News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Butterflies on Strings (Bullyland)

Started by bmathison1972, August 14, 2017, 10:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Continuing the butterflies sets with one more (and last for now), Butterflies on Strings (provisional name) by Bullyland. Release date unknown, but probably in the 1990s.

This set consists of eight figures. They are comparable in size with Safari LTD and K&M tube-style figures and are made with a thicker, heavier PVC. The figures were originally sold suspended on strings (as if to be displayed hanging), with the strings attached to the upper thorax by means of a small screw. I have removed the screw and strings, but it leaves a rather obvious hole in the top of the thorax. The figures do not have extended legs, but they are sculpted as ridges on the underside of the body.

Being traditional Bullyland, a German company, all the figures (except one) represent species native to Europe, a refreshing change! It is fun sometimes when sets are geographically specialized.

On to the figures, in no particular order:

1. Old World swallowtail, Papilio machaon.
This species is not commonly made, and outside of a couple feves or refrigerator magnets, the only other figures I am aware of are larvae by Kaiyodo and Shineg.

2. the red admiral, Vanessa atalanta.
Made a few times previously, most-notably by Skillcraft and Toy Major.

3. the common morpho, Morpho peleides.
This is the only non-European/Holarctic species in the set. It has been previously made by Furuta and four times by Safari LTD.

4. the common brimstone, Gonepteryx rhamni.
While probably unique as a toy figure, I do have one as a French feve.

5. the Eros blue, Polyommatus eros.
This one is a unique figure, although two other members of the genus have been made.

6. the painted lady, Vanessa cardui.
Insect Lore did a nice life cycle of this species as well. The paint job could be better on this one.

7. small tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae.
CollectA did a nice adult of this species, and Beam made a larva [tentative ID by me].

8. the European peacock, Aglais io.
Made twice by K&M International (Butterflies Mini Polybag and Butterflies Nature Tube); I also have this species as three different French feves.