News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best Crocodile Figure?

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2019, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I'm looking to buy my little boy a crocodile for his growing animal collection. Which, IYHO, is the best one to go with? I'd prefer a smaller scale one as opposed to the big ones Safari Ltd makes.

bmathison1972

Hi Suspsy! I had a similar dilemma when I was doing the reptiles for my Synoptic Collection. I studied a lot of the walkarounds, especially those by brontodocus, who analyzed the scutes well. What I learned is few crocodiles are accurate for the species they represent. From brontodocus' walkarounds, and the opinions of others, I finally settled on the 2015 Schleich Nile crocodile (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1402.0).

Southlands Replicas is supposedly finishing up a saltwater crocodile, so that figure will be a given, for sure for that species!

EDIT: I just read this was for your kid. The Schleich Nile croc does have a movable jaw, if that matters (i.e., is your kid likely to play with it rough and potentially break it?)

suspsy

Yes, that is the one I am currently leaning towards. It strikes me as fairly durable even with a moveable jaw, and it's pretty cheap. I don't think I want to get him the upcoming Southlands Replicas one because it looks like it'll be relatively expensive, and therefore more of a hassle to replace should it get damaged.

I'm still interested in hearing other people's opinions, though.

Advicot

If I was you I would go for the Schleich. It's easy to get hold of, detailed and pretty cheap. As well what does the Southlands croc look like? I'm guessing it'll be a saltwater crocodile.  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

suspsy

Yes, it's a saltie. SR has prototype images on their Facebook.

Advicot

Thanks, I've just taken a look. It looks huge and amazing.  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!