (e.g. the Schleich Yak) are obviously representing domesticated yaks. Oh, the woman is by Pola, from a set of three figures named "Mr. Speedy" or "Herr Eilig".

AnimalToyForum

Yakety yak (don't talk back)  :))

Great post :)

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 08, 2013, 04:41:29 PM
Thanks, Helge & Ana! :) This one here is apparently supposed to be the wild form, other colours (e.g. the Schleich Yak) are obviously representing domesticated yaks. Oh, the woman is by Pola, from a set of three figures named "Mr. Speedy" or "Herr Eilig".

I dont know this information, thanks for share friend  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Walk-around of the 2013 CollectA Wild Animals Saola or Vu Quang Bovid, Pseudoryx nghetinhensis Dung et al., 1993. The real species is one of the rarest extant mammals and only a handful of living specimens have ever been seen. Snout-vent length is 86 mm plus approx. 19 mm tail, shoulder height is 49 mm and horn length 36 mm. Unfortunately the horns are a little too long, the longest recorded horns are about 450 mm long, not more than about half of the shoulder height. The scale is approx. 1:17 - 1:18.

Jetoar

I think that, Collecta is the king of antelope figures  ^-^. This figure is a good example ^-^.

postsaurischian

Cute thing!

1:18 qualifies it for my antelope collection :)[goes and gets it]

Ana

Very very nice :D I hope to get it soon as well :D

widukind

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar, Helge, Ana, and widukind! :) I guess this is one of the most important bovid figures of this year and definitely worth getting.

OkapiBoy

Its beautiful, wish it was now available here in the US. Cant wait to finally own this figure.

brontodocus

Following Jetoar's walk-around of the retired Schleich version, here is the Bullyland Animal World Woodland Wisent or European Bison, Bison bonasus (Linnaeus, 1758). Snout-vent length is approx. 110 mm, shoulder height is 72 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:24 - 1:27. Human figure (walking man from Safari Ltd People in Motion Toob) is approx. 1:23 - 1:27 scale.
Being Europe's largest extant land mammal, it was once a widespread species but had been nearly wiped out with only a handful of captive specimens surviving after World War I. In the wild the Białowieża population went extinct in 1919 and the Caucasian population in 1927. Later breeding programs were quite successful, though, and the species has been reintroduced in Białowieża National Park (Poland and Belarus), Southeast Poland, Western Caucasus (Russia), Slovakia, Romania, and, very recently, Germany, too. The total population in the wild may be around 1000 mature individuals now and IUCN downgraded the species from "Endangered" to "Vulnerable" in 2008. In April 2013, eight individuals were reintroduced in the Rothaar Mountains in Germany (just about 150 Km from where I live) after it went extinct in the late Middle Ages.

West meets East - Schleich 2014 Bison and Bullyland 2013 Wisent:

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Thanks for share Brontodocus, I was waiting to see it because it is one of my favorite mammals. It is wonderful and I sure that I will buy in a future i  can. One of the atractive of this figure is the stan with a walking position  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) It's definitely worth getting, much better than most of Bullyland's wildlife figures. The fur texture may be more crude than other major brands would do it but for a Bullyland the detail couldn't be better, I suppose.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on February 02, 2014, 10:28:08 PM
Thanks, Jetoar! :) It's definitely worth getting, much better than most of Bullyland's wildlife figures. The fur texture may be more crude than other major brands would do it but for a Bullyland the detail couldn't be better, I suppose.

Yes, I am very surprised with the detail of the hair. Bullyland have done a great work with this figure  ^-^.

brontodocus

American Bison figures are iconic and have always been very popular. After being hunted nearly to extinction in the 19th century, the species now has stable populations but is conservation dependent and has only a fragmentary distribution, so IUCN lists it as "Near Threatened".
This year, Schleich has released an amazing, crisply detailed, new sculpt. Like Schleich has done with a few other figures, the eyes and nostrils have a "wet look" since a more glossy paint was applied here than on the rest of the figure.
So here is the walk-around of the Schleich Wild Life American Bison, Bison bison (Linnaeus, 1758). Snout-vent length is approx. 100 mm and shoulder height 74 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:21 - 1:25. Human figure (walking man from Safari Ltd People in Motion Toob) is approx. 1:23 - 1:27 scale.
Here is a link to the figure at Schleich's homepage: http://www.schleich-s.com/en/GB/toys/wild_life_american_bison/

Jetoar

Lovely figure, Its is very similar to the last version, but with more details  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) I think it's really a major improvement compared to previous versions.